Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Leesar52

I appreciate this is a little wordy, so feel free to skim right past.
I've followed RVK for the last couple of years, and she reminds me an awful lot of myself (not the racists, repressed, braggy, child bride parts though!! That's just her).

I used social media a lot around 2010-2014. I had a blog in the early days of blogging, with a decent-ish following. Nothing major, and before anyone was making any real money from it, but a blog nonetheless. My entire blog and Instagram was Pinterest standard, pretty SLR photos of my happy marriage, perfect pinterest wedding, dreamy holidays, pretty house things, baking with my organic, farmers market ingredients (yes, I'm eye-rolling at myself too :rolleyes::rolleyes: ). All very twee and sickly sweet. Everything was dreamy and perfect.

Someone started to give me a whole heap of shit online. It was actually a friend of a friend, and I just wasn't cut out for that level of criticism. My Mum kept telling me that I should just stop posting online, simple, but I couldn't. My answer was always 'but I'm writing it for myself', 'it's to document my life and look back on', 'I like to make my space happy and positive'. The truth was, I literally couldn't stop posting. The 'troll' made me feel shit, but not being able to post my humble brag life made me feel infinitely shitter. I certainly didn't realise it at the time, but I was absolutely addicted to the validation from strangers and showing off how wonderful my life was to make myself feel better about myself and my life.

The truth is, my life behind those perfect photos was a complete shitshow. You really wouldn't have guessed it from my lovely online life, but I had zero self-esteem, my marriage was under huge pressure and falling to bits, and I always needed to next thing to post about as a 'pick-me-up'.

My whole life was starting to be consumed with staging things so they looked amazing. All those wonderful trips were actually ruined by having to drag a huge camera around (before phones had decent cameras) and trying to get the perfect photos. If it rained and ruined the photos, I would feel so much pressure that I'd fall to bits. I'd plan places to go, just for the photo opportunities and I'd waste half the day laying out ridiculous flat lays of picnic food that I couldn't really afford. I'd talk about how wonderful my husband was, when really a lot of the time we were so sick of each other. I ruined my own engagement by throwing a strop that it rained and the pictures wouldn't be right.

The crappier my life was, the worse I felt, and the more addicted I was to my own dreamy online life and the validation that came with it. I put myself under huge pressure and was taking wonderful trips almost every month just to post things that made me feel good about my life (certainly not the Maldives, mind you).

My husband booked us a wonderfully dreamy, romantic weekend away into he countryside (nothing romantic about it at all. He was probably sick of my shit but humoured me. I booked it having myself, having studied the most aesthetically pleasing room they had and ringing up 3 times to make sure I got the room with the nice wallpaper). We got there and I'd bought my camera and no lens and I basically had a meltdown and told my husband 'there's no point in even being here if I can't photograph it for my blog'.

My husband was sick of my shit, we fought a lot and grew apart, but I was so stubborn that I hung on to that marriage for dear life. Not because I wanted to be with him, but because I didn't want to have to admit online or to anyone else, that my perfect life wasn’t actually perfect. That was my main concern over anything. I raced though life,getting married and buying home at a really young age just so I felt like I was 'doing well' compared to other people my age and had some great blog content. I didn’t realise it at the time, and I honestly didn’t think that I was ‘living a lie. I just saw it as sharing the best bits; a highlights reel if you will. My entire life was a Pinterest-pretty lie.

In the end, I shut the whole thing down and never came back to ‘public’ social media or blogging. It was the best thing I ever did for my life and my mental health. Sometimes it rains, and my house is a mess, and I have nothing to brag about and I’ve never been happier.

It’s very clear now that it was a full blown addiction and a way of coping with, what I can see now, was clearly mental health issues and a lack of satisfaction with my own life and the reality of that. I was controlling the way everyone else saw me, it made me feel better about myself. My life was absolutely filled with the most impressive photos and holidays when I was the most unhappy.

