Screen time - tips on reducing it!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,

So recently I've been really annoyed at myself for the mindless amount of scrolling I do on my phone for no reason whatsoever. I realised how bad it is for me because of these things in particular:

- Going to bed late because I keep scrolling
- Not paying attention to the tv and having to rewind
- Getting up late and then getting annoyed when the traffic delays me :LOL:
- Generally feeling like a zombie that goes from app to app
- Taking weeks to finish a book cos I'm on my phone instead

For the last couple of days I've been leaving my phone on the other side of the living room and then finding something else to do when it feels weird to not be doing something while watching tv. e.g. Sudoku

I wondered if anyone had any tips for reducing screen time?

Reactions: 5
This was my new years resolution. Started off really well but sunk back in!

Have a declutter of people you follow! I unfollowed/muted a lot of people!! That in turn gave me less to scroll through.

Reactions: 2
Not sure if it would help for screen time in general, but I often use the Forest app when studying. You choose a time that you want to stay off your phone for and you then plant a tree in your virtual forest for that length of time. You can unlock different types of trees, see your forest for the day/month/year etc. I think a dead tree shows up if you leave the app before the time is up. Sounds really basic, but the trees are so cute that it actually works :ROFLMAO:

Another thing I've heard of people trying (though I've never actually done it myself) is turning your phone into black and white only. Everything gets a whole lot less interesting then! Disabling notifications helped me concentrate a lot more, though this was mainly to stop me picking up my phone immediately at every single buzz rather than scrolling instagram etc. Try unfollowing a load of people on social media, I find that I follow a lot who aren't really that interesting and I don't gain anything from seeing their content, but they've sneaked in nonetheless and upped my screen time.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the replies as I'm still trying to do better!

Not sure if it would help for screen time in general, but I often use the Forest app when studying. You choose a time that you want to stay off your phone for and you then plant a tree in your virtual forest for that length of time. You can unlock different types of trees, see your forest for the day/month/year etc. I think a dead tree shows up if you leave the app before the time is up. Sounds really basic, but the trees are so cute that it actually works :ROFLMAO:

Another thing I've heard of people trying (though I've never actually done it myself) is turning your phone into black and white only. Everything gets a whole lot less interesting then! Disabling notifications helped me concentrate a lot more, though this was mainly to stop me picking up my phone immediately at every single buzz rather than scrolling instagram etc. Try unfollowing a load of people on social media, I find that I follow a lot who aren't really that interesting and I don't gain anything from seeing their content, but they've sneaked in nonetheless and upped my screen time.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the replies as I'm still trying to do better!
I did try the black and white thing then had to put it back on cos I need colour to check the traffic for my commute, haha.

My issue isnt actually following people cos I dont really follow people, I more browse profiles then get into a hole of looking at people/topics.

It's so addictive though, I've started to feel the effects on my brain of being hooked on the scrolling. Scary really!

Reactions: 1
I did try the black and white thing then had to put it back on cos I need colour to check the traffic for my commute, haha.

My issue isnt actually following people cos I dont really follow people, I more browse profiles then get into a hole of looking at people/topics.

It's so addictive though, I've started to feel the effects on my brain of being hooked on the scrolling. Scary really!
Sounds identical to me. I think its almost like a mild form of OCD. I feel that I am constantly scrolling through instagram, facebook groups, twitter. Then coming on here I get lost in soooo many different threads. I also end up on random peoples facebooks or instagram scrolling through their lives. No matter how hard I try I just dont seem to be able to stop!!

That sounds like such a good app. I definitely need to download this.

I'm the same, I spend a lot of time scrolling and if I dont find anything interesting I keep scrolling everything until I do. 😭

Reactions: 4

Yel

Try to ban yourself from ever using the phone in bed or an hour before bedtime.

Delete the social media apps - they're all designed with with sinister algorithms to keep you scrolling and scrolling but this doesn't benefit you. TikTok, Facebook and ig are the worst.

Put your phone in another room when watching a movie or go for a walk and leave it at home.

I'm trying to be better but imagine how fucked kids will be that have grown up with a tablet 🙀

Try to ban yourself from ever using the phone in bed or an hour before bedtime.

Delete the social media apps - they're all designed with with sinister algorithms to keep you scrolling and scrolling but this doesn't benefit you. TikTok, Facebook and ig are the worst.

Put your phone in another room when watching a movie or go for a walk and leave it at home.

I'm trying to be better but imagine how fucked kids will be that have grown up with a tablet 🙀

I know for a fact I wont be able to delete the apps. I know I should but its almost a compulsion. I am definitely going to download that forest app as that sounds great. Im also going to make a point of not using my phone in bed. I tend to aimlessly scroll when my husband sleeps as he's out like a light normally and I cant. Im going to swap my phone for a book. I always say I never read enough and that's because im wasting my time on completely inane tit. I've also taken up running which means I zone out.

