Relocating to the USA

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My partner has got an opportunity to work in the US, and we are in the very early stages of our discussions about this.
I just wondered if anyone from the UK has made the decision to move from the UK to the US, and how they are finding it?
The one main thing that worries me is the stories of the shootings at the school there. I have a little boy who's nearly 2 and the thought of him going to school already worries me, let alone with guns in the mix!
Obviously I also have family who I will miss, but I do see this as a good opportunity. I suppose I would just like some good advice, tips and honest experiences.
Thanks in advance! X

I moved to the states when I first graduated uni for a job contract. I decided to move back to Europe when my contract finished rather than take the offer to continue. Partly because I wanted to do a masters and not get saddled with loads of debt and partly because I was young and preferred life in Europe. Maybe it was just the state (PA) I was in but everyone my age seemed preoccupied with getting married by their mid 20s and I wasn’t ready to settle down.

One of the big things is making sure your husbands job has good medical coverage for your family. You really can’t underestimate how expensive the states is if you become unwell. My job did have decent coverage but I saw some friends get burnt with medical bills.

The lifestyle you can expect will really depend on where you are located. It can be a big change depending on where you are.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Where are you considering moving to? I moved to the US in 2004 and it was a massive culture shock from London. After living here for almost 20 years, I would never move to the south or the Midwest, and that definitely has to do with politics, weather, and gun culture.