Share your (not great) job interview stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You know a few people I know have told me this about McDonalds. I often wonder why customers are vile to fast food workers. I always say to my husband never to look down on people who work at maccies, subway, kfc etc as you may need to work there one day if you find yourself unemployed. A jobs a job at the end of the day.
Honestly I don’t get it either. I’ve worked in McDonald’s and I’ve worked in retail and I’ve been treated like dirt in both places. I had someone throw a cheeseburger at me because their chips were cold, I had a woman make a complaint to my manager because apparently I was chatting to my colleague (I wasn’t) and I’ve had people screaming in my face because there food didn’t come quick enough.
When I worked in retail, I actually had an older man ask me if I was working there because I wasn’t clever enough to go to uni, to which I replied, “I actually have a degree”. In fact, I had two older men say a similar thing to me, the other one was telling me about his granddaughter getting into uni when he says to me, “did you ever want to go to uni or couldn’t you get in?” 😡 I mean, even if I didn’t have a degree, why would that mean I’m not clever? And even if I wasn’t clever, why would that be a problem? We can’t all be PhD level clever, the world would be a weird place if we were.
Some people (mainly people that have lived a privileged life) just look down on retail and fast food workers and think they’re better than them, when really they’re the scum because they can’t treat everyone with respect.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
You know a few people I know have told me this about McDonalds. I often wonder why customers are vile to fast food workers. I always say to my husband never to look down on people who work at maccies, subway, kfc etc as you may need to work there one day if you find yourself unemployed. A jobs a job at the end of the day.
I feel the same about how some people treat call centre employees - why are you having a go at someone when it isn't a) their decision, b) their fault and c) they don't have the ability to change it.

Reactions: 9
I had a telephone interview, an assessment centre after which I was told I was the strongest candidate of the day, then another interview before getting to the final stage interview which was with the biggest witch ever. She asked if I was in a relationship (pretty sure you can't ask that) then when I said I was she said "this job has very long hours and you'll be working late a lot, I dont think your relationship can take that kind of pressure". Like she knows anything about my relationship! After all that they didn't even have the decency to contact me to say I hadn't got it, I wouldn't have wanted to work with people like that anyways!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
I second everyone who has worked at McDonald’s and been treated like dirt. I worked there when I was at college for a couple of years and it wasn’t a bad job, hard work but 50% of the staff were other college kids so we had a laugh, there were some wrong uns who worked there but as long as you knew how to stand your ground you were fine. Respect to anyone who has worked in fast food as it’s not for the faint hearted in any way. I did sit in my car a couple of times with my employee meal on a tray when I saw who was in the break room and did a swift U turn 😂 The worst customers I found were pissed up women coming through the drive thru in taxis on the night shift. More often than not they’d get mad thinking you’d given them the wrong order but they’d actually ordered the wrong thing, there’s no arguing with a drunk, especially as a 17 year old McDonald’s employee at 4am through a window getting ketchup thrown at you! Disgusting. I was reduced to tears on occasions and I’m generally a tough cookie.

My interview for McDonald’s lasted approximately 60 seconds 😂 the manager pretty much took one look at me and saw I could walk and talk and just ticked all the boxes on the form and said come in for a trial shift on Saturday 🤣

The worst interview I’ve had was my own doing because I had this wrap top on and didn’t realise I’d been sat with my bra/tits fully on show for the duration. The interviewers were two blokes and I did wonder why they looked so awkward. That was 10 years ago I still cringe about it now and am mentally scarred by any kind of wrap top/dress 😂

Not Jamie’s Italian but I did a full trial shift in a restaurant where the cheapest bottle of wine was £100, had no idea what I was doing and had to wait tables and pour drinks, the actual members of staff all looked down their nose at me, I didn’t get paid and I’m still waiting for them to let me know 14 years later 🤣 I can’t believe I actually stuck it out the full shift I should have just walked out!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
2 weeks ago. Location:UK
The company is held by a private equity firm.

Questions asked were:
1. How old I am
2. Am I married
3. Do I have kids
4. Why not

I am not joking, I swear! Interviewer is EU citizen. I will be forgiving if she is from some third world countries as these type of questions can be quite normal, but this....

