Spend less 2021 and money saving tips

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pay yourself first! If you want to save £200 pay that into your savings right away. When I used to just save whatever was left at the end of the month I wouldn't save as much. So I make sure on pay day I put the money straight away and I make do with the rest.
Also sim only instead of getting a new phone has saved me £45 a month!

Reactions: 4
Write a shopping list and stick to it, my biggest flaw is trying to do a food shop from memory. But the last six months I’ve stuck to a list and it makes a big difference in my budgeting. I live abroad and my supermarket has an app where you can scan the barcode of your product and it adds it to your list and gives you a running total. I don’t know if this is a thing in the U.K. (it wasn’t when I lived there) but having a list I find to be really helpful and not a huge lifestyle change.

I
Pay yourself first! If you want to save £200 pay that into your savings right away. When I used to just save whatever was left at the end of the month I wouldn't save as much. So I make sure on pay day I put the money straight away and I make do with the rest.
Also sim only instead of getting a new phone has saved me £45 a month!
I do this! I put my ‘minimum’ saving amount straight into savings, and then i put another buffer into a separate account. This then at the end of the month goes into my proper savings, but gives me easier to access money should I need it eg for unplanned vet/car bills, but it’s harder to just spend on stuff

Reactions: 5
- Put money into savings at start of the month not at the end
- Set up a reminder on your phone for the night before pay day and transfer any left over money (even if it’s only a few £) to your savings
- Downgrade your supermarket shopping i.e. if you buy brand go to store own brand, if you already do this then try and swap to a cheaper supermarket e.g. go from Waitrose to Tesco and then to Aldi/Lidl
- Share any streaming services with a relative. I share Netflix, Amazon Prime and Discovery + accounts with my sister. We split the monthly charge and can stream on our own individual devices

Reactions: 3
Echo all of the above about shopping lists and conscious spending.

The thing that helped me most was using a tracker app (I used Dollarbird) to input where every penny was going and assign it a category (essential food shopping, junk food, health, beauty, clothes etc). It is a little admin heavy... I know Monzo etc do this automatically but for example if I’d been to the supermarket and bought my food shop and cleaning products, I would split them out into different categories.

It definitely stopped me making as many frivolous purchases because I’d need to document them and hold myself accountable. I am also quite stat-driven so being able to see the change in my spending habits acted as a reward for me.

Great ideas here.

Turn the thermostat down, check what time the heating comes on each day - can you start it 15 minutes later?

Go three months without buying and new clothes or make up. Then ask yourself whether you really need to buy.

Go an extra week or two between visiting the hairdresser.

Do your own nails.

Check out saver cards. We buy £400 at a time that only costs £360. Can be used at M&S, Sainsbury's, Asda, B&Q and many more.

If you get money off vouchers, remember to use them, especially 2 for 1.

If shopping on line check out offers first.

Check out different insurance companies. It's often cheaper to put everything with the same company.

Check out different gas and electric suppliers.

There are also companies that search on your behalf and put all insurances, heating, phone and internet in one package. Don't think I'm allowed to post a link.

Reactions: 5
I give myself a weekly budget (bills aside) of £50. Anything left I transfer to savings. I sometimes spend this silly on Amazon which I’m going to stop. I’ve deleted all shopping apps on my phone & I’m going to delete Apple Pay as it stores my cards which makes online purchases from my phone/MacBook literally a click away.

Not going into Primark/Home Bargains etc & spending £10 £20 on myself. Lockdowns etc have helped with this but the temptation is there when I’ve been in town! I’m just going to buy when I NEED something e.g I run out of deodorant/shampoo, my socks have holes in them. I’m not going to buy any clothes this year, this will save me £££.

I also have a save the change with my bank. It does add up! I’m also an avid Ebay seller and made £50 just before Christmas. I think I might have a wardrobe sort out this weekend and get selling again!

Loved reading all your tips - I’m saving for a house deposit & a car so I need to stop spending silly!

ETA: I’m going to cancel my gym membership, I’ve just seen it’s £20 a month when I workout at home with my weights & bike!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I'm an excel geek and have a finances spreadsheet. At the start of each month I allocate what I think I'll spend on things to make sure I have enough money to last the month. I then change it to 'actual' when I know what I spent. Seeing exactly where money is going really helped me to cut back on some areas. Similar to others I transfer an allocated amount to save each month and then the day before payday I then transfer whatever is left to a savings account.

