Stand Out Interview Questions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm going for an interview this week for a job I really, really want and need (made redundant after 12 years a week or so ago) but am struggling in coming up with some compelling questions to ask that don't sound rehearsed, contrived or like I'm the biggest teachers pet under the sun!

For context, the role is as Executive Assistant to an MD. I've over 20 years experience in working in this field but I think the one thing that's holding me back and getting me nervous is my age (56).

Any advice out there?

I know this could feel trickier since you really want the job but remember this is a two way street and the interview is also an opportunity for them to convince you to work there. I always ask questions to work out whether it’s a workplace that’s going to suit me. My go to’s are :
“how would you describe the work culture?”
“Are there any opportunities for skill development?”

And I usually have follow up questions for those depending on the answers. But that’s because I want to be in a place where there’s a good atmosphere, not overworked/ staying late every night or working weekends, that management listen to concerns, somewhere I can dress casual and learn new things when I want to.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
A good question to ask is “what potential is there for professional growth “ It shows that you are keen to keep up with the latest technology and processes of the company. Good luck with your interview x

Reactions: 2
I'm going for an interview this week for a job I really, really want and need (made redundant after 12 years a week or so ago) but am struggling in coming up with some compelling questions to ask that don't sound rehearsed, contrived or like I'm the biggest teachers pet under the sun!

For context, the role is as Executive Assistant to an MD. I've over 20 years experience in working in this field but I think the one thing that's holding me back and getting me nervous is my age (56).

Any advice out there?
I always ask “what’s your favourite thing about working in the team/in the company/in your role”?
it gets them to think and shows you’re interested in them and what they do. I also like it when candidates ask me that when I recruit.
good luck!!! You got this!

Reactions: 4
The wealth of experience you have will be valuable to any company.

You have an interview, you are half way there.

Good luck!

Someone once told me to ask this at the end of any interviews; "Is there anything giving you doubts about my suitability for the role, if so, what are those doubts?"
It gives you a chance to be told any such doubts while you're still there and able to defend yourself as such and reassure the interviewers why they needn't have such doubts. I've been told a couple times now by interviewers what a great question it is.
But my biggest bit of advice is to just be yourself, let them see your personality so they can see how you'd fit in with the existing team, not just learn if your skills are a match. Good luck, and remember what's meant to be will be.

Any advice out there?
If you're going to be working for just the one person, then I think you should really be asking questions to help you learn more about their style and approach. So things like 'what do you consider would make someone a success in this role?' or 'what's your management style?'. I'd also be trying to scope out what their working life looks like, if for example they travel a lot, they may need someone who can be more flexible around hours when they're away than if they work solely on UK time etc.

There's already some good advice on here.
My suggestion is to look on the company's website and pick on something about the company and what is doing that interests you - a new development, for example. Then say: "I see from your website that.....I'd be interested to hear more about that."
It shows that you have done your research and are interested in what the company is doing.

Any advice out there?
Is there anything in the job advert you don’t think was covered that you’d like to know? What do you wish you could ask at your previous jobs (sfw) if you had the opportunity again?

Interviewers expect all the “what would you say good is at 3, 6, 12 months in the role?” and it’s fine but I think it can be a wasted question for the interviewee.

I interviewed someone recently who didn’t do well (hadn’t looked at the website or done any industry research) and all they asked was when they could start. It wasn’t an entry role and a good Q could’ve helped.

Reactions: 1
Just thought I'd update you all - OFFER INCOMING!!!!

I was really nervous but admitted as much before we kicked off the process and to help with the "mind going blank moments", I'd prepped the key questions I wanted to raise and at the start asked if they minded if I referred to my notes.

Thank you all for your advice and good wishes above xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just thought I'd update you all - OFFER INCOMING!!!!

I was really nervous but admitted as much before we kicked off the process and to help with the "mind going blank moments", I'd prepped the key questions I wanted to raise and at the start asked if they minded if I referred to my notes.

Thank you all for your advice and good wishes above xxx
Congratulations!

Reactions: 1