Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Gal4Gals

A previous poster asked why follow these accounts if we find them annoying. Good question and for me it was entertainment/escapism to begin with but I have since unfollowed several of them and the ones I didn’t follow anyway, I stopped looking at them.

The ones I followed initially for some pleasant home/interiors content morphed into these selling platforms, some of them hustling hard. Sarah’s account was one of those that changed the most. Over time it was constant selling/ads - food, interiors, hair and beauty, kids clothes, fashion, kids accessories, dental and honestly cannot remember the rest. It was easy to swipe on by as the items didn’t interest me in the least. Also, some of the products were promoted by various other accounts and so that in itself became less genuine content - the promoter wasn’t necessarily a devoted user of the product but instead was just pushing sales irrespective of how good the product was.
Then there was the asking for recommendations - I recall one question about hairdryers - and lo and behold she was gifted a personalised hairdryer by a company that I can’t even recall. I seem to remember her talking enthusiastically about her food mixer and then was maybe gifted a competitor brand and then was extolling the virtues of it. Then there were the constant references to Foxford and now lo and behold she’s a BA. I do think there is most definitely strategy at play in all of the above. And you know what, if that’s where her aspirations lie then good for her. Just as long as the viewers/followers understand it for what it is - the objective being to sell, sell. Just because a mam and housewife from down the road is promoting a product, it may seem more relatable but don’t assume that it is her personal recommendation. I get that sales is part of her job now but it is important to understand marketing strategies and not just fall for the notion that Sarah is just like us so if she says it’s good then you should buy.

To be honest, the main reason I stopped following Sarah is not about the selling - that is merely an irritation resolved by swiping on by. It was because of the content.

Firstly, it was dull - bed runs, hair bands, tablescaping to name but a few things. It felt like a 1950s housewife page. There was nothing of interest to me any longer, it was all a bit vacuous and self-absorbed. And in many ways it was also a bit tone deaf. As others have said previously, she never mentioned the pandemic that I can recall. People dying, loved ones not being able to be there, the inevitable impact on livelihoods, parents struggling with homeschool, health workers and retail workers and teachers and the refuse collectors and many others keeping essential parts of society functioning yet all we got was look at all the stuff I ordered from Zara this week. I just don’t get that mentality at all.

Secondly and most of all, what put me off was the over-sharing. The kids were shown too much in my opinion but then again that is a decision she must justify as a parent. What sealed it though was the promotion of a podcast about grief. I never listened to the podcast as it doesn’t feel right to me to do so. From a previous post on here, it seems that she described her sister’s last moments as she held her daughter’s hand. Correct me if that is wrong as like I said, I have never heard the podcast. I would never want to diminish Sarah’s grief about her sister’s death but her sister had a partner and a daughter and other family and friends. To share those intimate last moments that the little girl and her mother shared should not be for public consumption. It’s more than just Sarah’s story to tell - it’s a story that belongs to her niece and her niece’s father and that little girl was too young to have a say. I don’t know if she got paid for the podcast and therefore monetised the situation but if not, the very fact of using that as content in any case put me right off. It seems that nothing is sacred.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

Picture123

I used to follow her but my god her stories would put years on you. She talks so slow and quiet, takes forever to get to the point and has no charisma or personality. Her account has become ad ad ad. It's all high end, expensive stuff (even when she does a makeup video or shows her perfume it's only the best of the best). The opening packages and not remembering what she ordered wrecks me too, in the real world people know what they've spent their money on. The constant ordering bland clothes, I don't know where she's going in them and can't remember a single thing she orders because it's all so wishy washy samey. Her house is lovely, she's very fortunate to have a gorgeous family and her husbands business must have been pretty successful pre covid but I just find her so unrelatable now. As people have mentioned she hasn't really addressed covid or anything happening in the world, just buy some zara/cos shite, buy a load of skincare shite and buys everything in Trevor Morrow and repeat. I've never seen Trevor morrow mentioned as gifted/sponsored or collab but can't believe that she's buying everything full price and constantly advertising them for free!

