Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Greys1324

Chatty Member
Hi All, I’ve just found this thread (I’ve been deep in searches for money saving tips this week) it’s payday today 🥳 and I’ve managed to save 90% this month.

However, I’m now starting to feel anxious/apprehensive about life after lockdown and staying on track with saving. For context I spent waaaaay too much than I saved last year. Although I achieved small wins realising now how much I squandered makes me feel sick.

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep going next month?
Set a budget for days/nights out and only take that amount of money with you so you can’t be tempted to overspend after a few drinks. You could also try and make some extra money that could be fun money for you? Surveys apps, selling old clothes/house stuff on eBay/FB marketplace.

Reactions: 1

EllaEllaElla

Oh I posted this on another thread yesterday so I'll post it here too in case it's helpful for anyone. x

Not really side hustles and none of these are gonna make one a millionaire overnight but the pennies all add up over time and can help a little in keeping costs elsewhere down and that.

A) Survey sites - sign up then survey links are emailed, paid once approved. Can pay well and soon mounts up.
Populus Live (you're sent a cheque/BAC once you hit £50).
Prolific
Panelbase
Opinion Outpost

B) Cashback sites - cashback on online shopping, services, etc.
Topcashback
Quidco

C) Cashback sites/apps (1) - buy specific products, upload receipt then refunded all/percentage of price. 🥗 Free food!! 🍞🥙
Shopmium
Checkoutsmart
Clicksnap (can't use same receipt on both Checkoutsmart & Clicksnap - part of same company).
GreenJinn

D) Cashback apps (2) - scan receipts generally. Earns pennies.
Shoppix
Receipt Hog
Huyu
Snapmyeats
Storerewards

That's all I can think of for now. 💗

ETA: There are also sites where you can read magazines and newspapers for free instead of spending like a fiver on a glossy. I'll update if I find links. x

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
Work out your costs, eg shopping, bills, contingency etc then whatever you have leftover set up a standing order to put that amount in a savings acct each month, this has to be done the day you get paid or you will spend it. If you don't have any spare at the moment, look at ways to save, eg, look for cheaper utilities providers, setting a weekly meal plan and give yourself a shopping budget, don't go shopping hungry, look at cashback offers for necessary spending.

Flowergirl14

VIP Member
My mortgage and other Direct Debits go out of my account on the 1st of the month. After I have budgeted enough for food, etc., the rest goes into my savings account. Although sometimes I have to raid it, due to my Amazon habit!

LaurieLaurie

VIP Member
We have Sim only deals with Tesco and paid for the iPhone handset from John Lewis. £20 for two sim deals, we each have 8gb, 5000 texts and 5000 calls.

Yes, it’s definitely that feeling of we’re going to be set free let’s go out, let’s eat etc and make up for lost time. I’m really training myself out of impulse shopping or purchases but when I get down/sad it’s soooooo easy. I’ve deleted Apple Pay, shopping apps etc too now. I have locked everything away on monzo in pots and cut up my card (extreme behaviour but I needed it).

So tryna just focus on ptting as much as possible away, trying to now shop my wardrobe and only eat what’s at home - cupboards freezer etc. It’s so hard to keep at times to keep going but in the long run I know it’ll be worth it. I wanted to treat myself to a takeaway this evening but have managed to talk myself out it (for now 😂). I think I’ll feel guilty if I do order it (I’ll treat my whole family too).

Set a budget for days/nights out and only take that amount of money with you so you can’t be tempted to overspend after a few drinks. You could also try and make some extra money that could be fun money for you? Surveys apps, selling old clothes/house stuff on eBay/FB marketplace.
Great idea! I also think I need to not feel guilty 😆

Lalisa_mb

Cash back websites! Literally best thing I’ve used
No matter how big or small the purchase if I can get money off of it I will! I have £45 just from a few months of cash back & you don’t have to wait anytime to cash out (straight to your bank card), I haven’t cashed out cause I get happy and motivated when I see it grow :D

Lalisa_mb

Second this! I have this set up on my bank and I’ve saved up a few hundreds pounds just from rounding up my spending 😊
We have Sim only deals with Tesco and paid for the iPhone handset from John Lewis. £20 for two sim deals, we each have 8gb, 5000 texts and 5000 calls.
Ooh to add on this - I use VOXI
I pay £10 for 12gb, though unlimited social media use and unlimited calls and texts. Amazing deal