I know that no one asked for my life story😂, and I sound like an absolute WANG, but as someone that has lived a version of her life, I can see SOOOO many red flags; Obsessively planning, staging everything, charging through life's big 'events' like a tick list, obsessed with 'perfect' weather, constant holidays, the repetition and trying to recreate past photos, massively oversharing and compromising safety for humble brags, just not being able stop taking photos or stop posting. It’s all there. She is not happy. She has an addiction and she's too stubborn to let go and get help.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 86

Skewbedu

VIP Member
Oh Grabby, now you want to be a poet? Yet every post is such a tiring word salad to disentangle:

Ah Grabby your endless begging grates
On those with much more on their plates.
We don't live with an odd child catcher,
Or like the brands throwing products at ya.

We don't drive for hours to stony shores,
To unpack pointless kits of s'mores,
We don't post albums of holiday spam,
Where all we've eaten is packet ham.

You had a baby I see, well done,
But honey you aren't the only one,
Just how many pics can we see
Of dear old Baby Bentos Bee?

Seeing granny for help, despite the regs,
No baby socks on corned beef legs.
No suncream or protecting hat,
Whilst posing as you beg for tat

And all the while you try and compete,
With salties on your giant feet,
For cheap mirrors, baskets, bugaboos
That expensive pram you never use,

Every post is set by pastel huts,
Or showing off your courgette gluts,
Your green sludge dinners are not a meal,
All smoke and mirrors - nothings real,

My husband may earn ten times less,
But I can afford a fitting dress.
Please stop behaving like a Stepford wife,
Go have a wine and enjoy your life.

There I've written you a poem, as you have suddenly come over all whimsical!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 68

Skewbedu

VIP Member
Ah the good old days before the tippex nails and courgette gluts. A better time, a more innocent time if you will. When we hadn't seen her nappy clad harris on t'internet and we were making brownies without her expert 'recipe' * advice.

When people still used the word Mum and apparently wore clothes that actually fitted and looked age appropriate!

*Rebeggar's stellar brownie recipe

You will need:
1) A car to drive you to Costco
2) A husband who earns 10 x more than yours, lady to pay at the checkout
3) the same cliché bastard kitchen/oven as every other instatwonk
4) a baking tray that may/maynot have been properly cleaned.

Method:
1)Take 15 pictures of kitchen from: near unsafe log burner, at one end of the island with a random selection of flowers that you have humble bragged about for days, of the sink with a bottle of [insert expensive brand's name] hand soap which you have actually refilled with Carex

2) open packet mix into bowl, take picture which includes a fannying F&M hamper somewhere in it.

3) add probably an egg or something, maybe a splash of water who knows, take a picture with some kind of cutesy measuring spoon set you were #prgifted when you could still be bothered to put an effort into content.

4) pour into a baking tray, I'm going to say you have lined with greaseproof paper and whack the whole shebang into the oven.

5) remove from oven after 50 minutes and take a further 870,854 sodding pictures.

6) once cool, add something game changing to the top like bircher museli, or some courgette pulp shit or a pot of some overpriced gloop

7) eat the whole lot whilst hiding from your child in case aforementioned child will get an attack of the vapours from smelling normal food.

Voila. C'est fini

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
What. A. Dick.

That patronising "sorry to everyone who couldnt travel but yeah....we used hand sanitizer so get ready for holiday spam because I'm spoilt brat who stomped about with my bottom lip out because it was windy at the last beach I went to with my stupid tealight smores so I wanted a real holiday"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

Willow1

Thread title: it's all smoke, mirrors and packet ham. Braved coronavirus again for the holiday spam

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42

UsernameLeah

She‘s got so many travel miles under her belt. There are people who have never left the country. Couldn’t she sit THIS ONE SINGLE YEAR out? And all the other white, middle class, vapid and bored bitches in the comments going on about “we’re DESPERATE to go away!” Is your daily life so freaking pointless and unhappy that you nurture this deep wish to escape from it all the time? Do you really travel for content because you’re unable to be interesting otherwise?