I find having a supermarket delivery helps too as in store I add bits and end up spending more

Second this! I have this set up on my bank and I’ve saved up a few hundreds pounds just from rounding up my spending 😊
We have Sim only deals with Tesco and paid for the iPhone handset from John Lewis. £20 for two sim deals, we each have 8gb, 5000 texts and 5000 calls.
Ooh to add on this - I use VOXI
I pay £10 for 12gb, though unlimited social media use and unlimited calls and texts. Amazing deal

Not particularly a 'savings' tip per se. But sites like "Quidco" can earn you money, when you need to spend it. Its particularly good for certain purchases, things like buying insurance or broadband packages, you can serious money back.

For smaller purchases it all adds up and all it means is you have to click into your chosen site for shopping through quid co.

Cash back websites! Literally best thing I’ve used
No matter how big or small the purchase if I can get money off of it I will! I have £45 just from a few months of cash back & you don’t have to wait anytime to cash out (straight to your bank card), I haven’t cashed out cause I get happy and motivated when I see it grow :D

This is something I’m trying to do this year.
So far I’ve started saving £2 in one of those non openable tins from the pound shop.
I put all my loose change (1,2,5,10,20) in an old demijohn.
I’ve signed up for save the change with the bank.
I’ve had a mass post-Christmas clear out and started listing things on eBay.
I’ve gone back to shopping at Aldi instead of Asda and also writing a shopping list and sticking to it as much as possible, instead of just browsing the aisles and picking up anything that takes my fancy!
We’ve knocked our “fancy” takeaway coffees on the head and bought thermos cups to take our own drinks out with us
I’m attempting to try and go the entire year without buying any new clothes or shoes 🤞

Ditch the takeaways and junk food and set a healthy eating plan. Better for your health and better for your finances.

Start by going online and researching some good healthy recipes that you can make, then make a meal plan and write your shopping list based on that plan and stick to that list when you go the shops.

the other important thing I do is give myself a budget. When I get paid, I take away my outgoings and then I put half of what is left into my savings. The other half is divided by five to give me a weekly budget. If I don’t spend all of the weekly budget, the leftover also goes into savings.

Reactions: 2
I’ve found not going to home bargains and b&m has helped me a lot. Yes, products might be a bit cheaper than the supermarket but you end up buying so many more than the basics that you spend a lot more than you would have done if you’d have just got it all in your supermarket shop. I’ve started getting the majority of our food shop from Aldi. I know we should buy local but we simply can’t afford it.

Reactions: 2
I'm definitely not the best person at saving, but I have been making a conscious effort lately. Here's a few things I now do.

- Have a weekly standing order going into my savings account (I guess it's relative to what you earn but mine is currently £65 per week).
- Set up "save the change" or whatever your bank offers on your account. It rounds up your spending and saves the spare change - I am surprised at just how much that helps!
- Start a spreadsheet which shows your outgoings (debts, bills, expenses etc). Once you know what you have left over each month you'll have a much better idea of how much is realistic. On a different tab on the same spreadsheet I also have a graph showing my debt, and how much is paid off (or it is increased by) each month. Seeing monthly movements really helps to motivate me to continue paying it off. I also have a graph showing my savings and again, seeing it in a graph going up and up really motivates me.
- Buy one of those savings pots which you have to smash to get into (can get them cheap off Amazon). I put all my spare change into it. (I tend to leave a £5 buffer of spare change in my purse) but anything taking me over my £5 buffer gets put into the pot. It really does add up!
- I restrict myself to one extra treat a week - tends to be a Saturday night takeaway. No midweek takeaways or trips to Greggs on my lunch break etc.

Work out your costs, eg shopping, bills, contingency etc then whatever you have leftover set up a standing order to put that amount in a savings acct each month, this has to be done the day you get paid or you will spend it. If you don't have any spare at the moment, look at ways to save, eg, look for cheaper utilities providers, setting a weekly meal plan and give yourself a shopping budget, don't go shopping hungry, look at cashback offers for necessary spending.