Reactions: 4

Yel

I know for a fact I wont be able to delete the apps. I know I should but its almost a compulsion. I am definitely going to download that forest app as that sounds great. Im also going to make a point of not using my phone in bed. I tend to aimlessly scroll when my husband sleeps as he's out like a light normally and I cant. Im going to swap my phone for a book. I always say I never read enough and that's because im wasting my time on completely inane tit. I've also taken up running which means I zone out.
I do find deleting the aps helps and use the web based version of the sites as it's not as addictive. Definitely turn off notifications from the apps.

My life is so much better without Facebook and Instagram apps, I still use them but the website instead.

I do find deleting the aps helps and use the web based version of the sites as it's not as addictive. Definitely turn off notifications from the apps.

My life is so much better without Facebook and Instagram apps, I still use them but the website instead.
That's a good point to be fair. Im not remotely bothered about facebook to be honest. Perhaps I can start with that!

I deleted all social media but I let Instagram creep back in

Huge unfollowing spree

I have deleted any apps I don’t need such as shops and news.

Go through your notifications and turn the ones off you don’t need. My mum is terrible for having every news app on alerts and picks her phone up the second it beeps and then spend way too much time scrolling. Argh. Annoys me ha

Out of curiosity what is your screen time? Mine was 7 hours a day last week 😱 I couldn’t believe it. My husbands always saying I love my phone more than him 😂 I am currently on maternity leave and find myself scrolling etc when baby sleeps and once the kids go to bed it’s my way of zoning out.

I would like to get it down to around 2 hours max.

Out of curiosity what is your screen time? Mine was 7 hours a day last week 😱 I couldn’t believe it. My husbands always saying I love my phone more than him 😂 I am currently on maternity leave and find myself scrolling etc when baby sleeps and once the kids go to bed it’s my way of zoning out.

Not that I’m encouraging you(!) but 7 hours isn’t surprising if you’re on maternity leave. I know a lot of mums find their phones to be a life line.

Mine is 4-5 hours which I think is terrible considering I have a full time job and don’t use my phone in work time!

I am gonna put my phone on the other side of the room when I watch my usual evening tv tonight. Anyone is welcome to join in the challenge! We can do it! 😂

I have deleted all social media from my phone. Twitter and Facebook I deleted three years ago and Instagram I deleted last month. I can still access through the browser on my phone but Twitter I don't as I can't remember my password and Instagram on the browser isn't great. I find when it comes to the browser, I scroll way less than I did on the apps. I've got my screen time down to 1-2 hrs a day.

As soon as I am going to bed, I put my phone on the charger which is across the room. I never go on my phone while eating dinner with my partner unless I want to Google something. And I used to be really bad for going on my phone while he was driving but I don't do that either.

I also unfollowed basically all influencers on SM so when I do scroll, it is interesting stuff not just vapid posts.

I also set a daily limit for screen time on my phone.

3 years ago I'm so obsessed with phone which it is affected my relationship with my partner.
I decided no phone on weekend when my partner come over. 3 hours on phone each day and read book every night before bed. Going to gym and leave phone in locker which make me exercise more.

I limit myself to one hour a day. I used to be terrible. It never left my side. Now I limit myself to a hour and I have a Apple Watch so I can reply to any text messages I may receive without actually having my phone in my hand. It was affecting my studying and enjoying things like reading a nice book. So I check everything I want including tattle and once my hours up. That’s it till tomorrow. Takes a while to break the habit but you will get there x

Reactions: 3
I think personally I'll be most successful when I physically distance myself from the phone.

I don't think deleting the apps would work for me cos I'd find a reason to download them again.

When I've been leaving my phone far away from me in the evenings, it's so much more pleasant. I enjoy what I'm watching/reading and I go to bed on time.

It is really satisfying seening how the screen time goes down too.

My screen time is something similar and i am on maternity too,I find myself constantly picking up my phone and checking things. I deleted Instagram and twitter as the website versions or nowhere near as easy to mindlessly scroll through. My
Problem seems to be that I move one ‘addiction’ to another-so now I’m not using Instagram much but I’ve switched that to tattle or mumsnet or a stupid game-very frustrating. The past two days I have turned everything off bar calls messages and podcasts between 9am and 3pm-it definitely helps. I might try that forest app as well.
im trying hard not to be on my phone when I’m watching tv-I have so many bad phone related habits to break!

I find if I don't have my phone in my hand I want to snack to keep busy 🙈 I do try and put it down for a few hours in the day now just so I can get other things done!