Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I think there are lots of factors that have affected me, I was bullied at a previous job which I left in December and then I went into a new job which was just awful in different ways. I'm now in a job I absolutely love. I know this hasn't helped my skin and its probably been building up and resulted in the eczema developing in July.

Unfortunately I know there isn't a miracle cure but I can't keep my face moisturised enough. I've had reactions to everything the doctor has given and currently using child's farm but it isn't enough and was wondering if cerave may help me more.

I've never heard pawpaw ointment what is that?

I have used a steroid cream it worked for a day or two but then stopped. When I have my next appointment hopefully they give me something else.

Thankyou, I hope I do too! X
Sorry to hear about your job but glad to hear things are improving now. It’s so difficult really, this year has been so hard on everyone am sure the ‘background’ stress of lockdown and everything has had such an impact!

The papaw stuff I use isn’t ‘active’ medication as such but really helps to keep my skin from getting dry (breaking the itch-scratch cycle as I have heard it described!). This is similar the one I use https://www.feelunique.com/p/Dr-Paw-Paw-Original-Multipurpose-Balm-25ml - I have a massive pot a friend brought me from Aus, it’s almost like Vaseline but thicker? When my skin is bad I put it on every few hours. I have also heard people recommending Balmonds - a really thick moisturising balm which does a similar thing. And aveeno is good as someone else has suggested too (I would put aveeno on first and then pawpaw over the top to stop it drying out!). You don’t want stuff that soaks into your skin too quickly otherwise it gets so dry x

Clickbait

VIP Member
Sending you best wishes @Sharl20 because I’ve had horrendous eczema before and I know how debilitating it can be. I would echo the sentiments about the use of steroid cream, particularly on your face.

Have you been told to do any overnight wraps? Slightly trickier on your face but not impossible. Essentially you put cotton bandage strips over any products that you’ve applied to keep the product on your skin and not all over your bed/pillow. I’ve found clingfilm also works in place of the bandage with clothing on top although that is definitely not practical for your face! You can either wrap the bandages or use medical tape to secure. Alternatively you can buy a cheap tissue face mask and let it dry out, then use this over the cream.

It will look a bit mad and it’s awful feeling all bandaged up and greasy, but keeping the skin hydrated and moist, really helps to heal the cracking. If you haven’t already checked them out the Eczema Society have lots of information that may be of help.

TruffleTrifle

Hi, I went through something similar about 8 years ago and it flares up intermittently ever since. Not sure what initially caused it but I think it was a stress reaction to the awful relationship I was in at the time. I too have tried the tacrolimus cream but I hated it. Now, managing my skin since has been a full time job. Every time I flare up it’s a trial and error to see what will fix it this time.

Anyway here’s what works for me:
Complete skin reset. I use only Doublebase on my face (you can get it off amazon, it moisturises and provides a protective barrier while it heals underneath).

Don’t let get your face under hot water and wash your hands before applying moisturiser.

No makeup, perfumed products, hairsprays! (I use the Elnett unfragranced now)

For a cleanser use the least chemical thing you can, possibly Cerave can help you with this.

Take anti histamines to calm your skin down.

Avoid any products with Methylisothiazolinone (shampoos mostly)

You’ll be surprised how quickly you’ll heal without needing steroids but it might need anti biotics? It’s definitely worth a try I think. This will sound gross but when my eczema flares up nowadays I sometimes find a dab of athletes foot cream works faster than steroids 🤣 I’ve also found adding a few drops of tea tree oil to my bodywash once or twice a week helps keep flare ups at bay

I find diet wise my triggers are dairy and gluten. I don’t cut them out completely but I do cut back.

hope all this helps. Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any further help. I know how horrible it is to go through x