Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HowardMoon

VIP Member
I’m so glad we’re talking about BB again on here. It’s never quite sat right with me that these two rich privileged women are in charge of a charity that provides toiletries to people in severe need. What the fuck do they know about it, anyway? Have they any experience of poverty themselves? Have they missed school because they ran out of tampons? Have they had to go to a job interview with BO due to a lack of soap/deodorant? Of course it’s possible to empathise with people in that situation but they don’t actually understand it, not really (the stupid Bum Bum cream is a great example of this) and that’s my issue with BB.

Even the name is wrong imo. What’s Beauty got to do with tampons and sanitary towels? Or toothpaste or soap? That’s what people who are struggling need - the essentials. And what about men/boys? Hygiene applies to all, Beauty not as much. ‘Beauty products’ to me denotes something non-essential which helps us look better than before but Hygiene comes first, surely? Hygiene Banks was around first, maybe not by a long way, but it was. Then BB was created. WHY? They are so similar in name and purpose that surely Sali could have gotten involved with HB if she was that intent on making a difference? Instead she goes and sets up the same charity, essentially, potentially splitting the loyalty of people who donate. If you regularly donate to BB would you also to HB? Most people have a few charities they support and stick to. Wouldn’t it have been better to have one big Hygiene Poverty charity that is the one everyone knows and donates to? HB also partner with places like more affordable organisations such as Boots which is a much better match than Cult Beauty. Cult Beauty is only a good match for Sali.

It’s hard to voice any criticism of a charity without sounding like a massive dick and I’m glad people will be getting some nice presents this year thanks to BB. However, Sali and Jo’s silly childish dancing on social media and having to be front and centre of this charity which shouldn’t exist and which has a very serious job to do really gets my back up. Fucking take it more seriously!Sali has wrapped some presents and is going home to her wardrobes full of designer clothes and cupboards full of free gifted products without sparing a real thought for how they are going to try and do their part to solve this. They have no clue how to campaign at all. All they know how to do is cosy up to companies to get free stuff. That’s it! What if we all woke up and Hygiene Poverty was magically solved tomorrow? Would Sali be thrilled or disappointed as she could no longer polish her halo and use her charity for her own selfish career and social climbing ends? 🤔

I really hate the the performativeness of Sali and Jo - patting each other on the back all the time for being such good eggs and devoting so much time to a selfless cause, all the while boosting their own status, profiles, reputations and career opportunities. Not to mention increasing their chances of getting on the New Year Honours list. If Sali is giddy about a vile monster like JRM giving her a shout out imagine how insufferable she’d be if she got an MBE (OBE? 🤷‍♀️ I’m not very up on all that useless shit) from Her Maj? I don’t think I could stand it tbh 🤣

Sorry for the very long rambly post btw. It’s 2:30am and I’m lying awake thinking how unfair the world is.

Exactly - you would want to give people nice basics like Body Shop or Dove or Sanctuary, high street name stuff that’s recognisable but also a bit nice or comes in a nice gift set. Of course that can’t happen because Wali and Jol don’t have the contacts. I’m sure there will be a percentage who do want arse-firming cream but I’m guessing that if you are in hygiene poverty a firm arse isn't top of the list ahead of shower gel and hand cream.
Hygiene Banks partnered with Soap & Glory last year (and Boots in general) which is a great fit. Nice products but not ridiculously priced. Sali is bezzies with Marcia Kilgore isn’t she? Couldn’t she have sorted something like that?

• Heart
Reactions: 62

notthefullshilling

Chatty Member
The vileness of lauding the mention by JRM because 'cross party support is rare'. When that party is responsible for the problem, when JRM has such utter disdain for the poor, when he has consistently voted to reduce spending on benefits, for the bedroom tax, to repeal the Human Rights Act, he is against same sex marriage, against abortion in all circs, said victims of Grenfell lacked common sense, has engaged with the far right on several occasions.
Being happy about people like JRM supporting BB lets them off the hook entirely - someone is dealing with it so no need for politicians to.
It would be such an opportunity for her to mention some of all this and go beyond charity (which yes, helps people but maintains status quo) to use her platform to try and target some of the outrageous politics that mean that Beauty Banks exists in the first place.
But no, gifs. My estimation of her couldn't sink further.

