Stitches

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi,

Has anyone had stitches under general anaesthetic … this is my arm injury and on Tuesday they’re putting me under and stitching it back up and potentially doing a tendon repair😫 I’ve never had an injury as bad as this before but can anyone tell me if it’s going to be painful after it? It’s bandaged up now and not painful really…. I’m dreading it 😭 what was aftercare / healing time like?

thank you x

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Ouch, that looks so painful 😢

Yes, there will be some pain but I cannot emphasise enough you will have to keep up with post-op exercises and stretches otherwise you will suffer in the future.

Wrist rotations, finger extensions, finger spread, prayer stretch, finger clenching etc.

You should be OK with over the counter pain relief (paracetamol or Ibuprofen).

The position of the wound may make you want to keep your wrist still but you have to push through that to avoid stiffness in the wrist joints.

When isxyour operation and how on earth did you manage to cut it like that?

Ouch, that looks so painful 😢

Yes, there will be some pain but I cannot emphasise enough you will have to keep up with post-op exercises and stretches otherwise you will suffer in the future.

Wrist rotations, finger extensions, finger spread, prayer stretch, finger clenching etc.

You should be OK with over the counter pain relief (paracetamol or Ibuprofen).

The position of the wound may make you want to keep your wrist still but you have to push through that to avoid stiffness in the wrist joints.

When isxyour operation and how on earth did you manage to cut it like that?
thank you for replying ♥

I will do, thank you! My fingers and wrist are ok, I’m just dreading surgery 😂 it’s on Tuesday morning, they aren’t sure if they are putting me under or not yet. They will decide on the day.

I have a porch door and I closed it too hard on the glass part and the glass smashed 😫

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Hi, how did the operation go? Hope the pain isn't too bad. I was meaning to reply to this thread as I had a tendon repair to my wrist a few years back. I was in a splint for quite a long time and not allowed to bend my wrist at all.

• Sad
Thank you for asking..

I’m in agony. They’ve repairand stitched the wound up.. no issues!

I’ve got a half cast on as in a slab under my forearm and I’m struggling. I’m feeling sorry for myself and paracetomal only just takes the pain away. I’ve got my 3 year old all week apart from Friday night and Saturday morning. It’s hard work already! Nursery was full up so couldn’t get her in at all :(

I’ve got hand therapy at some point between now and Tuesday so they’ll change this cast to one that’s Velcro if you know the sort.

As for work - well.. I use a pc for my job and I can’t even use a mouse so I’m off sick for the foreseeable. Thankfully I’m only part time so I’m not back in till Friday - I’m going to ring my GP on Friday and get a 2 week sick note and hopefully week 3 I can go back on half a day or something. I can’t risk rupturing the tendons again if I over do it.. but I’m going to be bored shitless at home! 😩

Attachments

That looks a nasty cut and must have been a horrible shock. I am glad that the operation is behind you and you are on the mend.
My son had a very nasty cut on his wrist, which narrowly missed an artery, and at A&E they just cleaned it and told him to go back to the plastic surgery department the next day. He had to wait a week before his micro surgery, which was to repair the tendon. As a young lad he hadn't realised how lucky he was to have swerved a much worse injury and all he was concerned about was getting back to playing golf.
The hospital staff drummed into him the importance of doing exercises to regain full mobility. He was religious in going to physiotherapy and moving his wrist and fingers as prescribed.
Now his wrist is fully healed and as good as new.
I would reiterate what the poster before said, advocating stretching and exercises. They are paramount to your recovery but you are right not to risk further injury by overdosing it.
Good luck and I hope you are not too bored.