sleep paralysis

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to get it often as a kid. My mum is big into ghosts and always had us thinking it was haunted houses. The feeling of someone cuddling me, laughing as they 'shh'd in my ear as I tried to scream šŸ˜± she would always call it a 'trance' and it was just a ghost šŸ˜‚ I figured out eventually what it was, and realised shes just had it for years.

It was weird, id feel a tingle in my back and the paralysis feeling slowly take over from my feet to my head. Blergh. Horrible.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I used to get this fairly frequently when I lived at my mums, but not seeing figures. It was more I would be awake but couldnt move or open my eyes properly. It would also feel like j couldnt breathe. I would relax and stop trying to move and then try again. Usually after about 3 times of doing that I would be able to move again! Just awful

This has only happened to me once in my life years and years ago. I woke up and couldnā€™t move or make a sound. It was absolutely terrifying and probably only lasted about 5 seconds but felt like hours with the amount of thoughts that races through my head.
At the time I remember hoping somebody will come look for me (I lived alone).
Anyway I googled it and itā€™s to do with waking up but your brain not quite caught up.
Perfectly ā€œnormalā€

I used to get it fairly often along with false awakenings and lucid dreams. Usually if I'd been doing something quite mentally stimulating before I went to sleep like suduko or something šŸ¤£ not had it in a long time and I'm so glad I never have hallucinations but its a right pain when yoire lying there just wanting to get up but you can't move šŸ¤£

Can I ask. Most of you are/having/had this sleep paralysis.

Are any of you like sort of psychic?
Sense something around you? Or sense something has happened going to happen?
Like spiritual things.
Get spiritual magazines.
Watch haunted shows? Then had the bad dream?
Seen death or had someone close to you die?

See. I sense a spirit around me all the time. A good one. A family member.

I have things where I am sort of psychic that I have freaked people out.

I have lost a lot of people around me.
I also in one year had encounters with black cats even for birthday christmas cards a black cat was on it. Nothing bad happened that year.

But it got me thinking if any of you are like what I asked if that's why we have sleep paralysis cause our mind or spirit is gone to like an astral plane. Where everything is the same but our other else is awake seeing or experiencing this stuff and our body trying to wake up on earth to make us aware something is happening or going to happen.

I know it might not make sense but sometimes this is what I feel.

Like I said I was in the back bedroom of my partners house has I had problems sleeping in our bed that night so sleep and he was trying to wake me up. But he had my Grandads shirt on over his pjs. I could feel him physically holding me to wake me up put of cause no one was their when did wake up the day just felt off.
Another time at my mums house I was held and woke up with a bruise where I was held in this sleep paralysis.

But I watched an haunted show. During the day. I stopped watching them before bed now. That someone could be alerting us to wake up cause something's going to happen.

I don't know I just feel that some things could be connected.

Reactions: 2
Had two bouts of this last week. My husband has started leaving for work at 6.15 and I wake up and fall asleep again on my back. The paralysis is an awful feeling but what I find disconcerting is your body trying to pull you back into that deep sleep and your mind is trying to fight it. Awful awful awful.

Can I ask. Most of you are/having/had this sleep paralysis.

Are any of you like sort of psychic?
Sense something around you? Or sense something has happened going to happen?
Like spiritual things.
Get spiritual magazines.
Watch haunted shows? Then had the bad dream?
Seen death or had someone close to you die?

See. I sense a spirit around me all the time. A good one. A family member.

I have things where I am sort of psychic that I have freaked people out.

I have lost a lot of people around me.
I also in one year had encounters with black cats even for birthday christmas cards a black cat was on it. Nothing bad happened that year.

But it got me thinking if any of you are like what I asked if that's why we have sleep paralysis cause our mind or spirit is gone to like an astral plane. Where everything is the same but our other else is awake seeing or experiencing this stuff and our body trying to wake up on earth to make us aware something is happening or going to happen.

I know it might not make sense but sometimes this is what I feel.

Like I said I was in the back bedroom of my partners house has I had problems sleeping in our bed that night so sleep and he was trying to wake me up. But he had my Grandads shirt on over his pjs. I could feel him physically holding me to wake me up put of cause no one was their when did wake up the day just felt off.
Another time at my mums house I was held and woke up with a bruise where I was held in this sleep paralysis.