Haven’t heard back since last Wednesday, interviewing is a two way street. I won’t be taking up the offer even if they offer me one...
Got asked at an interview these exact questions also by EU citizen employers lol. Not necessarily limited to 'third world countries' at all, the mindset is very similar everywhere. Even after I've said that I had no intention of getting married or having kids in the near future or maybe ever, the interviewer lady carried on by saying "Ohh, why not? You say that now, but you never know when you meet someone and they are the right person!" I was confused, like am I at a job interview or a matchmaker's session? Why do you care if I start a family with a partner who doesn't even exist, complete stranger I've never met before? I would have been snarky about it but I also really needed the job.

Guess my spinster life plans impressed them because they offered me the position, lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Got asked at an interview these exact questions also by EU citizen employers lol. Not necessarily limited to 'third world countries' at all, the mindset is very similar everywhere. Even after I've said that I had no intention of getting married or having kids in the near future or maybe ever, the interviewer lady carried on by saying "Ohh, why not? You say that now, but you never know when you meet someone and they are the right person!" I was confused, like am I at a job interview or a matchmaker's session? Why do you care if I start a family with a partner who doesn't even exist, complete stranger I've never met before? I would have been snarky about it but I also really needed the job.

Guess my spinster life plans impressed them because they offered me the position, lol.
Omg are we in the same interview? Sounds similar

Did you end up taking the role. I am having my 4th interview with them next week . (Also lol at the 4th, are they hiring CEO? They really grossly estimated their worth to put someone through a 4 stage interviews) 🚩

I think employers somehow discriminate female applicants who are married and in their late 30s because their clock might be ticking, they are afraid that female employees will go on met leave

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I feel the same about how some people treat call centre employees - why are you having a go at someone when it isn't a) their decision, b) their fault and c) they don't have the ability to change it.
🤣🤣 this is me everyday as I work in a call centre.

"You were charged for not making a payment? Well fancy that!"

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I used to work in a call centre too (had all the best jobs me!😂) and I totally agree. I was spoken to like utter dirt in the two years that I worked there and I nearly had a breakdown. Why people can’t just be kind in all situations is beyond me.

some of the comments were ridiculous too. I worked in the loyalty scheme department of an airline and some customers actually thought they were royalty.

• Heart
  • Sad
I had a trial shift at McDonald's and ended up walking out. The girl that was "training" me was really rude and kept rolling her eyes and smirking at other workers there.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Did you end up taking the role. I am having my 4th interview with them next week . (Also lol at the 4th, are they hiring CEO? They really grossly estimated their worth to put someone through a 4 stage interviews) 🚩

I think employers somehow discriminate female applicants who are married and in their late 30s because their clock might be ticking, they are afraid that female employees will go on met leave
I did! This was a couple years ago, thankfully I haven't met any similar treatment once I started working - only a passing comment or two from the older superiors when my coworker was getting married but I laughed them off. As a single 30 y/o woman, sadly I've been subjected to the "when are you getting married/having kids" questions enough times so it just bounces off of me nowadays. Like you said, they are terrified I'll suddenly decide to get pregnant and disappear into the sunset for my maternity leave. God forbid a woman dares to assume she can work and have children lmao.

4th interview!! I went through 3 stages myself 😬 I hope if you are offered/decide to take the job, they pay you to match that 4 stage interview. Employment market has become a joke.

Off topic but I have always been really impressed with McDonalds staff.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Off topic but I have always been really impressed with McDonalds staff.
I think it depends on the country set-up and, if it's a franchise business like it here is in NZ, what the owners are like. There's one not too far from me that must be incredible to work for - very low turnover (judging by the same people who have worked there for years) and they all seem genuinely happy. I went to one recently in a small town and it was really dirty - very unlike every other one I've been to.

I was chatting with a friend earlier, whose daughter had a few interviews this week with various companies (she's doing a gap year after finishing university and her parents have told her she has to get a job, which is fair enough). She has beautiful curly red hair and porcelain skin and was told by one woman that she could never hire a redhead because of their reputation for temper tantrums. Another woman seemed to dislike the fact that she was so "sickly pale" and suggested she get her bloods done - I mean, who says that to a candidate?! Poor thing was feeling well and truly defeated until she got a callback from a supermarket - for a job stacking shelves - that they'd initially rejected her for, but said they saw something special in her and would like her to return with a view to being added to the next intake for the managerial trainee scheme - amazing!

