Pregnancy and Parenting Stories

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't have kids but am interested to hear people's positive and negative pregnancy and parenting experiences!

Pregnancy:

positives-
I ate better and was a lot healthier as I had someone else that was feeding off what I ate
I liked my baby bump (for the first time ever I wasn’t self conscious about my body)
Feeling your baby move/kick is an amazing feeling
Scans and just hearing good news back to something you’re constantly worried about
Planning for your little human being, people usually feel excitement towards the end of the pregnancy as you’re closer to meeting your baby

negatives-
Morning sickness
Feeling tired all the time
Getting out of breath quickly
Feeling lazier as you don’t have as much energy
Doctors appointments for me because I was classed as a “high risk pregnancy” which meant a lot of check ups which was sometimes a bit of hassle coming out of work

Parenting:

positives-
Having a baby has made me more considerate to others
You become less selfish as everything is about them
It’s a challenge but a good challenge, one that is very rewarding
You hit all their milestones with them, most of which you have helped them learn (for example, walking)
Every time they’re happy, you are. Seeing their smile makes your day a whole lot brighter
You learn things about yourself
You become more patient and understanding

negatives-
It’s non-stop, you never really get a break
It can be mentally challenging at times
You are sometimes left with postpartum depression
They take up a lot of time which means less time for yourself and the things you want to do
You won’t sleep like you did before
You need to stay calm, even when your child isn’t

Luckily I had an amazing pregnancy and a good birth which I’m forever grateful for. My daughter is now 11 months old and I enjoy everyday with her. She’s teething at the moment so wakes up about 5 times in the night but I wouldn’t change it for the world. I sometimes see these stories online about parents getting angry with their children and hurting them or refusing to take care of them and it makes me sick, I’d do anything for my daughter and all (good) parents would say the same. I thought a child would be physically challenging but it’s much more mentally challenging. I found at times I doubted myself as a mother over such small things that were out of my control. Sometimes you just have to watch your baby sleep and think to yourself how you created something so perfect. I will forever be grateful for my daughter and I feel like she was the gift I needed in life to experience the happiness I have with her 💗

Reactions: 3
Not exactly a pregnancy story but one that makes me laugh.. years ago I was told I was pregnant by a hospital consultant when I was still a virgin. I’d had surgery on an ovary 2 months beforehand and 2 weeks before being (incorrectly) told I was pregnant I had started watching Jane The Virgin so Lord knows my brain went straight to “oh my gosh they artificially inseminated me while I was under general anaesthetic” instead of the more logical explanation that the test was showing a false positive

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Pregnancy:

positives: I was extremely lucky to gave a very healthy low risk pregnancy with my first.
Currently pregnant with second and it’s going as well (fingers crossed it stays this way).
Very active, no nauseas, I dont tend to become big until 7/8 months.
I am probably one of those annoying people but recognise i am super lucky in this.

negatives: food to avoid, no alcohol.
Hiding the first three months.
Mentally i was very worried about possible health problems of the baby (I worry lots)

Reactions: 1
Pregnancy positives:
.I was getting a beautiful baby
.everyone said I looked great, I invested in a nice maternity wardrobe

Negatives:-
.Sickness, so much sickness
.Tiredness
.My nails peeled away from their nail beds, not a common symptom but a symptom nonetheless
.Pregnancy related carpal tunnel syndrome, my hands literally didn’t work
.More mucus in the back of my throat than I knew how to deal with, caused more sickness
.struggled to drink liquid, don’t know how I wasn’t dehydrated
.i felt like I smelled ALL the time, don’t think I did my sense of smell had just become super sensitive
.my feet went up a whole shoe size and even then I could only wear wide fit

There’s probably more, you just forget really quickly! But you name it, during pregnancy I had it.

Totally worth it though!

Pregnancy:

positives: I was extremely lucky to gave a very healthy low risk pregnancy with my first.
Currently pregnant with second and it’s going as well (fingers crossed it stays this way).
Very active, no nauseas, I dont tend to become big until 7/8 months.
I am probably one of those annoying people but recognise i am super lucky in this.

negatives: food to avoid, no alcohol.
Hiding the first three months.
Mentally i was very worried about possible health problems of the baby (I worry lots)
I would struggle with that a lot. I am a big worrier/hypochondriac.

I used to be firmly childfree (by choice) but am wavering now and more open to having a baby. It is nice to see people's stories. I have endometriosis and just had surgery to remove it so I am wondering if part of my choice to be CF was deep down more the worry of fertility issues.

I have an almost 4 year old and 33 weeks pregnant.
Positives about pregnancy:
You get away with things because of being pregnant.
You can eat chocolate cake without too much guilt.
As you can tell I'm not one of those who enjoy being pregnant...

