Stuck in a job rut

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK with the job application.

22 years old is young Though I bet you don’t agree. I would suggest you think of what interests you and think of a career around that.

I'm 53 and have spent this week upset because I don’t want to go back to work! I spent 30 years in bookkeeping, rose to a good position but left it to do something different.

then spent a few years working for a divorce lawyer. Had to step away from that because she was a huge bully.

Then went back to admin, but the business was sold, and the new owners were as dodgy as duck so I walked away from that.

I've spent a few weeks being angry, upset and licking my wounds that I’ve had to leave two jobs I absolutely LOVED through no fault of my own, so I’m going back to bookkeeping but self employed.

I don’t want to work and have been through a lot in the last few years but needs must, and I’ve reached the age where I can put me first a little, so I’ve gone for a job that will give me a decent hourly rate AND be my own boss.

So my advice would be to try as many different things as possible until you find an industry or job you want to pursue. You will not have this carefree time without a spouse, partner or children for many years, so be selfish and take a few risks!

Make as many friends and contacts as you can too because experience has taught me opportunities come from that, but equally don’t expect anything from anyone because people can be crappy. If they’re crappy, move on, life will deal with them, it really will.

Finally, don’t look upon anything as failure AS LONG AS you learn from it, and go out there and have a blast.
There’s some really good advice here that I’m taking for myself ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
There’s some really good advice here that I’m taking for myself ❤
Ah thank you ❤

Following on from yesterday, I’ve just read this and think it might be worthwhile bringing here.

Psychiatrist thinks you should change your life every 10 years

#

Reactions: 4
Good luck with the job application!

I'm not sure many people know what they want to do at 22, to be honest. Experts now believe our brains don't fully mature until we're about 25.

I'm 47 and just started retraining into a new career. I see you're in Scotland - have you considered the Open University as an alternative route to a degree? It's a lot cheaper if you live in Scotland, a 30 point module is £534 and if you earn under £25k a year you may be able to get a grant to cover it - not sure if that's just STEM subjects or all undergraduate and access courses.

Good luck with the job application!

I'm not sure many people know what they want to do at 22, to be honest. Experts now believe our brains don't fully mature until we're about 25.

I'm 47 and just started retraining into a new career. I see you're in Scotland - have you considered the Open University as an alternative route to a degree? It's a lot cheaper if you live in Scotland, a 30 point module is £534 and if you earn under £25k a year you may be able to get a grant to cover it - not sure if that's just STEM subjects or all undergraduate and access courses.
I think the open University wouldn't suit. I really don't do well with self directed learning. I just can't engage with it.

Reactions: 1
Yes, I am from a solidly working class background. My parents have no formal education. Only the wife of one of my cousins has any post secondary education.

I am interested in the property industry. I have saw a couple of apprentice surveyor roles nearby but I just don't think I would be up for it.

I do think I am able to adapt but I do require quite a structured environment and when I have it I do thrive. I think that's why I struggled with purely theoretical studies. I need to see it applied.

I'm quite good with keeping attention to detail. In a previous job I was assessing public funding so I do understand the need to have a good sense of attention to detail and having things accounted for especially when there's significant value and public funds involved.

Communication is probably a plus point too. I've worked in call centres so that's another thing. I do think I work well in a team as well as I can always muck in and do my bit to get tit done.

I'm not sure if I really am up to it or if I'm just a bit too dim and arrogant with higher expectations of myself than I really have. I never know if I always overestimate myself or not.

Animals is a definite no due to allergies and phobias. Healthcare I'm iffy about due to the shift patterns.
I work in Property, what about property interests you? Real Estate, Development, Investment side, Property Management or Leasing or surveying. Definitely recommend looking into a property degree, and then possible looking for part time work give yourself experience. Property offers alot of opportunities and you can work all over the world 🌎 ✨️ And your only 22 have plenty of time to decide what you want to do very young x

• Heart
I work in Property, what about property interests you? Real Estate, Development, Investment side, Property Management or Leasing or surveying. Definitely recommend looking into a property degree, and then possible looking for part time work give yourself experience. Property offers alot of opportunities and you can work all over the world 🌎 ✨️ And your only 22 have plenty of time to decide what you want to do very young x
I've applied for a few surveying roles. Not heard anything back.

I've always had an interest within working in the industry. I've got a really good attention to detail particularly so I think that would make me suited to surveying and development.

I don't think I'd like the hard sales approach of estate agency but I do know I would like to work in something property adjacent.

I've applied for a few surveying roles. Not heard anything back.

I've always had an interest within working in the industry. I've got a really good attention to detail particularly so I think that would make me suited to surveying and development.