But I watched an haunted show. During the day. I stopped watching them before bed now. That someone could be alerting us to wake up cause something's going to happen.

I don't know I just feel that some things could be connected.
I definitely feel like I have very strong intuitions. I feel I could have the ability to unlock something within me but part of me is a bit too scared.

Reactions: 1
I've always had hallucinations kind of thing, along with sleep paralysis.
But with the hallucinations, I'm awake, I can see everything.. But I see bugs, and snakes and other things in my room with me.
Several times I've been able to hear someone else in the room or the next room as me and I've got dressed because I think we've got company. But I've been fully awake and can hear everything.

I've had it a few times but nobody I know or who I've ever spoken to has experienced it.

I used to get it all the time when I still lived with my mam & dad (I moved out 5 years ago) where a woman as dragging me off my bed and sat on top of me and I couldn't move.

I got it once in my first rented house when I was napping on the settee, my ex was at work so I was home alone and it sounded like someone was trying to break in. When I came around it was badly raining & very windy

In my second rented house, I never experienced it until my ex and I split up and he moved out. It was the woman coming back from my parents to sit on top of me

I am now in a flat I rent and have had it a couple times. Again, I could hear someone trying to break in but I was paralyzed and shouting for help but it was more of a whisper, when I eventually snapped out of it I shouted louder and could hear my voice echoing.

I got it last week, the cat was laying on the end of my bed when I fell asleep. I woke up to a cat? On top of me and another cat at my toes dropping something on it, I snapped out of it but the cat was sound asleep and nowhere near me lol

I only seem to get it when I am not sharing a bed with someone? Does anyone else find this?

I've had it a few times but nobody I know or who I've ever spoken to has experienced it.

I used to get it all the time when I still lived with my mam & dad (I moved out 5 years ago) where a woman as dragging me off my bed and sat on top of me and I couldn't move.

I got it once in my first rented house when I was napping on the settee, my ex was at work so I was home alone and it sounded like someone was trying to break in. When I came around it was badly raining & very windy

In my second rented house, I never experienced it until my ex and I split up and he moved out. It was the woman coming back from my parents to sit on top of me

I am now in a flat I rent and have had it a couple times. Again, I could hear someone trying to break in but I was paralyzed and shouting for help but it was more of a whisper, when I eventually snapped out of it I shouted louder and could hear my voice echoing.

I got it last week, the cat was laying on the end of my bed when I fell asleep. I woke up to a cat? On top of me and another cat at my toes dropping something on it, I snapped out of it but the cat was sound asleep and nowhere near me lol

I only seem to get it when I am not sharing a bed with someone? Does anyone else find this?
Yes. I found this. I got it a lot, similar to you where someone was trying to break in.
As soon as I fell back to sleep after my partner had gone to work.

Now I don't get it as much because I'm always asleep at the same time as my partner.

I remember as a teenager trying to do something and being able to see things and my friends, sleeping over at the time, one said to the other, "oh don't worry, she does it all the time"
And its only when someone says that that I can tell myself I'm imagining it and can go back to sleep.

Iā€™ve had paralysis and woken up to a feeling of someone sucking my toes.

Itā€™s curious so many people have visions of the old hag. There seems to be no logical explanation behind it either.

Iā€™ve had paralysis and woken up to a feeling of someone sucking my toes.

Itā€™s curious so many people have visions of the old hag. There seems to be no logical explanation behind it either.
It's crazy. I totally freaked myself when I googled it and the image was exactly what I saw

Sleep paralysis is horrible. Mine nearly always starts with the sound of someone breaking in, then a feeling that someone is coming into the room to harm me. I'll often see the person as a dark shadow, or fuzzy body shape coming toward me
Other times it feels like something is swooping toward me and swirling round.

Because what happens is now so familiar, I've learnt to breathe through it and try and wake myself up by wiggling my fingers or toes. It still leaves me feeling on edge once I'm awake though.

Iā€™ve had this loads of times and I only get it when Iā€™m in bed alone usually after my husbands gone to work or heā€™s away for the night. Usually not long before I have to get up myself.
itā€™s the same thing every time. Iā€™m in my bed and I can see my room but I can hear someone walking up the stairs and in to my bedroom and Iā€™m being pinned down and canā€™t move!! Itā€™s happened so many time I now say to my self in my dream/sleep whatever it is ā€œwake up, wake upā€ and then I suddenly jolt and itā€™s all over.
scary feeling. Makes your heart race. Not a fun way to start the day.

