Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Ponponpon

VIP Member
I really like this show, I'm rather gripped. Michael Sheen is completely stealing the show for me.

Ah thank you! Missed that. I might watch the first one again actually as my kids were rudely interrupting me lol
If it wasn't for those pesky kids šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 2

SweetPerdita

They didn't, in real life they never had a dog. It did say at the start of each episode that it wasn't completely factually accurate. Apparently they had a cat, not sure if anything happened to that or not, but they never had a dog.

The mini series was based on a West End play of the same name, which is where the weird Tarrant to camera bit on the end originates from - the audience in the theatre were asked to vote at the end on whether they thought the Ingrams were guilty or not. Im not sure if the shot dog was invented for the play and so kept in for the TV version, or was only invented for this TV version. But either way ITV should be ashamed, for showing something so emotive, but which never happened at all.
Do you have a source for that? The Ingram family have been talking about the attacks on their pets for nearly 15 years, and have been consistent in stating that both their cat and their dog were attacked. The cat was shot but survived. The dog was kicked and had stones thrown at it, and later died of injuries. The TV series just slightly conflated both attacks into one. The Ingrams are clearly dodgy but I really can't believe they'd force their young children to lie and pretend to be sad about a non-existent dead dog, and surely the vet named in the articles or other locals would have outed them if they'd made up the dog attack? SOURCE

ā€œQuizā€ was very sympathetic towards the Ingrams - I wasn't at all surprised to find out that they actually met with the producers while it was being filmed!! So it sounds to me like they had some sort of influence with the way it was made, ending in the question of whether they were guilty or not.
The Ingrams visited the set once long after the scripts had been completed, because the writer has a policy that whenever he writes about real people, everyone he writes about is invited to meet him and visit the set. Every single person portrayed in it was invited. A person who was heavily involved and who actually did influence the scripts was Paul Smith, the CEO of Celador and original producer of WWTBAM, and the man most convinced of the Ingrams' guilt. The writer worked with Smith to develop Quiz and he was able to suggest additions and changes to the script. For example the scene where Paul Smith meets the head of the Syndicate (in real life named the Consortium) in a pub happened in real life and it's actually something that happened as a result of the TV show being made. The programme makers researched the Consortium which sparked Paul Smith's interest in them, and he asked the Quiz production team to put him in contact with Paddy Spooner, had the pub meeting shown in episode 3, then went back and told the writer all about it so he turned it into a scene!

The intention of the original stage play was to have two acts showing both events twice, the first act portrayed events from the POV of them being guilty and showed all the evidence for the prosecution, and the second half portrayed the same events from the POV of them being innocent and showed the evidence for the defence. The stage play was designed to question concepts of bias and objective reality and black and white thinking, and the Ingram case was just a convenient tool to use as a medium for those issues. The writer said he chose the Ingram case because it was a relatively lightweight (meaning no one got hurt) case that polarised the nation. And the writer also said even today he's not sure whether they're definitely guilty or not.

Personally I don't think adapting the play for TV worked all that well, because theatre can do metaphorical high-brow stuff where ostensibly it's about a man on a game show but really it's a philosophical debate about neuroscience and truth and la-da-la, and theatre audiences can more readily accept that they're watching the same events from two different perspectives. TV is more naturalistic by design and people expect a TV show about real life events to be a straight forward docu-drama, which this was never supposed to be. They tried to impose the "two halves" format, where the second episode was supposed to be the 'guilty' episode and the third the 'innocent' episode but it just confused viewers who didn't realise it was intentional and couldn't figure out why the third episode was defending them after the second had so clearly shown them as guilty.

ZLT123

Thought Chris tarragon actor was brilliant! Also fancied major ingram, so rather disappointed to see in real life heā€™s a dull worm of a man. Was so sad the dog got shot :(

• Haha

Dizzy

VIP Member
I have the final one to watch tonight but I am loving it. Michael Sheen is yet again knocking it out of the park. He is just the best at taking on famous people. Also lots of love to Matthew MacFadyen who is such an underrated actor IMO. If anyone has seen Succession - he steals the show in that.

Gillybean42

VIP Member
My dad tried loads to get on that show! No wonder he never succeeded as he wasnā€™t part of the cheaters šŸ˜‚

• Haha

101d

VIP Member
Michael Sheen was very good. Everyone else seemed really bad at acting though, I donā€™t know if it was some sort of weird vibe they was going for.

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I love Michael Sheen so Iā€™m watching for him, he really has gripped me. I was too young to remember this scandal the first time around, but itā€™s good!

Reactions: 1

Orange Creme

VIP Member
Yes in the first episode, the brother in law gets given a number to call from another contestant. Itā€™s a guy who runs a quiz group with links all over the country and claims he can help get him on the show and stuff, for a fee if I remember rightly.
Ah thank you! Missed that. I might watch the first one again actually as my kids were rudely interrupting me lol

coconochanel

VIP Member
i really enjoyed it..i remember him winning but had no idea both his wife and BIL had already taken part and the teams of quiz experts helping each other . looking forward to the other episodes
Really enjoyed this tonight. No I didn't know his wife and BIL had also been on and won money.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I feel like I've missed something! Were there morn involved then? I noticed the fastest finger first contestants were whispering answers and the previous night it was mentioned that everyone in the panel were white, middle class and from the south ...
Yes in the first episode, the brother in law gets given a number to call from another contestant. Itā€™s a guy who runs a quiz group with links all over the country and claims he can help get him on the show and stuff, for a fee if I remember rightly.

cushtybert

VIP Member
This has been so good to watch, I had no idea all this stuff went on!!!! What about the First Lady who won the million, was she part of this quiz gang as well?

