Sewing šŸ§µ

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need a hobby and was thinking of joining an art class but also love working with textiles. Iā€™m thinking of getting a sewing machine, does anyone sew? Any tips? I wouldnā€™t want to do clothes, thinking more homeware.

Reactions: 2
I love sewing and to be honest any craft. There are lots of good but basic machines on the market now. When you say homeware, what are you thinking?

yes love sewing! I love crafting in general tbf. I've not got a machine though, I like doing it by hand

I love sewing and to be honest any craft. There are lots of good but basic machines on the market now. When you say homeware, what are you thinking?
Probably just cushions and small upholstery to start with šŸ™‚ Instead of lusting after cushions from the likes of Liberty London I can buy the fabric for less than a fifth of one and have fun creating. I wouldnā€™t mind attempting some clothing accessories but donā€™t want to get lost in patterns. I will probably be okay buying an entry level machine to get me started? What do you make by hand @shadowcat5 ?

Reactions: 1
I sew, it's quite an addiction once you get started šŸ¤£
I make dresses etc but have occassionally made pin cushions, tote bags etc.

To be honest most of my inspirations have come from watching sewing channels on YouTube. Then you start getting recommended other channels etc. There are lots of different Youtubers, some who do dressmaking, some who do homewares, some who do quilting etc. It's a good place to start.

I have recently upgraded my machine because I was using my first machine every weekend and wanted more features, but my initial Brother machine, around 200 quid, did me fine for a few years and is still my back up machine. I would say it could handle making cushions etc. However I am aware there are a few machines dedicated for more heavy duty fabrics like thick curtain material and jeans, I think one is called the Singer Heavy Duty, and it is grey. I don't have it but there are videos on YouTube where people review it, and their other sewing machines.

Hope you enjoy crafting šŸ˜Š

There are some videos on recommended machines for beginners:

Screenshot example
Screenshot_2023-01-09-18-34-43-43_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

• Heart
Probably just cushions and small upholstery to start with šŸ™‚ Instead of lusting after cushions from the likes of Liberty London I can buy the fabric for less than a fifth of one and have fun creating. I wouldnā€™t mind attempting some clothing accessories but donā€™t want to get lost in patterns. I will probably be okay buying an entry level machine to get me started? What do you make by hand @shadowcat5 ?
So mostly just pencil cases and I used to make little clothes for nieces doll. I started cross stitch as welI

• Heart
I sew, it's quite an addiction once you get started šŸ¤£
I make dresses etc but have occassionally made pin cushions, tote bags etc.

To be honest most of my inspirations have come from watching sewing channels on YouTube. Then you start getting recommended other channels etc. There are lots of different Youtubers, some who do dressmaking, some who do homewares, some who do quilting etc. It's a good place to start.

I have recently upgraded my machine because I was using my first machine every weekend and wanted more features, but my initial Brother machine, around 200 quid, did me fine for a few years and is still my back up machine. I would say it could handle making cushions etc. However I am aware there are a few machines dedicated for more heavy duty fabrics like thick curtain material and jeans, I think one is called the Singer Heavy Duty, and it is grey. I don't have it but there are videos on YouTube where people review it, and their other sewing machines.

Hope you enjoy crafting šŸ˜Š

There are some videos on recommended machines for beginners:

Screenshot example
View attachment 1869099
Fab, thank you ā˜ŗ I will check some YT videos out. Iā€™m terrible for putting off a hobby so need to dip my toe. I can imagine it getting quite addictive! I seen a couple of grey heavy duty machines on Argos and thought ā€œthey mean businessā€, haha. Looking forward to getting started. Nice to hear from people already there šŸ’•šŸŖ”

So happy thereā€™s a sewing thread on here!! I took up dressmaking halfway through 2022 and Iā€™m obsessed! Some of my fav YouTube channels are -

elle and the stitches
The crafty pie
Paige Joanna
The Baker Who Sews

and podcasts I love are -
The tipsy sewists
Love to Sew

theyā€™re all fab for fabric and project inspo and I love listening to the sewing fails stories because they make me feel better when Iā€™ve messed something up šŸ¤£

• Heart
I bought my machine in 2020 and was so intimidated by it at first! I only started making stuff just November gone šŸ˜‚ I made some tote bags and zippered pouches with fat quarters from Aldi. I have a Brother AE1700. I'm not sure it would be great for home interiors but some on Amazon said they made jeans and curtains with it. I really want to get into dressmaking this year. My first garment project I want to tackle is making some pyjamas with Simplicity's 1563. Not sure if I'll be able to get the confidence to start though! I really love Tilly and The Buttons patterns. I heard they're good for beginners too.

I bought my machine in 2020 and was so intimidated by it at first! I only started making stuff just November gone šŸ˜‚ I made some tote bags and zippered pouches with fat quarters from Aldi. I have a Brother AE1700. I'm not sure it would be great for home interiors but some on Amazon said they made jeans and curtains with it. I really want to get into dressmaking this year. My first garment project I want to tackle is making some pyjamas with Simplicity's 1563. Not sure if I'll be able to get the confidence to start though! I really love Tilly and The Buttons patterns. I heard they're good for beginners too.
You can do it! šŸ˜Š if you want to work your way up, I definitely recommend starting off with some TATB patterns ( her books are great!) or Hubbading patterns, theyā€™re both super easy to follow and great for beginners!

You can do it! šŸ˜Š if you want to work your way up, I definitely recommend starting off with some TATB patterns ( her books are great!) or Hubbading patterns, theyā€™re both super easy to follow and great for beginners!
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will look up Hubbading; never heard of them before. I'd love to try a TATB one. I think I just get anxious about cutting into a fabric really šŸ˜‚