POLL about rear-facing car seats for children

If your child is aged between 15 months and 4 years old, do they have rear facing car seat?

• Yes

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is something that I have obsessed over with my daughter who is nearly 3 and it has caused arguments with her father, who thinks that we should put her front facing. Now, she is very tall for her age - more like a 5 year old in height.

All of the evidence shows that rear facing seats in a car are safer for anyone. But, having heard more peoples views on this recently, I’m wondering if I’m being a bit OTT making dd rear face until age 4. Especially considering how tall she is.

I’d be so interested to hear peoples stance on this.

I'm a supporter of extended rear facing too. I've heard that it's much safer and I would hate to have an accident whilst driving with my children in the car and they came of worse because of their car seat.

My little ones are almost 5 and almost three and they both still rear facing in my car. The 4 year oldest seat is in booster mode in her dad's car as they are too heavy for the harness . I'm sure it goes off weight more than height.

And a younger child's anatomy is different to an older child's.

Reactions: 1
Height has got nothing to do with it, mines in 6-7 clothes and rear facing. I will RF for as long as possible. Their legs can bend and they're much more comfortable being crossed etc than dangling when FF.

My daughter actually doesn’t like having her legs bent against the seat but she has extremely long legs.

Nevertheless, I feel like if you can increase the chances that your child will survive a car accident, why wouldn’t you do everything possible?

Reactions: 2
My kids a teen now, but does this take into account the type of crash I.e front/back impact?

My kids a teen now, but does this take into account the type of crash I.e front/back impact?
The occupants of a vehicle still move in the direction of travel following an impact .So an adult would be at risk of whiplash as their head continues forwards and snaps back. A rear facing car seat supports a child's head and upper body .

In the case of someone crashing while reversing, most reversing takes place at low speeds.

Reactions: 3
The occupants of a vehicle still move in the direction of travel following an impact .So an adult would be at risk of whiplash as their head continues forwards and snaps back. A rear facing car seat supports a child's head and upper body .

In the case of someone crashing while reversing, most reversing takes place at low speeds.
What about being rear-ended? Indeed that's the same thing?

My sons only 4 months but I will be RF for as long as poss! I have a friend who’s daughter is only 13 months and she’s been FF for about 3 months or so now I don’t get it 🙈

My sons only 4 months but I will be RF for as long as poss! I have a friend who’s daughter is only 13 months and she’s been FF for about 3 months or so now I don’t get it 🙈
Surely that illegal, I thought it was 15 months?

Apparently, you are more likely to have a crash to the front of your vehicle. This is what the advice is based on. Correct me if wrong though…

A girl a went to school with had pic of her grandkid who probably isn't 2 yet sitting on a booster cushion in her car. Surely common sense would make you think that a child that young needs to be harnessed .