Pre booked holiday and new job

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Very much a red flag when a new employee think they are entitled to time off because they’ve booked a holiday. 99% of companies won’t just say “no” if they don’t have a good reason. Our business for example don’t allow anybody time off in December because we shut for two weeks over Xmas

Reactions: 2
Very much a red flag when a new employee think they are entitled to time off because they’ve booked a holiday. 99% of companies won’t just say “no” if they don’t have a good reason. Our business for example don’t allow anybody time off in December because we shut for two weeks over Xmas
I’m sorry but I 100% don’t deserve to be called a red flag. When I accepted the job offered I then included the dates. I don’t start till April, I could of waited until my first day to go “oh by the way”

I’m sorry but I 100% don’t deserve to be called a red flag. When I accepted the job offered I then included the dates. I don’t start till April, I could of waited until my first day to go “oh by the way”

I don’t need to go into details but my employer has actually apologised that she didn’t ask me, said I haven’t not caused any issue and understands why I needed to know a yes or no. If it was a no I would of put the holiday back.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It’s not a red flag at all. I worked in high volume recruitment for a time and whenever I offered a job, I would ask if they had any holidays that we would always honour. I’m self employed now but I’ve never ever worked anywhere that didn’t honour booked holidays for new employees. The right time to mention it is definitely when you’ve been offered the job, not at the interview - that would be very odd! Really not sure what some people expect you to do, not apply for jobs then because you’ve booked a holiday? 😂 bizarre.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
It’s not a red flag at all. I worked in high volume recruitment for a time and whenever I offered a job, I would ask if they had any holidays that we would always honour. I’m self employed now but I’ve never ever worked anywhere that didn’t honour booked holidays for new employees. The right time to mention it is definitely when you’ve been offered the job, not at the interview - that would be very odd! Really not sure what some people expect you to do, not apply for jobs then because you’ve booked a holiday? 😂 bizarre.
I agree most places will honour it if they can but it's that she thinks it's her right to take the time even if they say no. That is entitlement and a red flag. I guess this is where the employee decide what is more important, their job or their holiday. We rarely say no to holidays but when we do and somebody reacts like her then it is a red flag

Reactions: 1
I agree most places will honour it if they can but it's that she thinks it's her right to take the time even if they say no. That is entitlement and a red flag. I guess this is where the employee decide what is more important, their job or their holiday. We rarely say no to holidays but when we do and somebody reacts like her then it is a red flag
I think you can reasonably assume that if you’re not asked about holiday in advance, and you have to offer your dates without being questioned for them, that they will be honoured 🤷🏻‍♀️ when someone has paid for a holiday I’m not sure what else can be expected. For me an unfair workplace isn’t somewhere I’d want to go, so the workplace would be the red flag for me here. I know a lot places don’t really care about fair recruitment practices though so I’m not surprised at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yeah this is what I was getting at. It’s the assumed entitlement. She hasn’t even started work and she’s banging on about “it’s MY RIGHT to have holiday! I’m ENTITLED TO MY HOLIDAY”

I think you can reasonably assume that if you’re not asked about holiday in advance, and you have to offer your dates without being questioned for them, that they will be honoured 🤷🏻‍♀️ when someone has paid for a holiday I’m not sure what else can be expected. For me an unfair workplace isn’t somewhere I’d want to go, so the workplace would be the red flag for me here. I know a lot places don’t really care about fair recruitment practices though so I’m not surprised at all.
That is your choice as it should be. But what does the fair recruitment practice have to do with it.
If they have a valid reason for declining the holiday then it’s not unfair.
I suggest you read the employment laws surrounding holidays. They can certainly be denied.

That is your choice as it should be. But what does the fair recruitment practice have to do with it.
If they have a valid reason for declining the holiday then it’s not unfair.
I suggest you read the employment laws surrounding holidays. They can certainly be denied.
I'm aware, thank you, I'm a civil lawyer. That's why I said fair recruitment practice and not law :)
I don't think it is fair recruitment to fail to ask a new employee for their holidays, then kick up a stink when they ask for holidays they have paid for in advance to be honoured. The recruiting manager should have asked, and unless there is a good reason, they should be honoured. If they're going to be awkward about it for no reason, I would question how well I'm going to be treated there and how valued I am going to be. It's a two way street. OP didn't just ask for a week off for a laugh - she has paid for a holiday, now they've put her in the position where presumably she has to choose between potentially losing money she's paid for a holiday or her new job. And for what? Is there actually a proper reason why this holiday can't be honoured? Doesn't sound like it. COVID isn't an excuse. Major red flag for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I would question how well I'm going to be treated there and how valued I am going to be. It's a two way street. OP didn't just ask for a week off for a laugh - she has paid for a holiday, now they've put her in the position where presumably she has to choose between potentially losing money she's paid for a holiday or her new job. And for what? Is there actually a proper reason why this holiday can't be honoured? Doesn't sound like it. COVID isn't an excuse. Major red flag for me.
This is what I was trying to say earlier but you were way more eloquent 😂 if I had young kids I’d be wondering what happened if I got a call from school to pick them up due to illness, or needed time off for an urgent doctors/dentist appointment.. would they be inflexible about that too? It’s not just about holidays.

Moving jobs (never mind in a pandemic) is always stressful so when issues like this crop up you’re bound to panic and wonder if it’s worth it/the right thing to do etc, especially when you don’t know your colleagues that well. I’m sure once you’re settled @RoseBush23 things will get easier, and glad your holidays are sorted.

• Heart
Reactions: 8