I get sleep paralysis quite often, I've only ever had an auditory hallucination once and felt like someone was touching me once, mostly I just can't move and everything is dark. I thought I was dying the first time it happened! My triggers are stress and sleeping on my back, so I try to avoid stress (impossible) and never sleep on my back anymore :)

If you're aware you're having an episode, try to count in your head, I heard you can't count in your sleep so it helps wake you up. Or try and wiggle toes and fingers to slowly wake the body up. Those two things help me

I've commented on this thread before and have suffered from sleep paralysis (usually just someone standing over me sleep!) and can snap myself out of it now.

However recently Iā€™ve been waking up in the middle of the night thinking Iā€™m at work and I donā€™t let myself fall asleep, because I think Iā€™ll get in trouble. These 'dreams' are so intense that I can visualise my colleagues and kids (I'm a teacher) in the classroom watching me struggle to stay awake. The weird thing is, I see my surroundings. I know I am in my bedroom and it's safe to sleep and can actually tell myself this too. Once I actually jumped out of bed thinking I was in school even though I could see I was in my room! I really cant explain it but its gotten to the point this is happening multiple times a week.

I think it could be stress but its never happened before and I think I'm actually doing okay with my current workload!

Does anyone know what this is or faced anything similar? Thanks.

I've commented on this thread before and have suffered from sleep paralysis (usually just someone standing over me sleep!) and can snap myself out of it now.

However recently Iā€™ve been waking up in the middle of the night thinking Iā€™m at work and I donā€™t let myself fall asleep, because I think Iā€™ll get in trouble. These 'dreams' are so intense that I can visualise my colleagues and kids (I'm a teacher) in the classroom watching me struggle to stay awake. The weird thing is, I see my surroundings. I know I am in my bedroom and it's safe to sleep and can actually tell myself this too. Once I actually jumped out of bed thinking I was in school even though I could see I was in my room! I really cant explain it but its gotten to the point this is happening multiple times a week.

I think it could be stress but its never happened before and I think I'm actually doing okay with my current workload!

Does anyone know what this is or faced anything similar? Thanks.
I can snap myself out of it now as i know the signs and feeling as itā€™s happened so often. The scenario is always my bedroom and itā€™s crisp and clear like Iā€™m awake.
Maybe where your work is your anxiety which is why you can see it?

I can snap myself out of it now as i know the signs and feeling as itā€™s happened so often. The scenario is always my bedroom and itā€™s crisp and clear like Iā€™m awake.
Maybe where your work is your anxiety which is why you can see it?
I think for me, I'm actually awake like my eyes are open but I still think I'm at work and having that dream play out even though with my eyes I'm seeing my bedroom/surroundings! It sounds well creepy when I put it like that.

I think it could be work stress/anxiety which is odd as personally I feel fine but need to get rid of it bc I'm losing too much sleep on this!

I think for me, I'm actually awake like my eyes are open but I still think I'm at work and having that dream play out even though with my eyes I'm seeing my bedroom/surroundings! It sounds well creepy when I put it like that.

I think it could be work stress/anxiety which is odd as personally I feel fine but need to get rid of it bc I'm losing too much sleep on this!
My eyes open partially sometimes too. Other times I'm desperately trying to open my eyes or shout out but I can't. That's probably the worse bit - fighting to save myself from the 'intruder' but not being able to.

I hope things improve for you soon. I know what it's like to lose sleep and then become stressed about the actual going to sleep bit.

My eyes open partially sometimes too. Other times I'm desperately trying to open my eyes or shout out but I can't. That's probably the worse bit - fighting to save myself from the 'intruder' but not being able to.

I hope things improve for you soon. I know what it's like to lose sleep and then become stressed about the actual going to sleep bit.
I agree - the trying to waking up is definitely the worst bit!

Thank you! I'm going to try out different tips before bed and see if they help.

Had it again when staying in little ones room due to being scared and not sleeping well. I looked at the night camrea nothing to be seen. Thought I be acting strange. But no. Was scary has I nightmare I was doing something to my partner I fully woke up ran into him asked if he was okay did I just do anything he said it's just another nightmare n he said he sleep in little ones room, so I can stop having this happening to me.. I get it more when I'm very tired.

• Heart