I have one of those faces where in my 20s I looked 30s, and now in my 40s I look 30s, and the question of "Do you have children?" often did, and does, come up. They can't legally discriminate against you regardless, but I daresay the annoyance of having to organise maternity cover and contribute to maternity leave would definitely be a factor in the 'against' box for hiring ... as is the likely request to have school holidays off.

• Wow
I have two examples -

1) A phone interview with a bloke who had a VERY thick Asian accent. I honestly had trouble understanding what was being said. After ten minutes, I decided to put the phone down.

2) An interview at Aldi's.

It was a group interview, and the first of THREE(Yes, three!) stages for what was basically a twenty hour a week Retail job. What I think killed my chances of ever working there was when I described an item as being 'Cheap' and not 'Value for Money' The Woman interviewing me generally looked annoyed that I said that.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I don't feel this interview story is necessarily a bad one, just a demonstration of how all the glitters is not gold, I guess. This was an interview for a huge tech firm where they sell themselves as being a great place to work, have every perk under the sun for employees etc etc.

I had to submit some samples of my work as part of the application. Stage 1 was a pre-recorded video test, I had to answer questions as they popped up on screen and submit. It was daunting, but I managed it. I then had a pre-screening call with a recruiter. She was an American woman who was the epitome of 'fake nice', very disingenuous but whatever.. I'm ready to play these games to get a job :ROFLMAO:

I was put forward for a Zoom interview with the head of the department, who was quite nice to be fair and I felt we had a good interview. I got feedback from the recruiter that head of department was quite impressed, my answers were good and she wanted me to progress to the next stage. This is where things get intense. I reached stage 3. An in-person series of interviews and a whiteboard test. I had three back-to-back 45 minute interviews with separate members of the team and let me tell you... it was intense as duck. and it was gruelling. I felt there was some aspect of psychological warfare going on too as one member of the team acted as if she personally hated me, another was suspiciously nice (reallllllly encouraging), whilst the other just seemed disinterested and disengaged. My whiteboard test was OK, a bit scary but I'm used to doing them in my chosen field. Following a tour of the campus, I must have been there for a good 4 hours. I was physically and mentally drained after all of this lol.

This whole process all took place over 6 weeks, and I was getting a little bit excited. However, I received an email... exactly a week after the interviews from fake nice recruiter who simply stated she didn't have good news. To be fair, she did follow up with a call and feedback the next day HOWEVER... I feel after a 6 week process and being told you got to the final hurdle (beating 200+ applicants) only to receive a short email saying "sorry, I don't have good news" would leave a really bad taste in anyone's mouth. You should ring someone and tell them in person first, not be so damn dismissive! This company claims that they care so much about their interview applicants and employees but I kind of got the feeling that nope, it's all smoke and mirrors... its all fake niceties for show.

I've since found employment in a much smaller firm (where I feel valued and respected) and have spoken to a few people who work(ed) in the company that I interviewed for. Most of them will say the perks are fantastic, but you're worked to the bone and everyone HAS to be 'happy' at all times (like a cult). I guess in the end, it worked out that I didn't get the role because I don't think I'd cope very well in an environment like that lol.
This sounds exactly like my experiment with Micro*oft

This morning I had an interview with a certain e-commerce company that hires at-home reps.

I thought I would've ticked several boxes, namely 1) being a prior customer of said company (and knowing how the system works); 2) having CSR experience; 3) proven experience working from home with a great set-up.

First (Teams) interview was with a lovely Irish lady at 1am my time; she asked why the window behind me was black and when I told her about the time difference; she replied that she didn't realise that was how time zones worked (!). All through the interview, she kept looking at her phone (I'm guessing it was) - she would read a question from her monitor, then when I went to answer her, she'd look at her phone. It was very rude behaviour but she herself was a delight. She undertook to get back to me within a couple of days with her decision. Within minutes, she responded to say I was through to the next round, and booked me in to see two people from the US. They were lovely too, but kept talking off topic (about COVID, politics and the weather), leaving very little time for discussion about the job. In 30 minutes, I must have made two comments max (nothing controversial) - it was as if I was observing a meeting between two people. Shortly afterwards I received an email advising I wasn't successful for the next stage as they didn't think I was the right fit.