Look, I’m a work from home, childless, late 30s married woman living in the burbs. I don’t drive, can barely hold alcohol and don’t have a wide circle of friends. My life is boring as fuck, but I love my home comforts, my hobbies, my garden, my books + netflix and my pets. I travel abroad once a year, maximum, to visit countries I really want to get to know.

It’s not wanderlust if you’re heading to the same fucking beach (even if in different countries) over and over again, Rebecca. You’re just going for the grammable spots you think will induce envy, but let me tell you this: your beach pictures are boring. You’re not a good photographer and your family, yes, the lot of them, is homely and unphotogenic. I would say I hope you get Covid, but no, your neighbours don’t deserve to share the local convenience shops with biohazard.

Phew. Sorry about rant.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Hcird

Probs been driving around Brittany for the last week desperately searching for Bretagne. Mangetout Rodney, mangetout!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

Gossipqueen30

Chatty Member
Good god woman, get a f*cking grip!! “Married to his deadlines” 🙄 Benpecked literally does the bare minimum work. I’ve never, EVER known a man “work” as little as him, or be at home/schlepping off for staged photo shoots for the gram as much as him. Yet when he does actually have to do his 3 days a month of real work to earn 10x more than all our husbands Grabby goes to absolute pieces. Try being a SAHM to a toddler and a newborn, no childcare, with a husband who works away Monday - Friday hun, then come talk to me about “solo parenting” 🙄 Christ on a bike!!

Oh, and putting a heart filter over your porridge photo is fooling no-one. Those raspberries are not in a heart shape at all, because your husband is 38, not 10, and really doesn’t give a shit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
It’s a sign of the sheer boredom of her repetitive, shallow, immature existence.

I’ve just started 2 weeks leave. My first long stretch of holiday since March given I have been nursing through a pandemic.

I’m grateful for the break, time with my family, and the chance to cook and eat together. During Covid I’ve hardly seen my children.

clearly we aren’t going abroad, in fact we aren’t going anywhere. But I am just looking forward to rest.

I’m grateful for this break, and certainly not worried about today’s weather let alone Winter. I genuinely believe she has an altered state of priority because she doesn’t live a full, busy life.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

HashtagRealTalk

VERY REAL FEAR OF AUTUMN AND WINTER guyssssss....
Real fear of what exactly?

The increased ratio of rainy days to sunny ones that occur during autumn and winter months because it turns out she isn’t living her Courtney-Adamo-best-life in Australia and she actually lives in the outskirts of Watford...?

The decision to go away on an exotic, envy-inducing Winter escape(s) to gain content and dreamy Vitamin Sea, but then risk follower backlash for unnecessary travel and have to “brave Coronavirus” all over again?

Lockdown happening again which means that Pinterest planned French getaway to “somewhere like the Isle de Re but in the North of France accessible by car”....now may no longer happen...?

Maybe it’s because “parenting in Winter is ten times harder than in Summer” and she now forsees visions of herself spending days aimlessly wandering Whipsnade zoo in the torrential rain for the 3rd time in November trying to entertain Freya....or worse still having to succumb to buying her something from {whispers and shudders} FISHER PRICE...?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Skewbedu

VIP Member
I picture her and The Suffolk Nest, phones in hand like a Mexican standoff, to see who will give in and post first. Thus endeth 'much needed family time'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

pinkrobot

VIP Member
We were right! Maybe we didn’t guess Italy BUT we know she didn’t share it until she was home/on her way home in case the Government slapped a quarantine on people coming back from there. Meaning she couldn’t share pics of walks, seeing family, dreamy days out for 2 weeks or be busted doing them. Because we all know she wouldn’t have observed quarantine!!!

Never in the history of #rvklovestotravel 🤮 has she not shared every single nauseating detail of her holiday while there. Airplane mode my arse. All that moaning about long days, Benpecked being married to his deadlines and she knew (unlike most of the country) she had an overseas holiday a few days away. How do all those idiots who are posting gushing comments not see what a spoilt princess she is.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 31