Quitting Smoking!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been an on/ off smoker for years and have been off them a week now. I love smoking, especially in summer but I can't get away with it forever so enough is enough. The cost and impact on health and skin is going to take its toll if I don't stop.

Am pretty proud of getting through the weekend without smoking including my usual smoking triggers of sunny days sitting in the park.

Please share your quitting smoking stories so I don't feel so alone!

Reactions: 8
Hi, I've quit and started again many times. My latest attempt was January and so far so good, although I'm using a vape so not exactly sure if that counts as quitting. I was initially using a high strength nicotine liquid 18mg, but it was making me feel really ill. Currently using 3mg, no sickness and tbh I don't use my vape much anymore. I'm sitting down to a coffee now and will puff until I've finished and then get on with my day. I have noticed I'm doing more steps daily and not out of breath like I was when smoking or coughing at night. I was a heavy smoker though, easily 20 a day. I don't miss it but in the past I really did which is why I always went back, the only thing I've done differently this time is vape.
I'm afraid I have no pearls of wisdom but this is my experience.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
That's brilliant, well done!

So glad to hear you've noted the physical changes too, so encouraging.

I have some Niquitin lozenges and they're helping

Reactions: 1
That's brilliant, well done!

So glad to hear you've noted the physical changes too, so encouraging.

I have some Niquitin lozenges and they're helping
Excellent, did you sign up to the NHS quit programme, I can't remember what it's called. I did it before but unfortunately gave up, they give you a variety of nicotine substitutes, the little pipe thing was quite useful as it gave you something to do with your hands. Apologies if you're not in the UK.

I gave up around 10 years ago, I'd smoked since schooldays, from nicking the odd cig from my mother to spending pocket money on a 10 pack with my pals.
I smoked for around 25 years.
On a holiday about 11 years ago I'd been smoking a lot and got a real bad chest infection, I could not walk 5 paces without losing my breath.
This was the scare I needed, it had taken this to get me to realise I was killing myself, no doubt about it.
E-cigs were fairly new and I got myself one of the cigarette-style ones, haven't looked back.
I still vape now, I found the E-cig a great help.
Good luck OP šŸ‘

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I quit nearly 5 years ago and I canā€™t give you any magic solution I just decided one day I was sick of it and wanted to use the money for better things and had my last cigarette the next day. I remember reading somewhere that it takes more effort to smoke than not smoke so always kept that in mind and ā€œnot even one puffā€. Good luck šŸ¤žšŸ»

• Heart
I've found cold turkey was the best. It just frees you of everything and no dependence on any substitutes. I'd do really well for ages and then similar to you, the sunny beer garden days would come and I'd give in again.

I just vape now and that seems a pretty good alternative however is very addictive in itself.. I;m now working on vaping less and eventually nothing at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Woke up one day and said I wasnā€™t going to smoke again.

Never smoked since

• Heart
I quit smoking cigarettes in 2016 (though I do vape, so I havenā€™t quit nicotine!!) I was on/off quitting for years, and then I re-trained into beauty and didnā€™t want to stink of cigarette smoke when I was working with clients. So Iā€™d vape when I was working, and smoke in the evening. One day I just decided to stick to vaping and havenā€™t gone back. The key is to find the right vape for you - I found the small pen sized ones werenā€™t giving me the ā€œhitā€ feeling in my throat (if that makes sense!! Sounds a bit sexual sorry šŸ˜‚) Anyway, I got a good vape and weaned myself down the nicotine levels and now am at 6mg liquids, but I canā€™t seem to drop down further!

• Heart
Bumping this thread, I stopped smoking on Thursday. I've been vaping since using a vape pen thing with nic salt eliquid. It's so much smoother than the regular type, I've tried to give up cigarettes a few times but always ended up going back or only really cutting down to a few.

Ideally I'd like to kick the nicotine all together but cold turkey has never worked for me when I tried before so hoping this is the way I can do it.

Any one else on the same path or managing without at the moment? I said to myself I will not buy another packet of cigarettes and it definitely seems to be sticking, even had a few drinks today!