Web30

VIP Member
Had no idea that's how the phone as friend worked. They just rang them at home!! Watching this with my parents as as kid we always thought they were in a hotel room out the way!

orangelolly

Chatty Member
Has anyone else being surprised at how easy it seems to be to get on the show? I've never applied to be on a quiz show but I always thought they'd be inundated with applications.

Orange Creme

VIP Member
Michael Sheen stealing the show, heā€™s amazing in this.

I remember watching WWTBAM with my parents of an evening, so finding this drama to be a real nostalgia trip. Canā€™t wait for the final episode tomorrow night! I remember this all kicking off and hearing about how he won it because of someone in the audience coughing or something, but I didnā€™t realise the brother in law and wife had been on the show previously nor did I know about that quiz syndicate group thing, interesting stuff.
I feel like I've missed something! Were there morn involved then? I noticed the fastest finger first contestants were whispering answers and the previous night it was mentioned that everyone in the panel were white, middle class and from the south ...

Horatio

VIP Member
Do you have a source for that? The Ingram family have been talking about the attacks on their pets for nearly 15 years, and have been consistent in stating that both their cat and their dog were attacked. The cat was shot but survived. The dog was kicked and had stones thrown at it, and later died of injuries. The TV series just slightly conflated both attacks into one. The Ingrams are clearly dodgy but I really can't believe they'd force their young children to lie and pretend to be sad about a non-existent dead dog, and surely the vet named in the articles or other locals would have outed them if they'd made up the dog attack? SOURCE

The Ingrams visited the set once long after the scripts had been completed, because the writer has a policy that whenever he writes about real people, everyone he writes about is invited to meet him and visit the set. Every single person portrayed in it was invited. A person who was heavily involved and who actually did influence the scripts was Paul Smith, the CEO of Celador and original producer of WWTBAM, and the man most convinced of the Ingrams' guilt. The writer worked with Smith to develop Quiz and he was able to suggest additions and changes to the script. For example the scene where Paul Smith meets the head of the Syndicate (in real life named the Consortium) in a pub happened in real life and it's actually something that happened as a result of the TV show being made. The programme makers researched the Consortium which sparked Paul Smith's interest in them, and he asked the Quiz production team to put him in contact with Paddy Spooner, had the pub meeting shown in episode 3, then went back and told the writer all about it so he turned it into a scene!

The intention of the original stage play was to have two acts showing both events twice, the first act portrayed events from the POV of them being guilty and showed all the evidence for the prosecution, and the second half portrayed the same events from the POV of them being innocent and showed the evidence for the defence. The stage play was designed to question concepts of bias and objective reality and black and white thinking, and the Ingram case was just a convenient tool to use as a medium for those issues. The writer said he chose the Ingram case because it was a relatively lightweight (meaning no one got hurt) case that polarised the nation. And the writer also said even today he's not sure whether they're definitely guilty or not.

Personally I don't think adapting the play for TV worked all that well, because theatre can do metaphorical high-brow stuff where ostensibly it's about a man on a game show but really it's a philosophical debate about neuroscience and truth and la-da-la, and theatre audiences can more readily accept that they're watching the same events from two different perspectives. TV is more naturalistic by design and people expect a TV show about real life events to be a straight forward docu-drama, which this was never supposed to be. They tried to impose the "two halves" format, where the second episode was supposed to be the 'guilty' episode and the third the 'innocent' episode but it just confused viewers who didn't realise it was intentional and couldn't figure out why the third episode was defending them after the second had so clearly shown them as guilty.
Wow, this was a great post, really interesting stuff I knew nothing about, thanks ! I definitely didnā€™t pick up on those ideas at all. Which is a shame because itā€™s really interesting and i donā€™t think it would be too hard to do well on tv - it just needed more emphasis that that was happening. Like there could have been a slate saying ā€˜guiltyā€™ and ā€˜not guiltyā€™ before respective episodes and as the same thing played out you would realise. I donā€™t think that style is alien to tv at all - ever since sliding doors the parallel universe concept has been done to death . This isnā€™t far off that.

Actually in general I felt what most let the show down was how uneven the tone was. It would feel like a straightforward drama for a long time then some absurd comedic moment would throw you completely and feel really out of place. The paddy spooner stuff is interesting but the way it was portrayed and the actor was just ODD. Felt like it was from a different show. So itā€™s not surprising to me the themes didnā€™t work either. They were too subtle and there was no narrative direction.
I still thought it was really good and I enjoyed it a lot, but it had the potential to be truly thought provoking I now realise from your post and itā€™s a shame it couldnā€™t achieve that.

Side note - the ITV office scenes were filmed at my work place ,ITN -where ITV news is made,. So it is relatively tho not particularly necessarily accurate. But I donā€™t known if the people involved in that show were based there, ITV have a few sites...
However my building is actually the first shot of the entire show. That was a surprise. I had no idea. I donā€™t work for ITV, ITN sounds similar but itā€™s a different company all together so it didnā€™t even occur to me before watching. I guess they shot those bits at the weekend.

Last edited: