Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
The French manicure: On Point. By Sali Hughes

Beauty editors have long since been dismissive of the French manicure, a nail trend that was everywhere from the 80s to the early 00s. Since then it has been eclipsed by rainbow coloured diamond hard gels, decals and anything else in between. A French manicure has been deemed impossibly passè. Until now.

Over a year into the pandemic, we're all a little bit fragile, scared, and frankly, more than a little broken. Endless zoom calls and a lack of social outings in our diaries with our girls. We're all craving comfort and a decal seems impossibly fussy. Shellac is out of the question, the absence of which stings like the acetone required to remove it.

So we're going back to basics with a healthy baby pink and brilliant white tip. To be snobby about a French manicure is to miss a trick. As we emerge out of lockdown like a butterfly from a chrysalis, a French manicure gives the impression we've been healthful throughout lockdown and have not lagged behind on our calcium and vitamin d consumption, even if we were sodden in vodka.

A French manicure goes just as well with a khaki green jumpsuit as it does with a toffee caramel sweatshirt. The greatest 'tip' I can give you is the French manicure will be having a moment. You heard it here first

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42

Handynasty

I’m baffled by the moan about not getting a haircut. A few simple tips;
> book an appointment
> don’t insist on going to a hairdressers that’s 80 miles away from where you live
> pay for it maybe?

just a thought.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Also, get to fuck with this whole ‘you need to prepare yourselves to be seen by other people’. Feet are grim, yes, but can’t we just take our cloven hooves out into the wild after the hell of the past 15 months without them being another faux concern to worry about? Are men being told this too?

• Heart
Reactions: 36

MissHavisham

Chatty Member
It was niggling at me as to who she reminded me of when she had the glasses on...

sa.png

And then it clicked. Roz from Monsters Inc

Profile_-_Roz.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35

WinterSolstice

VIP Member
Hi all, just came here to say:

“Restore cheer”?

FUCK OFF!!!!

ETA:
The charity donation is 10p from £18?

FUCK OFF!!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Eurgh

VIP Member
Thinking about the column today, I've no idea who it's aimed at. Like, the target audience/ demographic of the Guardian are generally capable. If our feet are dry or cracked or whatever, we'll know how to sort it right if we want to right? I'm not expressing myself very well but the column is just so old hat now, I've no idea who it's for
What was it she said about Lauren Luke? If you know about beauty it teaches you nothing if you do it also teaches you nothing? Along those lines.

‘Lockdown feet that have barely been out the front step’. Um Sali who do you think has been packing your Ocado order or teaching your kids? Driving your trains to London and delivering your chilli pickle on a Friday? Fuck sake read the room.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 32

rosemarina

VIP Member
That latest one of Sali has really wound me up because she says “*I*have to be monitored for anaphylaxis risk” like it’s specific to her. Literally everybody has to wait 15 minutes before leaving. She’s so self-obsessed.

• Haha
Reactions: 31

WinterSolstice

VIP Member
OMGGGG my first thread title 😂😂😂😂 THRILLED

I’d like to thank [insert oscars style speech here] and most importantly @Disillusioned for spotting its potential, @The Dowager for setting it up, and all the lovely Tattlers on this thread for their wit, warmth, wisdom and ability to sniff out a wrong ‘un.

I tried to think of a message for Sal but couldn’t 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
She’s like those Hollywood actresses who order a burger and french fries when the interviewer from Vanity Fair comes along in order to prove they can eat what they want.

Babe, if you are really into beauty products and procedures, take endless selfies, work in beauty influencing, own a peloton and are over forty and a size 8 you cannot, cannot strongly insinuate that you gorge on carbs on the daily because you don’t.

It’s just mean because her gullible, trusting followers will think there’s something deficient in them that they do all the things she recommended - mainlining jersey royals and using peptololic oxbozxy acid and yet their foreheads aren't perfect glassy expanses and they can’t do up the button on their size 12 Hush camo pants.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Sali's lockdown appears to have consisted of lounge wear, jigsaws, pampering, zoom calls, Chilli Pickle take aways.
And she seems to assume everyone else was in the same boat.
She has been an awful commentator on covid. From a position of working from home anyway with an overinflated paypacket.
This matey 'we're all in this together' and all coming out of it with same mindframe is so bloody annoying.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Hello and welcome to another edition of snippy, snide Sali, featuring everyone's favourite journalist influencer, Sali Hughes.

Congratulations to @WinterSolstice for the thread title, and @Disillusioned for suggesting it, with a minor amendment as we can only say fuck off here and not in the thread title. Fuck off indeed!

Wiki is here, hopefully Well wikihow about that @Aude has done a sterling job, maybe Saint Sali the Sustainable could learn a thing or two.

Thread recap from #30:

- Hyped up the 'sold out' Becca undereye brightener, included it in her Cult Beauty Box, and then lo and behold it wasn't sold out after all
- The accounts for her Pretty Honest company were made publicly available at Companies House. Shilling appears to be quite profitable.
- She continues to write drivel and be enormously rude and snippy to anyone who asks her a question
- Thread users continue to demonstrate more knowledge of make-up and beauty than Sali has ever possessed, our generous in their time and efforts to help others, and are as funny as Sali is rude
- Also, she posted a collection of screenshots from people thanking her for their CB box, saying that it had 'made her month'. Of course it did, it was her payday and these idiots were thanking her for allowing her to give her their money*. It was so ridiculous I will be spoofing it on April 28th, and am already cringing at the horror of it.

Oh, and she is also still the teeniest weeniest woman to ever have lived, even though she eats carbs.

Please feel free to add to the recap!

*This sentence may not make sense, I'm on the red wine 💁‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Who is taking care of the caregiver?! The big fat pay cheques she gets from shilling are probably 'care' enough! Honestly, what nauseating nonsense

• Haha
Reactions: 27

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Shit, piss and John Niven in the space of 24 hours on this thread.

I feel like this is the one time that Sali can legitimately refer to here as a sewer :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 26

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Stories like yours? Being discussed on a niche site for influencers? Forget about the female politicians getting death threats on social media and that sort of thing, what happened to Sali is far worse

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 26