I quit smoking in 2017 but have had a vape ever since and am just as addicted to that sadly. I wish Iā€™d just gone cold Turkey but hey ho šŸ¤£
I used to buy fags when I was drinking but since they stopped doing the click ones I havenā€™t bothered

I quit smoking in 2017 but have had a vape ever since and am just as addicted to that sadly. I wish Iā€™d just gone cold Turkey but hey ho šŸ¤£
I used to buy fags when I was drinking but since they stopped doing the click ones I havenā€™t bothered
Do you find vaping is more socially acceptable? I hated myself for smoking and would only really do it standing outside my back door on my own or beer gardens with fellow smokers. I've recently moved and want to make a fresh start and new habits.. plus save money for doing up my new house!

Loved the click cigarettes šŸ˜‚ I think that was a major turning point for me wanting to kick the habit. It's taken a while though to find a way to make it

I've quit for extended periods a few times, once for 13 years, never used nicotine substitutes as I wasn't nicotine dependent, it was the routine of smoking that was my problem, had to change my route to work to avoid the lighting up points. This time I will have been smokefree for 3 years in September but consider myself not smoking at the moment rather than an ex smoker. If I had a terminal illness I'd probably start smoking again as I quite enjoy it but hate the lingering stale smoke smell.

This timeline might be helpful - https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/lifestyle-advice/stop-smoking-timeline#24-hours

I quit smoking in 2007 and haven't smoked since. Unfortunately for me, it was too late and I suffer from COPD. My lifestyle is limited and my health is deteriorating (I will have to have supplemental oxygen at some point) - if you can give up, do so.
Future health is a huge driver for me to stop, plus money and now I find it quite anti social compared to when I started it was quite a social thing to do. I'm sorry you are experiencing that, how long did you smoke for, what age did you quit? if you don't mind me asking. I am 33 and started when I was 18 and have smoked regularly since, probably average 10 a day sometimes less , sometimes more (when drinking)

Future health is a huge driver for me to stop, plus money and now I find it quite anti social compared to when I started it was quite a social thing to do. I'm sorry you are experiencing that, how long did you smoke for, what age did you quit? if you don't mind me asking. I am 33 and started when I was 18 and have smoked regularly since, probably average 10 a day sometimes less , sometimes more (when drinking)
I started smoking when I was 17/18 - probably smoked 20 a day for 30 years (quit when I was 50) - and it was a social thing to do, and I did go to the pub a lot! We never consider future health properly - if I didn't have this condition I would be very healthy but side effects are causing additional issues - I am allergic to inhaled steroids and they cause additional health issues (e.g. muscle cramps, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). I gave up a couple of times, the first time I was hypnotised but that 'wore off' (house move stress), then I tried patches - but in the end cold turkey worked.

Edit to say that my life is fairly OK - I won't see Machu Pichu and some other bucket list stuff - but I'm still working in a job I love and, COVID permitting, have plans for the future.

Last edited:
I smoked for 15 years and vaped for around five years. Around six eeeks ago my vape pen completely broke and that was that. I snacked a lot and it took around two weeks to get rid of that craving for nicotine but after that fortnight it was pretty easy.

I have cut down, just been given some Zyban by the drs as champix is sparse at the moment
Starting it Mondayā€¦ anyone else tried it?

I smoked for 15 years and vaped for around five years. Around six eeeks ago my vape pen completely broke and that was that. I snacked a lot and it took around two weeks to get rid of that craving for nicotine but after that fortnight it was pretty easy.
Agree with this - set aside two weeks to overeat and feel sorry for yourself and after that it will be OK.

Reactions: 3
Do you find vaping is more socially acceptable? I hated myself for smoking and would only really do it standing outside my back door on my own or beer gardens with fellow smokers. I've recently moved and want to make a fresh start and new habits.. plus save money for doing up my new house!

Loved the click cigarettes šŸ˜‚ I think that was a major turning point for me wanting to kick the habit. It's taken a while though to find a way to make it
100% more socially acceptable! At least it doesnā€™t smell so the non smokers never complain. I deffo couldnā€™t have given up smoking without the vape butttt Iā€™d like to give that up tooā€¦ one day šŸ˜… plus Iā€™ve saved a fortune. I couldnā€™t go back to spending what I was on fags!