Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Glortard

VIP Member
Wow - really?

Can you give an example of where you have seen/experienced this?
It was prevalent in the 50's and 60s

Pambo

Following up, trying to find data on interracial violence and homicide doesn’t seem as easy to uncover in 2023 as it was 2016.

This data is from the Office for National Statistics report on Homicide in England and Wales: year ending March 2021, section 10, Appendix tables: homicide in England and Wales, table 30:

2023-04-30.png

On the face of it, you can declare that white homicide is overwhelming committed by white perpetrators.

The per capita figures, however, reveal a different story.

Referring to the 2021 England & Wales Census, there is a population of 48.7 million whites and 2.4 million blacks. That means for every million in the white population, 11.6 are likely to kill another white person and 0.6 to kill a black person. For every million people in the black population 18.3 are likely to kill a white person and 38.3 to kill a black person (67% of black homicides are committed by black murderers according to the figures). That means a white person is almost 31 times more likely to be killed by a black person, as a black person is to be killed by a white person.

See also Statista’s Homicide Rates in England and Wales 2011-2021 By Ethnicity:

England-and-Wales-homicide-rates-by-ethnicity-2022-Statista.png

Those figures give no indication of a racial element in the murder, purely homicide figures based on the race of the victim and the race of the victim’s convicted suspect.

greenvelvet

VIP Member
RE the Halfon quote above - I am quite annoyed by this because I largely agree with this: “What is needed is a tailor-made approach to local funding and investment in early years and family hubs. This should be alongside more vocational opportunities, a skills-based curriculum and a commitment to addressing low participation in higher education.”

But it is so insidious to attribute the low access rates of white working class children to higher education and skilled training opportunities to anti-white racism. I am absolutely exhausted so sorry if this is garbled.

IMO, the main reason white working class children’s continuation rates are lower than their non-white counterparts’ is that non-white people live mostly in London and other big cities - vocational and educational opportunities in rural areas and under-serviced towns (where most white working class people live) are sorely lacking. The level of opportunity for people in big cities just massively outweighs what is available in other areas. There are so many bodies oriented around London, whether they are charities or businesses or universities or other educational bodies (including many state-funded initiatives), than can provide subsidised or free training opportunities to young people and connect with them generally - and well-paying jobs for when they leave education (which itself is a huge motivation to pursue training). It’s still not enough for everyone, but it is much more than is available elsewhere, and generally higher-quality too.

This comes back down to a systematic underfunding of public services & educational opportunities and a lack of a proper plan and action to develop industries in areas outside of London and other big cities. It has nothing to do with racism. When he says, “Never again should we lazily put the gap down to poverty alone, given that we know free school meal eligible pupils from other ethnic groups consistently out perform their White British peers”, he is implying that reverse racism is the reason why this is happening and it just isn’t. The impact on white working class children is a consequence of the government’s under-investment and disorganisation in areas where white working class people live.

The fact is, the Conservative government is too incompetent, or just doesn’t want, to develop the infrastructure needed to improve prospects in underdeveloped parts of the UK.

There is more to this, such as how the circumstances that led to the above have impacted attitudes and understanding of pursuing further education (to massively oversimplify it, families rooted in towns with long-obliterated industries compared to low-income economic migrants to big cities & their descendants) but this is already take-the-piss long.

Lady_H

VIP Member
Blind auditioning increased the number of women in orchestras for example, which meant the reason they were more than likely being not selected before was not due to their talent.
Actually that’s not true - later analysis of the data has concluded that this study wasn’t statistically significant, and actually didn’t demonstrate that women were helped by blind auditions. The research was misread and over-hyped by authors such as Malcolm Gladwell as a way of proving that blind hiring processes helped women, but actually the study was completely inconclusive.

daydreamer95

VIP Member
Language has been used to dehumanise words can be more than words that’s why imo nobody should tolerate or be grateful about being targeted in any way including being called names

I don’t think it helps to minimise the experience of some people because others face worse

Ingognito.Queen

VIP Member
The anti irish catholic racism still exists to this day here but thankfully its improved since the time we had no irish, no blacks, no dogs signs on the like of boarding houses.
Wow - really?

Can you give an example of where you have seen/experienced this?

monga

VIP Member
Is bullying racism? Did Bilkszto get attacked because he was white or because of his views? I don't think someone should be subjected to bullying because of their views no matter what they are but he wasn't oppressed just because he was white. According to his opinion, there is less racism in Canada than in the US. Which is a bit odd to bring this opinion without the use of statistics and datas or the lived experience of being subjected to racism in those two countries. It feels a bit like mansplaining. But I think he shouldn't have been labeled "white supremacist" by the DEI trainer and it shouldn't have been used by his colleagues to bully him. The question is more about why people think that bullying someone is an acceptable behaviour? Do people feel better about themselves to pintpoint someone they think is the exemple to not follow (enhanced by the labelling)? Sadly more than 70% of Canadians have experienced harassment at work. It does seem to be a big issue and a common practice in Canada. I do hope it will be investigated.

On the question of racism in itself, the divisions around it are stronger in the US than Canada - but it doesn't prevent Canada to have his fair share of issues - notably the treatment of children from indigenous communities, forcibly separated from their parents and and this lasted until 1998.

@thegirlscout
I agree that many places around the world are not as advanced on questionning interracial relationships and the related racism or the traffic of humans. But I am not sure it's the best thing to minimise the topic by saying that the others don't care/don't want to look into it. I feel like we should be proud to have this reflective thinking on our attitudes, current and past. It doesn't undermine our own identity, it just brings more nuances and context. I think it's a healthier view on History to recognize the problems of the past and their repercussions than celebrating a fabricated narrative. I also agree that the West's reflection on its own past is used as a tool to deflect their own internal issues by some governments but it doesn't change that some events from the past have been wrong on many levels. I believe in the idea that not knowing our own history is the best way to repeat past mistakes and create more injustice. We can see in many places around the world how the belief that some people are superior to others because of their skin colour/ethnie/religion still create miserable situations.
Ideal worlds don’t exist!