(Also, someone made a silly joke about whether he pronounced Sali correctly, and it whistles over her head, as per... Consistently astonished at her lack of a sense of humour.)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 60

Nonah

VIP Member
Have you all read Caitlin Moran’s article today in The Times? Actually starts off pretty good - more balanced than a lot of articles on the topic - though obv lots of bits I don’t agree with!
TL;DR - it was ok when I did it but now it’s shit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53

Missypissy

The vileness of lauding the mention by JRM because 'cross party support is rare'. When that party is responsible for the problem, when JRM has such utter disdain for the poor, when he has consistently voted to reduce spending on benefits, for the bedroom tax, to repeal the Human Rights Act, he is against same sex marriage, against abortion in all circs, said victims of Grenfell lacked common sense, has engaged with the far right on several occasions.
Being happy about people like JRM supporting BB lets them off the hook entirely - someone is dealing with it so no need for politicians to.
It would be such an opportunity for her to mention some of all this and go beyond charity (which yes, helps people but maintains status quo) to use her platform to try and target some of the outrageous politics that mean that Beauty Banks exists in the first place.
But no, gifs. My estimation of her couldn't sink further.

(Also, someone made a silly joke about whether he pronounced Sali correctly, and it whistles over her head, as per... Consistently astonished at her lack of a sense of humour.)
This 👆
When people are relying on charity for basic fucking human needs like staying clean because your party robs them of their dignity don't be thinking tweeting this shit goes any way to help.
Instead along comes She Here hopping aboard the praise train... making it so obvious that this has more to do with her ego than anything else. What a twitter wank fest.

• Heart
Reactions: 49

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I quote from it: 'Caitlin Moran, one of the site editors says: "Popbitch is devoted to being as amusingly vile as possible about the celebrities that loom over us all."'
Seriously? She always says she was just an anonymous poster.
Popbitch literally set the tone for online bitching about celebrities.
I am quite knocked sideways that one of Sali's best friends, who joined in the witch hunt of posters here, was a fucking editor of fucking Popbitch?

• Sad
Reactions: 45

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Regarding the 'courtface' thing and Sali's assertion that Nigella could not possibly be into class As because of her skin, hair, etc, I can't help but think Sali is super naive about wealthy people and class A drugs. Before anyone comes at me I'm not saying Nigella did/ didn't/ is/ isn't as I honestly have no clue but cocaine is pretty normal in wealthy circles and wealthy people can afford to look good, get their hair done, nice makeup, etc

What I'm trying to get at is that it's utter stupidity for her to imply that being into class A drugs must mean looking like one of those meth mug shots. Hell, people could be secret or highly functioning alcoholics/ addicts even with the most perfectly applied blusher in the world

Reactions: 44

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
I’m getting very annoyed about this classist dismissive “bored housewives” thing. So are the men on the other threads.
Jealous bored snarky women are not burning down cars/houses, doxxing people, making threats about telling employers, nor are they modelling clothes and make up publicly on the internet for cash and clout. If anything, being an influencer is the remit of the bored housewife with time to post to socials and make videos of themselves wearing ill fitting Hush clothes whilst their friends kids new single plays in the background.

• Heart
Reactions: 43

Disillusioned

VIP Member
thEy sLAnDEreD pRinCe!!

Wali saw his first gig in Minnesota in 1979, wearing just Chanel no 5 and her Brownies uniform. Fact.

• Haha
  • Wow

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I’m so glad we’re talking about BB again on here. It’s never quite sat right with me that these two rich privileged women are in charge of a charity that provides toiletries to people in severe need. What the fuck do they know about it, anyway? Have they any experience of poverty themselves? Have they missed school because they ran out of tampons? Have they had to go to a job interview with BO due to a lack of soap/deodorant? Of course it’s possible to empathise with people in that situation but they don’t actually understand it, not really (the stupid Bum Bum cream is a great example of this) and that’s my issue with BB.

Even the name is wrong imo. What’s Beauty got to do with tampons and sanitary towels? Or toothpaste or soap? That’s what people who are struggling need - the essentials. And what about men/boys? Hygiene applies to all, Beauty not as much. ‘Beauty products’ to me denotes something non-essential which helps us look better than before but Hygiene comes first, surely? Hygiene Banks was around first, maybe not by a long way, but it was. Then BB was created. WHY? They are so similar in name and purpose that surely Sali could have gotten involved with HB if she was that intent on making a difference? Instead she goes and sets up the same charity, essentially, potentially splitting the loyalty of people who donate. If you regularly donate to BB would you also to HB? Most people have a few charities they support and stick to. Wouldn’t it have been better to have one big Hygiene Poverty charity that is the one everyone knows and donates to? HB also partner with places like more affordable organisations such as Boots which is a much better match than Cult Beauty. Cult Beauty is only a good match for Sali.

