Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

InkHeart

Chatty Member
Rolf Harris was a beloved entertainer from the 1950s, in his native Australia, in the UK and around the world. He was an acclaimed painter, a tv presenter and released several chart-topping songs.

On 30th June 2014, Harris was found guilty of 12 counts of sexual assault against young women and underage girls. In the aftermath of his conviction, several more came forward to alleged that he had sexually assaulted them, including Vanessa Feltz and Linda Nolan, who was 15 at the time. Harris was sentenced to 5 years and 9 months in prison, but only served three years.

For the past few years, he has been housebound with throat and neck cancer. In May 2023, it was reported that a private ambulance was seen outside his home, leading some to speculate that (as of 12th May) he is already dead. On 16th May (this Tuesday) ITVX will air a documentary called Rolf Harris: Hiding in Plain sight.

It seems like there will be a lot to talk about in the coming weeks, so I'm setting up a thread.

Reactions: 35

L3moning

VIP Member
To quote Johnny Rotten when Malcolm McClaren died:

You're not meant to speak ill of the dead. But he was a cunt.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Jusa

VIP Member
I've mentioned this before either on a Secret Celebrity Gossip or Jimmy Savile thread, I can't remember which as it was some time ago.

Anyway, I always used to like Rolf, especially on the animal programme he used to do, so I was really surprised when a friend told me that he was a pweirdo. Her parents' best friend was a London black cab driver, and he told them what Rolf was like years before any of it became public.

My friend told me this in the early 2000s

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 31

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
A theatre friend once told me that Rolf, when performing at a local theatre about twenty or so years ago, allegedly earned himself a nickname for something he got caught doing in his dressing room with one of the late-teen girls working on the show.

He was known as Rolf 'Tit Wank' Harris.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 30

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I think Rolf is dead. I reckon he died on Thursday. His daughter won't want to make an announcement until he's safely cremated and his ashes are dispersed (into the nearest wheelie bin if I had my way). She must have gone through hell when her dad was on trial, finding out he had sexually abused her best friend for years, from childhood into her teens. Hopefully now her dad is in hell, where he truly belongs.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 30

L3moning

VIP Member
Rolf Harris may well be guilty of sexual assault, inappropriate sexual contact with his daughter's friend
Wasn't said friend very young at the time? Like under 10? That definitely qualifies as child abuse, regardless of any other excuses you might make.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
It’s amazing that people become National Treasures for saying words in front of a camera that have been written for them. Or singing songs. As a society we are nutty!

Reactions: 27
Bill Oddie is a wrong ‘un, I reckon. He was on a panel show years ago and there was a question about biggest regrets. His was that he couldn’t shag any of his 14 year old daughter’s friends or something along that lines.

I hope his daughter’s friends’ parents were watching too.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 26

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
I find it really depressing that quite a lot of the celebs we grew up with in the 70’s/80’s have turned out to be abusers of some kind. It’s like the industry attracts that sort of people, possibly because they were ’stars’ they could get away with doing what they wanted as a blind eye was taken or people were afraid to come forward as they would be sacked etc.. I’m trying to think of the Stars back then that hopefully weren’t that way inclined. So here’s my list (unless anyone has tea on them also 🫤)

Terry Wogan
Des O’connor
Les Dennis
Russ Abbott
Tony Blackburn
Noel Edmunds
I'd add Tony Hart to the Good Guys list. A proper childhood hero of mine whom I haven't heard anything negative about.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

shellie

VIP Member
There’s only one reason a private ambulance would be outside his house, so yes I think he’s died too.

It’s quite shocking that he was yet another one as he always came over like he was a genuine nice guy. My late Mum and Dad use to see him occasionally at antique fairs in Kent with his wife and my Dad said he was really friendly to talk to. Just goes to show 😕

Saville on the other hand, God, even as a kid watching Jim’ll fix it he gave off creepy vibes. I can’t beleive the scale of the cover up for him, from the BBC to the NHS! Beyond disgraceful. Also always wondered why the hell people in government would hand him the keys to Broadmore of all places!
I wanted to apply for Jim'll Fix It and my mum was fine with it but my nana said there was no way in hell it was happening. She wouldn't say why to me but pretty soon after, my mum started agreeing with her. I wanted to meet Take That and so I was mad about it. After I started watching to see what was so that bad that they didn't want me going on it, I finally realized how handy he was with the females and twigged something wasn't right. I went to her and she told me all the stories that had been going around about him since the 60s so when the truth first started trickling out it wasn't that much of a surprise but as time went on and the stories of him going into the morgues for hours at a time came out, even she was shocked at how sick he was.