Reactions: 20

Jackjack38

VIP Member
The most boring woman in Ireland Cherington is on literally BEGGING for a Weber bbq rotisserie part
From that arboretum shop

God love her with the hand out

I’ve a trocaire box here If it’s any good to you?
Seen that, I absolutely cringe at the begging and tagging the shop just to make sure they know 🙈. It's mortifying.
I was just watching Laura DeBarra and she said these home accounts have everyone now treating interiors like fast fashion, I never thought of it like that but it's so true. Buying cushions for different seasons and literally redecorating your home every few months. I've had the same cushions for years, I just wash the covers avery few weeks. My towels are yrs old, it just puts so much unnecessary pressure on people.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Not pointed directly at Sarah. But does it also bother anyone else when bloggers put up there size clothes all the time and continue to express how big there XS size clothing is on them!! I read yesterday that insta are looking to bring in a rule to not do this anymore as it’s triggering for people with eating disorders! Like fair enough sharing what size it is but please don’t make me feel any worse than I am already :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 18
I don’t know they are all a cross between Stepford wives and hyacinth bouquet for me, No personality, no sense of humour and no imagination.. If one gets something they all have to get it .. god forbid they do something a little different!! White company bedding ✅ Neptune ✅ Zara home ✅ cream chippings ✅ automatic lawnmower ✅ .. constant using kids for content ✅. So boring ..
the poor husbands in the background trying to fund the constant showing off ! While they pop back into the xs jeans after another baby. I stopped following long ago .. who cares.. it’s so boring.
I feel sorry for the people who aspire to be like these dim wits or think this is reality!

Reactions: 18

AnnaBananaPie

VIP Member
So glad I found this thread!
I follow all these ‘insta’ perfect house accounts abd have a LOT to say about them!
Just marking my spot here so it shows up on my feed for after work later ✌🏻✌🏻

• Haha
Reactions: 17

Gal4Gals

I am a new user of Instagram - only since lockdown last year but my use has reduced again as life gets back to some degree of normality. For me Instagram was just a form of entertainment and a bit of escapism. Although I find that both are lacking now anyway - there is very little escapism/entertainment in making beds or hearing about a Spotlight toothbrush. However, I noted something a bit more insidious about the accounts I once followed and that I didn’t like. Let me explain....

I occasionally watch Real Housewives (New York, Beverley Hills, etc) - easy, efffortless trash TV. The women in it are very privileged and curate an image, a lifestyle, with the glamour and travel to amazing destinations. They use their position to then promote their own existing businesses or set up new ones, they collaborate, advertise, partner with brands covering fashion, beauty products, wine, and so on. Now I know I will never live in Orange County or marry an older rich entrepreneur and I’m good with that. I’m a realist and I understand that what I am seeing is often scripted, contrived and not something to aspire to. We all understand that in watching those shows what we are seeing is a world away from our real lives.
You see where I am going with this...

There are parallels with the Real Housewives and the digital creators/influencers on Instagram, albeit on a local/parochial/county/provincial level 😉 However, while you are unlikely to compare yourself to Bethenny in NYC, you may be more susceptible to comparing yourself with Sarah down the road in Ballina (or any of the others who go down a similar path or are hoping to follow suit). After all they are just like us in some ways - local women, mams, some with careers outside the home. So you begin to feel inadequate as you perceive that they are all winning at life on the basis of what you see on screen - a nice home, everything tidy, make-up applied, different outfits every day, plenty of disposable income (to spend on frivolous tablescaping accessories - can’t get my head around that one lol), self-care/me time, all while juggling the family demands of sleepless nights/breastfeeding/homework/after school activities. You may buy what they are trying to flog through their brand ambassador roles because on some subconscious level you feel that you need that item so that you too can win at life. That’s the basis of marketing but when the marketing is delivered by ordinary mams/housewives rather than celebrities it is a little more sneaky in its methods. But....

Just like the Real Housewives, the facade must be hard to maintain - behind the scenes there may be money troubles (spending beyond means to keep up appearances), the stress of being on screen (presentable, make up on when you feel like just wearing PJs and have your hair in a scrunchie), sacrificing of your family’s privacy (strangers knowing details about kids, where you live), the use of personal family events as content (weddings, bereavements), and so on.

Everything in life has its time and eventually Instagram will be replaced by something else. But what then for the Insta Mams? I wonder if they will look back and think it was all worth it to give up their families’ privacy for a quick buck? Was it worth it to maybe ruin their credibility should they try to go back into normal employment? Was it worth it to maybe have local people gossip about you and the notions you appear to have?

Don’t let Sarah’s unrealistic lifestyle fuelled by compulsive purchasing of material items get to you. Her content is fake and contrived. Even this evenings post about a ’wine date in the garden’....would ya come on ta f*ck. These eejits think they are in the real housewives of Beverly Hills.