I'm very much a believer in, "if it's meant to be, it'll be," so for whatever reason it wasn't meant for me, or I wasn't meant for it ... but I found the whole interview process very curious indeed. The people who interviewed me were early 20s and hipsters; I'm close to 50 and very traditional ... but the standout thing for me was their lack of experience. I'm used to dealing with recruiters who stay on topic, focused and are very professional ... I don't think I've ever interviewed with people wearing nose and eyebrow rings, and beanies. And I think they were right - I definitely wouldn't have been the right fit if that's how a lot of their staff present themselves. But each to their own, and I love people that are a bit different.

- - -

Back to add: A friend went for a Receptionist role with an appearance medicine clinic last week. The woman who interviewed her told her that unless she committed to a "treatment plan" to fix some issues, they couldn't progress with her application. The gall of it!!! I do get that you are an ambassador for the business, but this woman looks lovely as she is! If she was poorly presented then yeah, maybe ... but this is someone who gets regular cuts and colours, uses great skincare and dresses impeccably. Her only 'imperfections' are smile lines which only add gorgeous character to her face.

• Wow
A friend had an interview yesterday ... she was told by the man who interviewed her (at a guess, late 40s, and no oil painting); to begin with, he told her she was lucky that he decided to meet with her, given her age. My friend is late 40s, is presented beautifully, has great experience, and always creates a good impression. What a complete twit! When he called to offer her the job, he said that she'd better think carefully before declining it as at her age it's going to be incredibly hard to find something. She didn't mention her age on her CV, but he could obviously work it out as she gave dates for schooling, etc.

I cannot believe that people like this exist. She laid a complaint with the company who are "investigating" (i.e., nothing will ever happen).

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
A friend had an interview yesterday ... she was told by the man who interviewed her (at a guess, late 40s, and no oil painting); to begin with, he told her she was lucky that he decided to meet with her, given her age. My friend is late 40s, is presented beautifully, has great experience, and always creates a good impression. What a complete twit! When he called to offer her the job, he said that she'd better think carefully before declining it as at her age it's going to be incredibly hard to find something. She didn't mention her age on her CV, but he could obviously work it out as she gave dates for schooling, etc.

I cannot believe that people like this exist. She laid a complaint with the company who are "investigating" (i.e., nothing will ever happen).
I hope she declined the job and reported discrimination to their HR department.

I hope she declined the job and reported discrimination to their HR department.
She sure did! She is friends with an advisor to the CEO of this company so made sure to pass on her feedback to him too. Disgusting behaviour from that interviewer. She said he was really weird and damp-smelling. Sometimes the universe shifts things that aren't meant for us, swiftly out the way - I'm sure that's what happened here.

Reactions: 7
At a recent job interview I was asked a good few questions about what I do in my free time and at weekends. I suspected there and then he wanted me to be able to drop plans at the last minute and be available for work even though the advert was Monday to Friday 8-4. I had already had not great vibes during the interview so I made out I was super busy outside of work. I didn't get the job but I still reckon he was wanting me to say I had no life outside work and I will be at the office quick as lightening if he ever needed me 🥴

I was then lied to in another recent interview, monday to friday was the shift and was told one in three saturdays with a day off in the week. When I got there I was on a 6 day week with the excuse that a solid rota had not been done yet. I lasted 2 weeks but got my skates on, applied for jobs, rang in sick so I could attend an interview and got the job which is my current job.

Anyone else ever skived off work so they can attend an interview?

Reactions: 3
Not to say this is worst. Had an interview with an UK office, but the HQ is in the US...I was told that "because it is a US company, do expect them to be very 'work driven', they always want to 'pay less, but expect people to give more' but don't worry, since we are in the UK, I believe we can strike a right balance here"

Reactions: 1