I don't think I'd like the hard sales approach of estate agency but I do know I would like to work in something property adjacent.
I'm not sure about the England but I'm thinking you may need a degree. Why don't you follow up on the applications you sent, give them a call, speak to the hiring manager. Arrange go meet for a coffee, discuss what requirements are needed, how they succeeded in their career. People are only to happy to provide information & advice, see what course he/she done. That's how I fell into my own degree. See if there are opportunities to work and also study at the same time to gain experience 😄
---
https://www.rics.org/join-rics/rics...ics/assessment-of-professional-competence-apc

Contact Rics they are the body that look after surveyors, based in UK but all over the world. Once you begin working you undertake a pathway for 2 years to become a chartered surveyor. They will be able to advise you on the best route and of any uni courses in your area. 😄
---

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the England but I'm thinking you may need a degree. Why don't you follow up on the applications you sent, give them a call, speak to the hiring manager. Arrange go meet for a coffee, discuss what requirements are needed, how they succeeded in their career. People are only to happy to provide information & advice, see what course he/she done. That's how I fell into my own degree. See if there are opportunities to work and also study at the same time to gain experience 😄
---
https://www.rics.org/join-rics/rics...ics/assessment-of-professional-competence-apc

Contact Rics they are the body that look after surveyors, based in UK but all over the world. Once you begin working you undertake a pathway for 2 years to become a chartered surveyor. They will be able to advise you on the best route and of any uni courses in your area. 😄
---
I've applied for degree apprenticeships

Reactions: 3
No success whatsoever.

I think maybe it's best I give up on my hopes and resign myself to the fact that I'll never have a fulfilling career. All that's in my future is minimum wage.

• Sad
No success whatsoever.

I think maybe it's best I give up on my hopes and resign myself to the fact that I'll never have a fulfilling career. All that's in my future is minimum wage.
DON’T GIVE UP! I was like this in my early 20s and settled in a crappy job for years until I finally got a break. Keep going and don’t give in. Try find some resources in your local area to help with CV and interview techniques or maybe see if any firms will allow you some work experience for a few days surveyor experience.

It sucks to keep being told no but you’ll never know how close you are to a yes if you don’t keep trying. Big loves 💖

• Heart
Brief update: no success on the job front.

Got some really good advice from an interview I was rejected from. I was advised to study HNC Quantity Surveying at college. I was told the lack of my HNC was the only thing that stopped me from getting the job.

As a result,I've enrolled on the HNC course and I start on Monday. I'm doing it part time alongside working. My work didn't let me drop hours so I'll be working full time and studying one day a week.

I'll be looking for a new job too so there's that. Baby steps.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Brief update: no success on the job front.

Got some really good advice from an interview I was rejected from. I was advised to study HNC Quantity Surveying at college. I was told the lack of my HNC was the only thing that stopped me from getting the job.

As a result,I've enrolled on the HNC course and I start on Monday. I'm doing it part time alongside working. My work didn't let me drop hours so I'll be working full time and studying one day a week.

I'll be looking for a new job too so there's that. Baby steps.
This is amazing news! A big step in the right direction and hopefully having the necessary qualification will open up a new world of opportunities! Proud of you 💙

• Heart
I've just seen this thread, good luck to you. The analogy I have used with my Son (a fellow dyspraxic) is life is like a car journey, you can go to Brighton (we live in the Southeast but any journey will do) via the M23/A23 and get down there in 40 minutes or you can take the scenic London to Brighton bike ride route, enjoying the scenery as you go and you'll still end up in Brighton but will be the richer for the experience.

I knew what I wanted to do when I was about 10, the careers dept at my School told me it was an impossible dream (back in the 80's and despite being top set for everything) My Mum and Stepdad were never academic so I didn't bother to discuss it with them just basically gave up on School and scrapped my O levels then left School. At 19 I moved to the US and lived with my Dad, told him what I wanted to do and he knew there was a course at the local community college. I enrolled, then left due to funds, saved my money, got a job that fit in better with studying, went back and got my Commercial, multi, instrument pilots license. I was 23 when I started and 28 with a Son when I finished.

Last edited:
I’m a mum of 2 and up until I went on maternity leave in may 2022 I was just working as medical secretary. I’m now thinking of applying for British airways new pilot training programme. It’s my dream. I’m not sure how it’s going to work with two kids but I’m determined

• Heart
I’m a mum of 2 and up until I went on maternity leave in may 2022 I was just working as medical secretary. I’m now thinking of applying for British airways new pilot training programme. It’s my dream. I’m not sure how it’s going to work with two kids but I’m determined
My Son is too. Good luck any questions just ask.
Just apply, worry about the details if you make it past sift, going to be highly competitive.

• Heart