Great post @Gal4Gals ... so true.
SweatyBettyT lol I was just doing a full blown essay comparing to Real Housewives, posted it and then saw your post - our minds think alike!!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Gal4Gals

As a woman and a mother, hearing that some have feelings of inadequacy after looking at the likes of Sarah’s account is heartbreaking and illustrates the problem with accounts such as hers.
Sarah carefully curates a particular image - portraying all manner of things such as whipping up family meals from scratch, regular modelling of new outfits while sporting a full face of make-up, constant shopping, etc, all while juggling the demands of a large family. It’s just not representative of real life in my opinion.
I have 4 children including a set of twins. Myself and my husband work (both from home at present and in very flexible jobs) and it is crazy busy almost every day. Nothing that Sarah posts is in anyway relatable for me, or most families I would imagine.
Of course Sarah is not responsible for any feelings of inadequacy we might have - as these instagrammers often tell us, if you don’t like their content, just unfollow. However, as a woman and a mother of girls in particular, I would hope that she might feel some sense of responsibility for her content and quit with the tagging of her clothes size (daughters see this and are influenced by it) and stop the over consumption of clothes/household accessories/constant unnecessary redecorating/“scaping” (our children will inherit this planet - mass consumerism causes damage to people and places as a result of child labour/slavery, deforestation, pollutants, climate change).

• Heart
Reactions: 16

JJJ1234

Chatty Member
Im back at work after maternity leave, so glad I don’t look at ANY of them anymore.. it was not good for my mental health.. started following lots of accounts last year because I thought I’d have things in common with them, but at first they just made me feel bad about myself and my life, even though I have a very good life .. and so much to be grateful for. As I began to learn how fake and calculating they all are, they still annoyed me. it was the way they thought they were fooling people that really got to me.
Anyhoo I think before long most people will realise that they are better off not following these boring sheep 🐑
I just smiled when I read about Sarah and the PJs that lead to the free Robe, like buy your own robe and stop begging Miss Moneybags, we know what you are at! I won’t be back on here much .. I’ll be enjoying my own life .. you know .. buying my own stuff 😉 it’s so satisfying.. maybe they should try it!
They are sheep- all part of the same pr flock. I agree how fake and calculating they all are- I wish I was as naive and trusting as so many of their followers are but... once you see the manipulation there is no unseeing it! These influencers are on a road to nowhere really. Once they get any kind of following and sign up to an agency they all morph into one another because they are coached to do the same tricks to get engagement.

Reactions: 16

Sunday Roast

VIP Member
She did enough begging for one last year. I’ve a good mind to email the garage and tell them unless they have sales rooms in Eastern Europe they won’t get much business!

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Maraco

I think it is very unfair to say Sarah is insulated from problems and sadness. She lost her sister a few years back and is clearly still bereft without her. Whatever way it pans out for them there is no denying her husbands business has now lost a solid 12 months of work. That is not easy. Like she set up an Instagram page because her house was featuring on a TV show. It's not her job to make people who have very little money feel better. There are plenty of pages who show good bargain shopping etc. If you're watching any page and are pissed off because the person has a better lifestyle than you then seriously you need to ask yourself why you're following pages that make you feel shit. It's more to do with you than the instgrammer!
My opinion of her being insulated is in the context of a global pandemic as referred to in my post. As someone who has experienced close loss like so many, including Sarah, my empathy would ensure that is a given. I have a lovely comfortable life for which I am very grateful. The ability to observe and voice opinion on this forum does not mean I or anyone else is petty minded or jealous of the portrayal of someone's lifestyle. I think we're all educated and smart enough to know the difference.

• Heart

SweatyBettyT

VIP Member
Aw thank you! It does get to me some days! ❤
Don’t let Sarah’s unrealistic lifestyle fuelled by compulsive purchasing of material items get to you. Her content is fake and contrived. Even this evenings post about a ’wine date in the garden’....would ya come on ta f*ck. These eejits think they are in the real housewives of Beverly Hills.

Great post @Gal4Gals ... so true.

• Haha
  • Heart

AnnaBananaPie

VIP Member
The most boring woman in Ireland Cherington is on literally BEGGING for a Weber bbq rotisserie part
From that arboretum shop

God love her with the hand out

I’ve a trocaire box here If it’s any good to you?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

AnnaBananaPie

VIP Member
Seen that, I absolutely cringe at the begging and tagging the shop just to make sure they know 🙈. It's mortifying.
I was just watching Laura DeBarra and she said these home accounts have everyone now treating interiors like fast fashion, I never thought of it like that but it's so true. Buying cushions for different seasons and literally redecorating your home every few months. I've had the same cushions for years, I just wash the covers avery few weeks. My towels are yrs old, it just puts so much unnecessary pressure on people.
Totally agree it’s gone v like fast fashion with the rate at which were being ‘sold’ interiors too.

