Race Across the World (BBC)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Back tonight this time in Canada. I only watched the second series but did really enjoy it - it was airing just as Covid was coming in so made me desperate to travel again! Hoping it will be as good just set in one country.

Reactions: 16
I can't wait, I love it. Watched both series but second was the best so far

Reactions: 7
Another fave for me to catch up on. I also really curious about how this show is filmed

Reactions: 5
Not too bad for a first episode. I didn't think I'd warm to them at first but started to more as it went on. Canada looks pretty but really dull culture wise.

Reactions: 9
Another fave for me to catch up on. I also really curious about how this show is filmed
curious in what sense? i believe they have 1/2 producers/runners with each pair from what i’ve gathered of previous series from their instagrams if that helps

Reactions: 2
Not too bad for a first episode. I didn't think I'd warm to them at first but started to more as it went on. Canada looks pretty but really dull culture wise.
Yeah, it’s all about the scenery. I was due to go to the Vancouver Island area in 2020, but covid put the kibosh on that! Yet to rebook.

Finding a few of them irritatingso far.

Like Ladi, and the Asian husband. Not keen on the daughter and the wife respectively. I am hoping the fearful brother becomes more positive and confident. The two middle aged ladies are the stoic types.

Reactions: 6
I love it, but am curious how real it all is and how much is scripted/pre set up

Reactions: 1
I love to know how they pick the contestants for the show. Also that father and daughter spent so much on taxi and blown quite alot of their budget. Like it looks as if they did not even try to find people on the boat to give them a lift. Not sure who I am going for at the moment. I liked the father who washed the bus.

Reactions: 8
I think my favourites so far are the two women and possibly the two brothers.

One of the things (amongst many) that annoys me about this show is how much emphasis is put on where you are in the race and yet the production can make that invalid (the fact they all ended up on the ferry together being an example already).

Anyone remember in series 2 Jen and Rob having nearly a 4hr lead, being made to leave the hotel only just to have to wait 4hrs for the first bus out of their and Jamal and his uncle rocking up all refreshed and getting on?

I know that you are tied by timetables but surely thought should be given to the checkpoint locations, no sense for them to be stuck on an island with one way in and out.

And as for those women being stuck in Vancouver park for hours, it’s pretty much in the middle of the city with 1000s of people and major routes running through it 🙄

Can’t see this being as good as 1 and 2, no language barriers, no currency issues or really cultural issues to overcome.

Just realised I said I wouldnt rant…

• Haha
Reactions: 12
So glad it’s back i was in the edge of my seat at the end of the last series it was so close!

Canada looks beautiful but wish there was a language barrier this time it makes it more challenging/interesting

Reactions: 7
I lived in Canada for 2 years, and the lack of public transport (when you're not in a city) is very frustrating, as they discovered.

For those that are saying about a lack of a language barrier, in Quebec, the main language is French, admittedly tho a lot of the Quebecois can also speak English.

Reactions: 4
I lived in Canada for 2 years, and the lack of public transport (when you're not in a city) is very frustrating, as they discovered.

For those that are saying about a lack of a language barrier, in Quebec, the main language is French, admittedly tho a lot of the Quebecois can also speak English.
The lack of public transport though showed us a whole new culture of lift sharing and that's a good thing, but then on places like Vancouver Island it's probably safer - there'd be the trust and safety element in play, and if you were a lone traveller, maybe not so great?

I was wondering what you call residents of Quebec, so thank you. What's the betting that they encounter people , like you sometimes do in Paris, who can speak English, but really really really make you attempt French?

Reactions: 4
The lack of public transport though showed us a whole new culture of lift sharing and that's a good thing, but then on places like Vancouver Island it's probably safer - there'd be the trust and safety element in play, and if you were a lone traveller, maybe not so great?

I was wondering what you call residents of Quebec, so thank you. What's the betting that they encounter people , like you sometimes do in Paris, who can speak English, but really really really make you attempt French?
Yes, that wouldn't surprise me if that happens in Quebec.

I'm Nova Scotia they sound Irish when they talk, but I'm not sure if that's a province they'll be travelling through.

Reactions: 1
I enjoyed the first episode. I wonder why they’ve chosen two father and daughter duos

The edit killed the suspense and the idea they were 'racing', seemed almost like a travel show in places.

I think this first leg was more about their various expenditures and some earned income, to show their different approaches, it was never going to be much of a race to start with given the check point and the possibilities open to them.

The father and daughter teams seem to have fairly fractured relationships, or at least some friction between them and it's seen as an opportunity to strengthen or rebuild them, as opposed to the couples who have good bonds, like the two friends, Cathie and Tricia.