Social Currency Talk

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How do you all deal with different social currencies between adult siblings? After having worked fairly low-paid jobs until the last two years or so/ been single until I was in my mid-twenties, I am more surprised than anyone that I have a good job that I enjoy mostly/ am married/ co-own a house with my husband.

I am the second eldest of five children - all between mid twenties to mid thirties and I am the only one completely financially independent from my parents. Two of my siblings live with my parents (in London) and my parents also supplement my other siblings' rent in less expensive UK cities.

Now, not all my siblings want a partner/ a house/ children/ to work for a big organization like I do! I know that and I don't expect them to make the same life choices I have. But for some reason, over the last few years, they've all at some point said I make them feel like I do expect that, and when I stress I don't for one second think that and then ask for examples so I don't do it again, they can't think of any, so I just apologize and then the same thing happens a few months later coming, from my perspective, out of nowhere.

I don't think I'm better than them for any of my achievements - so much of my achievements have been based on some hard work, and the right choices at the right time, yes, but mainly a lot of luck. But they seem to think I do think that and I don't know how to change that. I do live in the US which I think puts more pressure on our relationships when I visit, which I try to do at least twice a year, so maybe that's part of it, but it's frustrating that it's changed our relationships so much.

Reactions: 1
How do you all deal with different social currencies between adult siblings? After having worked fairly low-paid jobs until the last two years or so/ been single until I was in my mid-twenties, I am more surprised than anyone that I have a good job that I enjoy mostly/ am married/ co-own a house with my husband.

I am the second eldest of five children - all between mid twenties to mid thirties and I am the only one completely financially independent from my parents. Two of my siblings live with my parents (in London) and my parents also supplement my other siblings' rent in less expensive UK cities.

Now, not all my siblings want a partner/ a house/ children/ to work for a big organization like I do! I know that and I don't expect them to make the same life choices I have. But for some reason, over the last few years, they've all at some point said I make them feel like I do expect that, and when I stress I don't for one second think that and then ask for examples so I don't do it again, they can't think of any, so I just apologize and then the same thing happens a few months later coming, from my perspective, out of nowhere.

I don't think I'm better than them for any of my achievements - so much of my achievements have been based on some hard work, and the right choices at the right time, yes, but mainly a lot of luck. But they seem to think I do think that and I don't know how to change that. I do live in the US which I think puts more pressure on our relationships when I visit, which I try to do at least twice a year, so maybe that's part of it, but it's frustrating that it's changed our relationships so much.
It’s most probably perceived pressure rather than you actually expecting more. People tend to project when they feel insecure/jealous etc

Reactions: 2
It’s most probably perceived pressure rather than you actually expecting more. People tend to project when they feel insecure/jealous etc
Yeah it definitely sounds like their issue, not yours - especially given they can't even give you a single example. What do your parents think?

Reactions: 1
Yeah, I bet they do feel social pressure also in their own peer group, but you, as family and likely a save ground, will hear all about it

Reactions: 2
I know it sounds strange/ foolish of me but I genuinely didn't think it was insecurity/ jealousy at all!

Yeah it definitely sounds like their issue, not yours - especially given they can't even give you a single example. What do your parents think?
No idea, to be honest. My parents have said it's sad that I'm not as close to my brothers and sisters anymore but otherwise not got involved.

Yeah, I bet they do feel social pressure also in their own peer group, but you, as family and likely a save ground, will hear all about it
I think this is true and cuts in various ways - a lot of our mutual friends/ friends we grew up with are either artists of one kind and another or lawyers/ teachers/ doctors and although this is a very sweeping generalization I think for some of our friends, getting married and having kids actually reduces your social currency/ makes you seem less "woke" and boring. Whereas for others, they expect everyone to want a big wedding/ a house/ husband etc. I guess I feel like, for some of my siblings, they think I'm boring because I got married!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3