Problems at new job

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi Guys!

got a bit of a dilemma at work and thought I’d reach out here to see if anyone’s been through something similar / has any advice for me! :) sorry for the essay!

so for 6+ years now I’ve worked in the telecoms industry as a project manager, a year ago I started working for a UK mobile operator but as the programme I was working on was short term I recently started a new role in another area of the business.

the new area of the business is brand new and my role is now ‘demand management’ so not really PM at all. I didn’t mind that but im into my third month now and don’t think the team I’ve joined have any clue what they want doing or how they want to work.

as they’re a fairly new team I didn’t have any training or handover from anyone, I was given a list of roles and responsibilities that I began working through and chipping away at, following a recent chat with my manager I created a prioritisation list of my workload and got him to approve/OK it.

then today he messages me and seems frustrated that I hadn’t worked on something that was not on the agreed list. I responded and said that I was working to the agreed list from 2 weeks ago but can change things around if he needs me to.

Would I be right to sit him down and be honest about how the team needs more structure? It’s like they don’t know if they’re coming or going and that makes my job really difficult. It’s starting to make me doubt myself and ask myself if it’s me completely missing the mark and wondering if I’m not right person for the job. I don’t want to be micromanaged but is a little guidance too out of line to ask for?

Reactions: 1
Trust me you are not the problem. Been there done that and totally understand what your are saying and going through. The current culture is so ingrained in the business that it would be impossible to correct unless everyone is made redundant and new staff rehired in a structured environment. It will never improve. You will be pushing crap uphill, getting stressed out, for what? In my opinion, stay quite and look for another job.

Reactions: 2