Reactions: 1
My mortgage and other Direct Debits go out of my account on the 1st of the month. After I have budgeted enough for food, etc., the rest goes into my savings account. Although sometimes I have to raid it, due to my Amazon habit!

-Like others have said do the savings at the beginning and anything left over at the end.

-If you have a credit card, designated a thing that you're going to use it for and that is all. For example, I use mine for petrol/transport every month and for any big day out. So if I'm going to a concert I'll use the money for the trip (e.g the petrol to get there and the meal out) and that is all. Also set yourself a max limit. I don't go over £150 even though the limit is above that. Really easy to fall into the trap of 'ah I'll stick it on my card'.

-If you can (I know some can't) do your grocery shopping online and have it delivered. I find that when I go to supermarket I see stuff and just throw it in the trolley. If I do it online I only order what I need and I can check the cupboards while I'm doing it if I need to.

- Try to extend the time in between shopping by doing 2 big shops a month instead of weekly. I will say this may not work for bigger families but as I live alone I find that it works much better. It means I actually buy what I need instead of just stocking up and I find I actually use everything up instead of wasting things as it's still x amount of days until my shopping.

- check your bank account every day. Helps you spot those random outgoings that you may not know of, and gives you a chance to save the pennies.

- Don't deny yourself things if you really want it or at the very least, replace it with something else. I find that if I go to hard and say okay I'm not buying any drinks I'm just going to drink water, I end up running to a shop half way through my week to buy something which is normally fizzy drinks costing a fortune. I buy fruit juice or squash now and the supermarket value ones are cheap but still nice.

- crazy vegan here but try and reduce the amount of meat you eat. Meat is so expensive and it tends to only make 1 meal whereas lentils which cost £1.65 can last for months! I once bought a big bag of lentils for £4.50 in Asda and they legitimately lasted me a year. Think about what you can do to your meals to bulk them up. Chickpeas, lentils, frozen veg, different varieties of beans, sweetcorn, etc all bulk up meals for significantly less than what meat would cost.

- reduce the amount of washing powder/liquid you use by around a quarter or half. You don't actually need to fill it to the line. Your clothes will be as clean as they will be with the full amount unless they are absolutely stinking which they usually aren't, but you'll stretch the amount of time you need to buy more. Also wash them on a lower temperature with a reduced spin.
If you really want save money invest in a wash ball which is like £15 but you can wash for months with it. I don't have one but my mum does and she reckons it's fine.

- try buying clothes etc when you need them from eBay or places like that instead of in store. I find that you can buy branded things, especially hoodies and stuff like that which will be much cheaper but also probably end up lasting you longer as the quality is better.

- leave reviews and complain, especially if you don't like something. I never think to send stuff back if I don't like cause I just think oh well that's life, but I've often left reviews when prompted via email and the company have commented on the reviews saying "phone this number to arrange to post it back to us and we'll give you a refund".

I'll be back with more but that's all I can think of right now :ROFLMAO:

-

• Heart
Oh I posted this on another thread yesterday so I'll post it here too in case it's helpful for anyone. x

Not really side hustles and none of these are gonna make one a millionaire overnight but the pennies all add up over time and can help a little in keeping costs elsewhere down and that.

A) Survey sites - sign up then survey links are emailed, paid once approved. Can pay well and soon mounts up.
Populus Live (you're sent a cheque/BAC once you hit £50).
Prolific
Panelbase
Opinion Outpost

B) Cashback sites - cashback on online shopping, services, etc.
Topcashback
Quidco

C) Cashback sites/apps (1) - buy specific products, upload receipt then refunded all/percentage of price. 🥗 Free food!! 🍞🥙
Shopmium
Checkoutsmart
Clicksnap (can't use same receipt on both Checkoutsmart & Clicksnap - part of same company).
GreenJinn

D) Cashback apps (2) - scan receipts generally. Earns pennies.
Shoppix
Receipt Hog
Huyu
Snapmyeats
Storerewards

That's all I can think of for now. 💗

ETA: There are also sites where you can read magazines and newspapers for free instead of spending like a fiver on a glossy. I'll update if I find links. x