strange and peculiar workmates, past and present ...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I worked in a restaurant for my first job and worked alongside a girl my age who had a YouTube channel. (She never mentioned it to us at work, ever) She has over 100K subs but hasn’t posted anything for about 2 years. Her personality at work Vs what she was like on her YT videos were like 2 completely different people. She seemed fun and bubbly on YT but at work she was very stuck up and couldn’t get a conversation out of her.
she once rang in sick and said she couldn’t come into work because her electronic gates (lived with her parents) were broke and wouldn’t open so she had no way of getting to work. Serious oddball.

Reactions: 5
Pre Covid I swapped desks and worked on another girls desk for a few days and she left everything open on her PC. She was shopping on about 5 different adult sites and was searching things like BDSM. Each to their own I guess but I'd never do anything like that on my work PC

Reactions: 6
An old workplace of mine did checks on the whole company’s internet use and several people were sacked as a result. There were documents issued with what was considered reasonable use.

It was Xmas and a colleague wanted to know Marks and Spencer closing time as she had a few things to pick up. Helpfully I said I’d check. Unfortunately instead of typing M&S, I typed S&M. Due to my job I had a particularly large screen in an open plan office. I could not find the close button fast enough and stood in front of the screen to hide the images (quite tame really but still very inappropriate).

I had to then report myself to IT, who laughed.

Reactions: 11
Haha oh wow!

We are warned in our contract about the our internet use and using social media during work hours, some people have been reported for the social media use but I don't think anyone has ever checked our browsing history.

Last place I worked said up to one hour a day personal use was ok. They also said things like printing your concert tickets etc. was fine. I thought they were more than reasonable. Someone however, was caught using their iPad to watch Netflix 40 hours a week on the company’s Wi-fi...and sacked.

In the two years I worked there I probably had about 10 hours personal internet use...mostly researching a holiday and that was on my lunch break.

Reactions: 4
My husband did that when he was (very) young - I think it was his first temp job. It was at a plastic factory. He arrives, gets taught the ropes, says to his manager that he’s just popping out to get a paper and mars bar (!) and he never went back! Very juvenile but it still makes me chuckle with dismay as he’s one of the most hard working people I know. The running joke at home is if he says he’s going off to buy a mars bar, then I know he’s leaving me!

Reactions: 5
About 100 years ago, I used the company’s phone line to listen to the local radio station! - as a bored receptionist with headphones. (Times were hard, and sadly internet-free). Watching 40 hours of Netflix is amazing, that’s a full-time job! What was their actual job supposed to be?

Reactions: 2
Really enjoying reading these! When I was young I worked as a nanny. There was a nanny who was keen to befriend me and kept inviting me to her church. I never went! A while after I found out, she had lost her job as she had been secretly taking the children she cared for, to this church! No idea what sort of church it was but it didnt sound like a normal one!

Reactions: 4
I'm only reading this thread to make sure I'm not the subject of someone's story. Page 1, so far so good

Reactions: 10
I can’t believe that. I understand their is lacking funding in the police but to say that doesn’t amount to harassment. That could have ended horribly! I’m glad they’re visit made him leave you alone.

Reactions: 1
I worked with a lad a very long time ago who used to hide in the coat hanger box under the tills, he also used to hide on the shelves in the stock room

Reactions: 2
Years ago I used to be a housekeeper in a private hospital. We were short staffed one week and had to have agency staff in who were usually fantastic and enthusiastic people. Anyway, they sent someone new for the night shift to work with me. I was a young 20 something at the time and this person had to of been in his 40s. I quickly showed him around and explained what we had to do and what needs doing etc...
I got an awful vibe from him and just felt really uneasy around him.
I noticed he kept eyeing me up and looking at my tits a lot, so I started talking about my "boyfriend" to try and put him off but it was useless. He started telling me stories about his ex girlfriends and why they left him and his sex life with them. I told him, I felt uncomfortable with that sort of conversation and it's unprofessional to speak like that where patients could overhere.
I walked off and went into the store cupboard to get something and he followed me in. This cupboard was tiny and you could barely fit one person in let alone two!! His back was against the door so I couldn't get out, he was pretty much rubbing himself against me. I was telling him to stop it and to let me out, however he carried on.

After what felt like hours, he suddenly stopped and walked out. I ran off to the nurses station and told the sister what happend who got night security to remove him from the hospital.

A few weeks later, he was in the paper for raping someone!!

Reactions: 25
I worked in a shop where the manager was completely obsessed with her job and had to be forced to take her annual leave, upon which she’d come into work and get in the way but sitting in her tiny office (also our stock room ) as she “didn’t have anything else to do”. She was also filthy and smelly and looked like she lived in a bin.

Reactions: 11
I worked with someone who claimed to be vegan and lactose intolerant, cue lots of long breaks during the day trying to find a soy milk coffee shop (didn't stop them taking all my hot chocolate mix!)

Anyway, one morning I arrive and find a sausage sandwich on a chair. Since it was only the two of us that day, I assumed it was rubbish from the previous day and popped it in the bin. They asked later if I'd found a sandwich and explained that it was theirs. They fished it out of the bin and ate it.

Reactions: 10
Wow! Some people are bizarre!