Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mrspowell

VIP Member
This world terrifies me. One of my neighbours and school mum friend her husband has an 17 year old son. He’s semi pro footballer with trials for Barcelona (or something similar) coming up, opportunity of a life time. A confident, handsome popular lad. Met some friends at the park to play some footy, group of Youthes aged 13-15 come over to him & stab him. 2pm. With a massive knife. Airlifted to London, intensive care, 6 hour operation, they said he is lucky to be alive it missed a main artery by a cm. Knife went in passed the kidney and right into the chest to give some scale. Obviously the kids fled the scene, when the police arrested the suspect the next day guess what he had… a knife! So hed stabbed one lad and gone straight back out with a knife. 15 years old. In one of the ‘nicest places to live in the uk’. Can’t even blame being in a underprivileged area. My friends poor son is now too scared to leave the house, too weak to play football has missed his once in a lifetime chance to sign with a premiership team. His life in tatters. Dad is so angry he’s been banned from the trial. The lad who did it is having identity protected, laughing in court knowing he will do no time at all. I’m terrified for my children to grow up.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 51

Treesy19

VIP Member
I would usually say not much shocks me anymore, I read that many cases and watch that many docus. But thinking of an elderly man in his scooter down an alleyway being attacked by a knifeman in broad daylight, that’s just stunned me and made me feel queasy. What a despicable piece of shit doing that.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 47

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
This is unimaginable horror for the parents and my heart goes out to them, but is anyone else a little surprised at their comments? Presumably there must have been strong enough (independent) evidence as to her medical condition at the time of the crash for the jury to accept the insanity defence? Yet clearly the parents believe she is to blame.
She is to blame though. It’s her fault their baby is dead. She’s had a defence to the criminal offence but the bottom line is that her actions caused the death of their child. I’m not the slightest bit surprised at their comments, they’re living their sentence since the moment it happened. Unimaginable pain that will never go away.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 44

Calicali

Chatty Member
Horrible news from Tallaght Dublin Today.

not a lot of information released as of yet but them poor children 💔
It was the brother that done it. He is gay and was disowned by his family. He attacked 5 of his siblings and killed three, the youngest is around 10months.
He slit their throats and threw one out an upstairs window. Their neighbours have said he was heard singing . Horrific

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 40

50sGirl

VIP Member
Also depending on the woman’s dementia she may not have capacity but I guess if that was the case she wouldn’t have been at the trial
My mother has recently been diagnosed with dementia.
We have taken her car keys off her. She is very angry about it.
We told her that she isn’t safe to drive now and how would she feel if she killed a child? I may as well have said ”how would you feel if you killed a fly?” for all the emotional response I got.
I wouldn’t have understood it if I hadn’t seen it for myself.
I should think this lady is now incapable of feeling remorse. It’s a cruel disease.
Where were her family in all this?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

Blurp

VIP Member
I wonder if she sensed that something was off at the time? I'd be the same. Even if my gut was screaming no, I've been too conditioned to be compliant to police officers/ nice to men and I would definitely have got in the car too. Breaks my heart about her mum wanting to scream every night, you can completely feel her heartache. I will be making sure that my daughters know about this case when they are older.
Years before this, I used to work as police staff for a national agency. My boss, who had originally been employed by a different force than me, said that in his first few days of training they were told that police officers could tell if a member of the public was or had been police staff because they spoke to officers differently, more normally and perhaps less deferentially.

The Met always was a byword for arrogance and being confrontational, even among other forces including amongst senior officers - I've heard plenty of the comments about them. I had one, by a Chief Constable, bitterly repeated to me by a Met officer - that they were "too confrontational" to be deployed with other officers.

Following the Sarah Everard case arrest, Police Scotland immediately put into place a procedure where someone stopped by a police officer, on duty or off, is put in touch with the Control Room and an incident number generated so there is a record. Several other forces did similar. I don't know what changes the Met made.

The reports coming out regarding strip searches of minors are appalling. 650 children were strip searches in London between 2018 and 2020. In a fifth of cases, the record keeping by the Met was so bad that there wasn't even a note of where the search occurred. 58% were of black boys and in 23% no appropriate adult was present.

Likewise, it seems that at least every week there is a news report about yet another male Met officer on criminal charges re sexual assault, sexism, etc. There is something very, very wrong indeed with their recruitment and training as well as with the force culture.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 36

teddy19

VIP Member
So the story that was mentioned in the previous thread about a "sex game gone wrong" where former rugby player Ricky Bibey died of a heart attack. Has now turned into "he brutally beat her up". And he had history for it.

Can’t believe they got it so wrong initially and actually published it

Karma for him suffering a heart attack after beating her!

Reactions: 35

50sGirl

VIP Member
It’s been so long since she was seen and the report says two arrested for murder and three for kidnap. She looks so sad and defeated 😔
I don’t understand why her disappearance has had so little press coverage.
I abhor it when people use “the race card” but in this instance I think it’s valid - if she was a pretty white woman I’m sure the press would have been all over it. 😣

• Sad

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I feel like so many things in this country need a big overhaul but no one is brave enough to do it. With regards to crime, we need tougher sentences and prison needs to be tough. There doesn’t seem to be a real deterrent around.
Maybe I’m just getting older, but it does feel like society is deteriorating with regards to crime and anti-social behaviour. Police cuts means that petty crime is basically decriminalised. Police and societal misogyny means that rape and sexual assault is basically decriminalised. Vulnerable people murdered in broad daylight. It’s making me yearn to move to a sleepy little village where nothing ever happens.

I even think the media has a part to play. A few towns away from me, a teenage boy who had been riding a motorcycle underage late at night and disturbing neighbours ended up crashing and died. Of course he didn’t deserve to die, but any criticism of the kid’s anti-social behaviour (and parents for allowing it) on social media just isn’t allowed. If I could erase the phrase “be kind” from all existence I would. What he was doing was literally an accident waiting to happen. Even the local media headline was “Boy killed just minutes after leaving home on motorbike”.

Which rather suggests that he was an innocent victim caught up in a collision with another vehicle, rather than a kid who shouldn’t have been out riding recklessly and allegedly not wearing a helmet.

Why is it now so taboo to report things truthfully/critically? I guess media reporting standards prioritise not upsetting the families?

• Heart

Eureka

VIP Member
Lewis Haines was sentenced for life with a minimum term of 23 years. The starting point was 30 years due to the judges belief there was a sexual element. He would have got a deduction for pleading guilty but not sure what else reduced it to 23 years.

Her poor mother had 14 miscarriages and Lily was her only child.

He killed her because she wouldn’t have sex with him 😡 I’m so sick of the entitlement of men and the way they lash out at women when they don’t get what they want. How many more women have to die.

Her poor mum, to lose your only baby in this way is awful 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 34

Octopies

Chatty Member
Oh for sure. Had he not have murdered Sarah (or been caught), his other crimes would have been covered up - his mates were looking out for him.

Not to go full conspiracy theorist but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a long history of offences that were either covered up or never found out about. His actions leading up to Sarah’s murder, and then the kidnap itself make me think he might have been used to getting away with such things and never expected to be caught.
The Met is absolutely rotten to the core. And probably other forces too that are flying under the radar. I’m sure there are great officers about. But the Sarah Everard case plus the other disgusting things that have come out about the Met have probably shaken a generations trust in the police.

I know personally (and am not a Londoner so a bit distanced from it) I definitely think differently of the police after all this.

I keep thinking about the fact that Sarah went with him, compliantly. And I would have absolutely done the same. And I think most women would have. I know covid rules were a factor but even aside from that - how many women in the heat of the moment would challenge a male police officer? I would have absolutely met the same fate as Sarah. What a sick abuse of position. 🤢

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Wowitsme

VIP Member
I'd hope that she might try and get something out of him, or tell him he'll never see her or the children again.
Also closure, no one can imagine being married having children and that man you trusted and love being found to be a murderer. I feel like it may be controversial but she lost a husband and the father to her children so is also suffering a loss and how in hell do you explain to your children.

Reactions: 33

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
So called “paedophile hunters” aren’t helpful. In fact, a lot of the time they do more harm than good. At times they encourage the offending. They have jeopardised ongoing investigations and trials and ended up committing crimes themselves during their “hunting”. It’s very naive to think that their actions always come from a good place and that they are upstanding members of the community.

Individuals who commit crimes against children and other vulnerable people are scum of the earth. I don’t believe they can be rehabilitated and I believe they should face the maximum possible legal punishments. The justice system needs an overhaul in this regard.

As for comparing people who sexually prey on children to homosexuals and looking for sympathy, I don’t even know where do begin. That’s absolutely disgusting and extremely problematic 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 32

SDM

Someone I known on my Facebook is from that area and said she has another child, I believe just a baby? The father of her two eldest children died a few years ago. The brother who did it was at a house party before he came to the house, there is some speculation he was on something beforehand.
The father of her younger children died too. My heart aches for this woman. There are just no words 😢.
[/QUOTE]
The mother had 3 children named Cash from her first marriage. Andy the killer aged 24, a daughter called Margaret aged 22 who has a baby son David, and Lisa, 18 who died. Their father died when Lisa was only a baby.
The mother then had 3 more kids with a second partner named Cauley, Mikey aged 14 and then the twins aged 8. That partner died in 2014 when the twins were only 4 months old. The only baby is the eldest daughters son, he is the mother of the victims grandson not son. I don't know the family so this discussion on the motive behind it is all speculation and hearsay I've seen online ( stating just so my post won't jeopardise the trial)...but Andy the oldest (and the killer) was a very camp gay which is a bit ostracised in the traveller community and he was also on bail for burglary and other petty crimes and just generally causing trouble.
The family (apart from the oldest sister Margaret who had a semi good relationship with him and was not living in the family home anymore since she'd married) had kind of cut him off & he wasnt allowed in the family home in recent years as he was very aggressive and argumentative and also perhaps shame over his gay persona which as I said is frowned upon for travellers.

That night he was at a house party in clondalkin where his mother also was, and everyone was off their face and he apparently rowed with his mother and then in anger/revenge or some type of psychotic episode due to drink and/or drugs got in a taxi armed with a machete and broke into the family home where he knew Lisa was babysitting the 3 younger kids and attacked them all. I reckon it was to get at the mother and just plain jealousy that he was the family outcast and the other kids weren't.

I just will never understand whatever anger he harboured, how on earth he could direct it at innocent 8 year old kids who had no control over whether he was disowned or not by the family or treated badly as he perceived it by the mother. It was nothing to do with the poor kids.

• Sad
Reactions: 31

Be More Pacific

VIP Member
Someone put this on Mumsnet in relation to Lucy Letsby.
Hmm. I would take this with a HUGE pinch of salt. My mum worked there for 35+ years in maternity care and one of her good friends actually worked with LL on occasion (she was interviewed by the police numerous times about her and is very likely to be called to give evidence) and this is the first I've heard of this.

And as for people knowing she was killing babies and no one doing anything, except furiously writing a few things down? Come on, that's just fucking ludicrous.

Last edited:
  • Heart

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Reading about Thomas O'Halloran, the 87 year old man who got stabbed to death in his mobility scooter has really upset me.

• Sad
  • Heart

Tofino

VIP Member
Lewis Haines was sentenced for life with a minimum term of 23 years. The starting point was 30 years due to the judges belief there was a sexual element. He would have got a deduction for pleading guilty but not sure what else reduced it to 23 years.

Her poor mother had 14 miscarriages and Lily was her only child.

• Sad
  • Heart

shadowcat5

VIP Member
The Sarah everard case still rocks me to the core. If there was ever a supporting case for the death penalty her killer is one. I can’t even say his name. God bless her and her family. I can’t even imagine the fear she went through. It makes me catch my breath

• Sad
  • Heart

Tofino

VIP Member
I just watched Killer at the Crime Scene on 5Star, about 17 year old Ellie Gould killed by her (ex)boyfriend 17 year old Thomas Griffiths. They think she was ending the relationship and he lashed out, strangled her then stabbed her in the neck but left her to appear like suicide (hand on knife).

The programme talks through with family and police on what happened and how they caught her killer. But towards the end they talk about her mum’s campaigning for Ellie’s Law, which I hadn’t heard about, but has already been successful. So now youth offenders are sentenced on a sliding scale towards adult sentencing depending on their age at the time of the crime, rather than it being the same for all under 18s (he was 5 months off 18 but the old law meant he got the lower sentence, a minimum of 12.5yrs which would also be the same for a 10 year old!) Now Ellie’s law would sentence him to 90% of the adult minimum as he was so close to age 18.

Something I didn’t know which is shocking, and her mum is continuing to campaign for, is that if the murderer didn’t take a weapon to the scene of a killing but used something already there (e.g. domestic killing, like a kitchen knife) the minimum tarriff is 15 years but if you take a weapon with you to the scene (so from your house on to the street) the minimum term is 25 years - that 10 year difference is huge!! I feel like it minimises domestic murders which we know is statisticallly more likely to be women being killed by men. So I hope they get that law changed too.

• Heart
  • Wow