Struggling

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone,

I have a 5year old daughter who has asd, life is very challenging and i feel extremely depressed. I’m currently on anti-depressants and ant-anxiety tablets and I’m still really struggling. I have scoliosis myself... I’m really struggling to find a balance between work, being a mum, caring for my daughter, my eldest daughter is also struggling and has been referred for counselling at school- she’s only 9, whilst also myself Being in pain.

Most nightS I’m late out of work- last week was every night, I work in retail. On Friday, it was already 10 minutes past my shift and I asked if I could leave as I had to pick my children up. I explained that my daughter with autism struggles with routine change and likes everything done in a certain way, otherwise it makes her extremely distressed. Every evening it’s a struggle to get her home from my parents who look after her when I’m at work. She’ll have a massive melt down as she finds the transition really hard. I was spoken to horribly by my manager who patronised me in front of work colleagues... when I tried to get a word in she just stuck her hand up at me saying “we’ll talk About it Monday” over and over again to me. My floor manager was stood behind her, and was nodding and agreeing with me but the deputy manager was awful to me. This is the same manager that when I was on the front door counting in customers said that me needing a seat because of my scoliosis because I was in pain was unprofessional.

Can I just add they’ll keep us for a certain length of time then we’ll clock out and then stand by the front door for sometimes another 25 minutes to be let out as they lock the door.. whilst they are sat in the office.

I’ve phoned my union and are awaiting their call back however I feel sick at the thought of going into work today, my doctor has agreed to sign me off with stress/ depression and anxiety however, I’m worried they’ll think I’ve just not come in to avoid the issue that happened on Friday. My depression is at the point where most days I don’t see the point anymore.

I claim dla for my daughter middle rate care and low rate mobility, and have been told to look into Carers allowance. Work won’t let me drop another day as at the moment I earn over the limit. I’m finding everything very hard.

Long story short, I’m so worried about going in today as they aren’t supportive whatsoever

thankyou in advance

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Hey, I’m so sorry you’re feeling this way. My 5 year old has ASD and has the same struggles you have mentioned with transition etc. I haven’t got anything overly helpful to add. I just wanted to send a virtual hug because I know how hard it is. There are some days where I am so worn down by her. Other days I can handle it. It just depends on my own stress levels on the day. I hope you get some help from your union. I’m sure you are exhausted and feeling all kinds of mum guilt. Be kind to yourself. You are doing your best. There are other ASD mums on here who will probably have some helpful advice ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Seriously ..... duck THEM.

your employera sound like a bunch of cunts! The fact they make you feel bad for leaving work at the end of your shift says it all really.

if you work in retail is there any other places locally you could apply to?

you do not have to put up with being treated like this.

Totally agree with the other posters, duck the people at your workplace!
Sending you much love and really hope the union are able to help ❤

Reading this has broken my heart. I wish I could give you a huge hug, and show you that things won’t be like this forever.

As others have said, you really don’t have to put up with this treatment. Would you be worse off if you left and claimed for the carers allowance instead.

Life is too short to be feeling like this, and you sound like such a lovely caring mum too. I promise it will be okay. Sending you so much love.

Sounds like you definitely need to start looking for another job! Employers sound like dicks, your family come first

Honestly speak to acas or someone this is tantamount to constructive dismissal. You could take this all the way to a tribunal x

Hi so sorry for such a late reply thankyou for all your lovely comments and advice.

I went to work on Monday and was called in and the manager apologised to me which I wasn’t expecting. She said she had no idea of the situation at home... because they don’t read our files only on a need know basis.

I’m not sure if she was being supportive but it also felt a little bit pressuring that she kept on reccomending I give up work and just claim Carers allowance for my daughter... even when I said financially I’d be a lot worse off. She said “even if it’s just for 5 years till things settle down”.
She did say though if I need to go just ask, we’ve been quiet in work since then and going on time or just a couple of minutes after. So there hasn’t been a need.

ive managed to book an appointmentwith my GP about my mental health... but only appointment I could get was for July

x

• Heart
Reactions: 2