It’s hard to voice any criticism of a charity without sounding like a massive dick and I’m glad people will be getting some nice presents this year thanks to BB. However, Sali and Jo’s silly childish dancing on social media and having to be front and centre of this charity which shouldn’t exist and which has a very serious job to do really gets my back up. Fucking take it more seriously!Sali has wrapped some presents and is going home to her wardrobes full of designer clothes and cupboards full of free gifted products without sparing a real thought for how they are going to try and do their part to solve this. They have no clue how to campaign at all. All they know how to do is cosy up to companies to get free stuff. That’s it! What if we all woke up and Hygiene Poverty was magically solved tomorrow? Would Sali be thrilled or disappointed as she could no longer polish her halo and use her charity for her own selfish career and social climbing ends? 🤔

I really hate the the performativeness of Sali and Jo - patting each other on the back all the time for being such good eggs and devoting so much time to a selfless cause, all the while boosting their own status, profiles, reputations and career opportunities. Not to mention increasing their chances of getting on the New Year Honours list. If Sali is giddy about a vile monster like JRM giving her a shout out imagine how insufferable she’d be if she got an MBE (OBE? 🤷‍♀️ I’m not very up on all that useless shit) from Her Maj? I don’t think I could stand it tbh 🤣

Sorry for the very long rambly post btw. It’s 2:30am and I’m lying awake thinking how unfair the world is.
Yes yes yes.
I lie awake too sometimes (always) angry at stuff.
It is the way we should just be unquestioning about charities, and feel like bastards for saying 'mm... yes but..'
So many things make me uneasy:
Beauty Banks website lifted entire passages and ideas from Hygiene Banks - I mean almost word for word.
The raising over £100k at the start of the first pandemic/lockdown saying it was for hygiene poverty - then switching tack to provide luxury items to NHS staff, some of whom were surgeons, doctors, who though doing a wonderful job were, let's face it, well paid (I'm sure BB still fulfilled their brief re poverty but it was a real unexplained gear change).
The lack of much obvious interest from Sali about her charity. I know she said posts on IG about BB get low engagement so she rarely does them :rolleyes: but it could run alongside more. She just seems to be the 'name', and wheels herself out for the more glamorous party type functions with her friends (the dancing through the glittery curtain is a particular low). An incredibly old fashioned way of running a charity, at arms length, the benevolent Lady Bountiful.
Sali witters on about it being a 'small team and we don't take a wage' but they have so many advantages not available to 100s of 1000s of other charities and community ventures. In the charity world they are relatively big hitters with their PR and industry connections. They aren't the little hick operation they like to appear.
Then the Rees Mogg stuff. Seriously. Sali and Jo both fucked that up badly. Showed their true colours there.

• Heart
  • Angry

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
She only came in with the "I can't stand him" thing after she had received condemnation and by which time the mask had already slipped. As if her personal feelings on the man were relevant anyway. All she had to say from the beginning was something like "while we appreciate the mention in parliament in regard to our charity, we also regret that such a charity needs to exist. [Insert relevant stat] of women and girls are living in hygiene poverty as a direct result of austerity measures implemented by the Tory party. We implore upon JRM and his co party colleagues to be mindful that many women and girls do not have access to dignity and basic human rights and ask them to explore the reasons as to how this happened and take steps to ensure this is not ongoing"

Not perfect I know, but then I'm not an expert content creator nor a PR expert like Jo Jones. Instead, she opted to take the route of self congratulatory celebration and exposed herself for the shallow person she is

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
The thing I probably take most exception to in the programme is DB describing here as 'an online campaign to end her career'. I can scarcely think of a less effective way to conduct a campaign than chatting with a couple of others in a quiet corner of the internet.

Hmm, let me think... what could be a more effective approach? Perhaps start by making critical comments to my thousands of Twitter followers and then have some high profile media mates adding their criticism....
I suspect Sali saw how easy it was for her to dislodge Lauren Luke, trial by social media and a campaign she orchestrated, so worries the same might happen to her.
It started by her saying how terrible LL was at her job. At times we have said the same about her. She is the one who sees that as a campaign, due to her own personal experience.
Guilty conscience?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41

Mselvista

VIP Member
So as well as work full-time, raise my children single handed and run a household on my own - all things Moran has zero experience of - I'm also supposed to be exposing/toppling rich powerful men in my spare time. She's such a joker, the absolute crud she churns out.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41

Wobblehead

VIP Member
Whilst I am in no way reducing what they do… I am not sure this is justified. Two over privileged women setting up a charity and giving their time for free.. where are the real champions … women living extremely rough lives, working minimum pay jobs, bringing up families also spending all their free time helping others and doing charitable work in their local communities. When I see articles like this I just think about all the media luvvies just scratching each other’s backs and it just diminishes the charitable work they do. I am not sure I am explaining it very well but I just can’t help feel smug coming out of this post.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 40