If I see one more blogger with one more twig of pampAss grASS 😫
Or those scrawly lady bits sketch pictures framed😫
They’re literally the new Life Laugh Love 😂

But I do think it’s nice to build up over the years a little homewares seasonal box of stuff that’s cute for Easter or for Halloween etc...not throw it out but add to it each year. I love doing that 🥰

• Haha
  • Heart

SweatyBettyT

VIP Member
So random a nearly 40 year old mother of 5 very young children preening herself so much in the mirror. She really LOVES herself.
I’m all for self care, but a 240km round trip to get your hair done is excessive to me.

I have no kids, no animals, a husband and I work full time and I’ll be hoorin’ it 2 mins down the road tomorrow to support my local hairdresser...and finding that 1.5 hrs in my week was a struggle....maybe I’ve got it wrong and SB has it right...thoughts anyone?

Disappointed to see that SB didn’t support her local hairdressers in Ballina...

JJJ1234

Chatty Member
The desperation. She just tagged James Kavanagh on a pic of Aran sweaters. She wrote that her twins love his style. James-they don’t know you. They’re babies. They wouldn’t know a sweater from a shovel. You’re welcome. Sarah- you are pathetic with the lengths you will go to to monetize your children. You are using your own children, with all of the negatives that go along with that, to make money. Sit with that.

• Haha
I find her sooo dull. The most interesting thing about her is her hot husband! Their home is beautiful though. There is nothing real about her or her page; there is no personality there. I would say that image is everything to her...she has never commented on covid affecting their business (& they must have taken a massive financial hit). She doesn't need to give personal details but you would think she'd acknowledge that it has been a difficult year even just to make her more relatable to her followers. However, that wouldn't tie in with her 'perfect image' and I don't think she wants to be relatable to the average follower, she probably thinks she is above that/them. I do get a good laugh from their engagement photoshoot though 😂

Reactions: 13

Rogue-rats

We have a self build a lot bigger than hers with the same electric gates, pillars, stone walls with more pillars and the chippings so I know exactly how much things cost.We all save up but it's not crazy money. She is not buying a house in Dublin, like me when u self build in the countryside you have more money to spend. She's not the only one to have this done, my parents have cast iron lights up their drive with over 30 years. I never said her iron lamps were freebies. It's a few thousand for an entrance to a house, we all factor this into our build and you save for it. We all don't get major discounts, pr drops or gifts and we still manage to do it. She's not the first to put in electric gates, an entrance and driveway.
I can't quite figure out whether your post is a humblebrag for your home or your parents lights or you're genuinely pissed off that she gets so much free stuff/discounts etc. I'm well aware of costs - Nothing is cheap for building and decorating, of course Dublin has a premium but it's a bit of a kick in the face to posters that only a few pages back were saying that they're barely finished their own homes and gardens years after they moved in so as not to get into debt. Might be nice to acknowledge that perhaps you're in a luckier position than most that can build a "bigger" house, and do all the finishes touches without it costing "crazy money" Or maybe a linky to your insta so we can judge you tattle style??;)

I don’t know, there is a sadness or unhappiness behind these accounts, a constant need for approval or to show off, despite having so much they never seem satisfied, content or happy with their current situation always wanting to do this or that despite having beautiful homes. They are showing god knows who everything about their kids every day from illness to their first milestones, tantrums, likes dislikes .. with Sarah the twins were only a day old and up on the grid, did every random stranger on Instagram need to see them in those precious sacred hours. Where mum and babies should be bonding was mum thinking about Instagram content and what to post. Surely even bloggers take a few day’s maternity leave. But no it was business as usual with posting. I think that with this particular set of Instagrammers, its not about the money it’s more about the fame and the adoration and the “look at me”
I’ll never understand why anyone would want to share every aspect of their family / home life in front of thousands every day. It makes me cringe at the thought, There is definitely a want or unhappiness there ..

Ahcomeon

Chatty Member
So random a nearly 40 year old mother of 5 very young children preening herself so much in the mirror. She really LOVES herself.