Negatives about pregnancy:
Aches and pains
No alcohol and to avoid certain foods
Exhaustion but difficulty sleeping
Pre and post natal anxiety and depression
Constant need to wee
Worrying about movements
Just the effort of everything.

The first 3-4 months with a baby were really difficult for me.
Parenting is really difficult and you have hardly any time to yourself. But it is also rewarding. The stuff that comes out of my daughter's mouth. She is just amazing.
A complete pain in the arse but an amazing one.

It's just basically 24/7 job that you don't get paid for. And your boss tells you many times how they're not going to be your best friend anymore because you said they can't have an ice cream.
But they also give you hugs for no reason and give you stickers because you're the best mum or because you've been SO GOOD today.

I was not the most maternal of people, but ended up having 4. Ranging from 1 to 14.

Pregnancy:
Positives:
I got the curves I wanted when I became pregnant in my early 20s, I was a beanpole and suddenly blessed with hips.
My hair grew quickly.
I didnt feel negative about my body in any way.
People are much more considerate towards you.
The excitement.

Negatives:
Definately the sickness, mine lasted the textbook 3 months, for all four of mine. I saw the inside of a toilet more than anything.else. I had to be hospitalized a few times for dehydration.
Tiredness, it is unlike nothing you have experienced before. Especially the first and last weeks.
Body image, although this was fine in my 20s when I had 3 of my kids practically one after the other, my body seemed to bounce back, 10 years on I went to have my 4th child in my mid 30s, I am struggling with my weight and my body left in a bad way in terms of stretch mark's, loose skin, this is more my post partum body than pregnancy but I'm sure it counts.
People thinking I was public property, ie people I barely knew stroking my bump and dodgy, often sexual comments from strange men.

Parenting itself the positives?

I have mini mes, yes albeit it boy versions but I find it so fascinating picking out tiny different traits of mine in them. I think they are the most beautiful people on earth.
You get to experience life through a completely different perspective, your life just completely changes overnight and you just adapt.
The unconditional love, you certainly will not feel lonely, especially as they are growing up.
A certain wholeness I cannot describe.
You learn alot, you wont realise you are but you will learn new things every day.
Life has more structure.

Negatives:
The constant anxiety. It is always there, my oldest son is 14 and my heart is constantly on pins.
You always have extra to carry, extra to concider, things are no more spur of the moment.
Judgement from others/unwanted advice - more prevalent in pregnancy and the early years.
The amount of dirt and mess.

Last edited:
Pregnancy:

positives-
I ate better and was a lot healthier as I had someone else that was feeding off what I ate
I liked my baby bump (for the first time ever I wasn’t self conscious about my body)
Feeling your baby move/kick is an amazing feeling
Scans and just hearing good news back to something you’re constantly worried about
Planning for your little human being, people usually feel excitement towards the end of the pregnancy as you’re closer to meeting your baby

negatives-
Morning sickness
Feeling tired all the time
Getting out of breath quickly
Feeling lazier as you don’t have as much energy
Doctors appointments for me because I was classed as a “high risk pregnancy” which meant a lot of check ups which was sometimes a bit of hassle coming out of work

Parenting:

positives-
Having a baby has made me more considerate to others
You become less selfish as everything is about them
It’s a challenge but a good challenge, one that is very rewarding
You hit all their milestones with them, most of which you have helped them learn (for example, walking)
Every time they’re happy, you are. Seeing their smile makes your day a whole lot brighter
You learn things about yourself
You become more patient and understanding

negatives-
It’s non-stop, you never really get a break
It can be mentally challenging at times
You are sometimes left with postpartum depression
They take up a lot of time which means less time for yourself and the things you want to do
You won’t sleep like you did before
You need to stay calm, even when your child isn’t

Luckily I had an amazing pregnancy and a good birth which I’m forever grateful for. My daughter is now 11 months old and I enjoy everyday with her. She’s teething at the moment so wakes up about 5 times in the night but I wouldn’t change it for the world. I sometimes see these stories online about parents getting angry with their children and hurting them or refusing to take care of them and it makes me sick, I’d do anything for my daughter and all (good) parents would say the same. I thought a child would be physically challenging but it’s much more mentally challenging. I found at times I doubted myself as a mother over such small things that were out of my control. Sometimes you just have to watch your baby sleep and think to yourself how you created something so perfect. I will forever be grateful for my daughter and I feel like she was the gift I needed in life to experience the happiness I have with her 💗
This is why I think I shouldn’t have a baby... because when I see those stories (mothers with PND who snap and harm the baby and themselves) I honestly feel so much sympathy towards them. I feel this is something that could very feasibly happen to me too. Of course I don’t mean neglectful arseholes who just can’t be bothered.