'Sick note culture'

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Btw, is a sick note now called a fit note? Or are they two different things?
Yeah a Sick Note has been called a “fit note“ for a good few years now.

since 2013

Reactions: 1
I think, like with anything like that, there are people who abuse the system and take the piss but what is the percentage of that versus people who genuinely need help and appropriate access to healthcare and mental health support?

Reactions: 5
If mental health has increased so massively as a reason for being signed off sick, since the pandemic, why is the answer to not improve mental health services?

Reactions: 9
Yeah a Sick Note has been called a “fit note“ for a good few years now.

since 2013
Thanks. Why did they feel the need to change the name of it I wonder? Seems a bit daft to me. I always assumed a 'fit note' was something declaring one was 'fit' to return to work after having been signed off on a 'sick note' for a period of time. Aah you live & learn.

Thanks. Why did they feel the need to change the name of it I wonder? Seems a bit daft to me. I always assumed a 'fit note' was something declaring one was 'fit' to return to work after having been signed off on a 'sick note' for a period of time. Aah you live & learn.
I'm not sure why but the fit notes have levels, like you're not fit for work, fit if adjustments are made, or fit for work so I guess it's not you're 'sick' Vs 'not sick'

Reactions: 2
So the DR had a pre-printed grid to tick that you may be fit for some work with adjustments, and tick
-altered hours
-amended duties
-phased return
-workplace adjustments

before getting to the “not fit for any work” part of the note

it was changed to stop so many people getting signed off…
---
Because that's too obvious and costs too much money.
Will prob cost similar and same or better outcome than making ppl go to Capita Work Assessor

But how can you set a quota of how many people to deny at WCA?
And surely PIP also has quotas, their assessors aren’t all medically trained.
Who works out that 1 in 3 applications should fail, and how? Based on what Info?

PIP extrapolate one thing and use it to deny points in other areas, eg if you can dress your bottom half then you can stand and bend to cook a meal, so you can cook a meal even if you told them you can only stand for one minute and have no fine motor skills and can’t cook a meal.

I still don’t understand what benefits have to do with SSP -which is what you get paid if a GP signs you off sick, and entitles you to be paid £90/£100 a week SSP?
---
Ok I actually read the proposal properly, it’s here

There are no quotas for the number of people awarded LCW (limited capability for work) under UC or PIP (as far as anyone knows). There are targets for the number of people that assessors have to see per day. It has been claimed that this is too high to allow the assessors enough time to prepare and carry out the assessment properly.

PIP assessors have the same requirements for medical qualifications as ESA / UC assessors.

SSP is only paid for 28 weeks. After that someone still unable to work would have to claim ESA or UC(LCW).

Assessors (for ESA, UC and PIP) are looking for anything that contradicts the claims made on the health assessment form that the claimant has submitted. That might be apparent contradictions on the form itself or something said or done by the claimant during the assessment, in the waiting room before the assessment and even on the way into the building.
---
I don’t think there is a ‘sick note culture’. From my limited experience claiming benefits, it’s made so byzantine and capricious that the majority of people don’t end up claiming anywhere near what they’re entitled to.

It‘s just another dog whistle attempt by the Tories to appeal to a certain group of people who might vote for them.
PIP and Attendance Allowance have traditionally been under-claimed benefits. It's the recent economic crisis that has seen people casting around for any benefits that they might claim to get extra money. At the CAB where I work, besides requests for food vouchers, the biggest growth areas are general enquiries about what benefits are available and help with applications for PIP. Some of the PIP claims are pretty optimistic (to put it mildly) but some people have probably been eligible for years and just not claimed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I've heard the stuff about bonuses for denying benefits plenty of times but I don't think there's ever been any proof. I think it has been documented that that they have to meet a quota for the number of people they see and face consequences if they don't. This results in the assessments being rushed and mistakes made.
You're correct in noting that there isn't evidence of bonuses directly tied to denying benefits.

However, it was documented that PIP assessors contracted by Atos were incentivised to perform more assessments per day. They received an additional £50 for each assessment they completed beyond the standard quota of four per day in-office or three for home visits. Additionally, they were earning a bonus of £75 for each completed assessment. This incentive structure contributed to rushed appointments, as you mentioned, leading to potential inaccuracies in the assessment outcomes due to increased workload pressures.

There are no quotas for the number of people awarded LCW (limited capability for work) under UC or PIP (as far as anyone knows). There are targets for the number of people that assessors have to see per day. It has been claimed that this is too high to allow the assessors enough time to prepare and carry out the assessment properly.

PIP assessors have the same requirements for medical qualifications as ESA / UC assessors.

SSP is only paid for 28 weeks. After that someone still unable to work would have to claim ESA or UC(LCW).

Assessors (for ESA, UC and PIP) are looking for anything that contradicts the claims made on the health assessment form that the claimant has submitted. That might be apparent contradictions on the form itself or something said or done by the claimant during the assessment, in the waiting room before the assessment and even on the way into the building.
---

PIP and Attendance Allowance have traditionally been under-claimed benefits. It's the recent economic crisis that has seen people casting around for any benefits that they might claim to get extra money. At the CAB where I work, besides requests for food vouchers, the biggest growth areas are general enquiries about what benefits are available and help with applications for PIP. Some of the PIP claims are pretty optimistic (to put it mildly) but some people have probably been eligible for years and just not claimed.
Yes but the pip criteria are that you can do something regularly, reliably, safely and to a reasonable standard.
So the fact I could walk in the waiting room, could be used as evidence that I can walk, contradicting my form which says I can only walk in the early part of the day, and so I couldn’t walk the rest of the day after getting home from the assessment.

These are the sort of so-called contradictions they pick up.

Reactions: 5
Yes but the pip criteria are that you can do something regularly, reliably, safely and to a reasonable standard.
So the fact I could walk in the waiting room, could be used as evidence that I can walk, contradicting my form which says I can only walk in the early part of the day, and so I couldn’t walk the rest of the day after getting home from the assessment.

These are the sort of so-called contradictions they pick up.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the process, I'm just explaining how it works. Part of the problem is that in day-to-day conversation most people tend to play down their health problems and the effects on their life ... it's what I call the 'mustn't grumble' attitude. That's fatal in a conversation with a benefits assessor because they are looking for anything that indicates that it's not as bad as the claimant made out on the form. That's why I always advise clients to keep a copy of the form and make sure they read it carefully before attending an assessment - consistency is key.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the process, I'm just explaining how it works. Part of the problem is that in day-to-day conversation most people tend to play down their health problems and the effects on their life ... it's what I call the 'mustn't grumble' attitude. That's fatal in a conversation with a benefits assessor because they are looking for anything that indicates that it's not as bad as the claimant made out on the form. That's why I always advise clients to keep a copy of the form and make sure they read it carefully before attending an assessment - consistency is key.
Easiest thing I found (for my fluctuating condition) is to look at what you can’t do (per the pip criteria of regular, reliable, safely, to a reasonable standard) rather than describe what you can do.