We were watching a rerun of Animal Hospital not long after and Rolf had his arms around a young girl whose dog was being put down. My radar started to go off as he was a little too familiar with her and I said to my family that I wouldn't be surprised if he was gonna be found out at some point. I was laughed at and told that not everyone was like Saville but there was just something about what I saw and having experience with that kind of thing had me knowing I was right about him so I was the only one not surprised when it came out.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
What these awful men did resonates with so many women. I hope I'm wrong but it often feels that the majority of women of a certain age have been assaulted or abused in some way, usually as children/young women. When I was in my mid teens I was assaulted by a consultant during an examination for headaches and then by a much older male colleague when I had a summer job in a factory. It took me many years to recognise that I had actually been assaulted. I didn't report either as I accepted it at the time as something that "just happened". I really do hope that all these historic cases coming to light has helped change things.
I totally get what you are saying. I was abused by my stepfather from age 6. Then as a young adult by someone I trusted and almost in plain sight of family I was with. It was discovered about step dad but it was late 70s so brushed under the carpet. By the time the family friend had assaulted me I had become numb and felt it was my fault anyway. I never reported him and feel so guilty to this day that there may have been more girls after me. These women that came forward are so so brave. I was terrified of reporting a no body so I can imagine how much more terrifying to report a well known and well loved celebrity. Was a heartbreaking programme to watch. My love goes out to all you who have sadly been a victim to these sick disgusting men xxxxxxx
---
Also thought just add I have drummed into my 3 girls that if anyone ever did anything like this to them I will believe them. I don’t care who it is my children will be believed and protected. My mother didn’t do that for me

• Heart

FicklePhuker

It’s amazing that people become National Treasures for saying words in front of a camera that have been written for them. Or singing songs. As a society we are nutty!
It’s why I like my dog more than most humans.
Animals would never choose the most stupid, or inadequate.. to be the leader of the pack.
But look what we choose to follow!

• Heart

InkHeart

Chatty Member
The word paedophile has become a catch word for any sexual activity on a child under the age of consent, but I've read it is a term for abuse of a pre pubescent child, I can't remember the name for those who pray on post pubescent children though. So I know what you mean.
Either way they are filthy scum that don't deserve to breathe the same air as other people. Well, imho they don't deserve to be able to breathe at all.
Tbh I really don't like making this distinction, even though I realise it's a technical term.
I was sexually abused at 11, when I had already gone through puberty and looked more like I was 13 or 14. That doesn't mean that what happened to me was less important or traumatising than if it had happened to another 11 year old who was flat chested and 4'8''. But that's a belief that is quite pervasive, sadly.

• Heart
Reactions: 24

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
With Rolf he seemed a kind of friendly fun guy, total contrast to Savile as I don’t remember anyone saying they always thought there was something “off” about him. It’s all too easy to write off pedalos as weirdo freaks who raise your hackles up, whereas we’ve got Rolf (possibly Phil S as well) with a good few years in kids tv, much loved, then all of a sudden - it all comes out- you can’t always tell.

evie1975

VIP Member
He wrote a letter from prison which contained song lyrics that were highly abusive towards his female accusers. He was victim blaming. Showed no remorse.

• Wow
  • Sick

Dizzy

VIP Member
What these awful men did resonates with so many women. I hope I'm wrong but it often feels that the majority of women of a certain age have been assaulted or abused in some way, usually as children/young women. When I was in my mid teens I was assaulted by a consultant during an examination for headaches and then by a much older male colleague when I had a summer job in a factory. It took me many years to recognise that I had actually been assaulted. I didn't report either as I accepted it at the time as something that "just happened". I really do hope that all these historic cases coming to light has helped change things.

• Heart
  • Sad