Pistol (Sex Pistols biopic, Disney+)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is out on Hulu in the US where I live and will be Disney + in the U.K. - has anyone watched it yet? I just binged the whole thing. Love a music biopic and Danny boyle, but this felt weirdly tame. Bit cartoonish. Some of the actors were great, the guy playing Johnny rotten really captured his distinct way of speaking. It was very stylised, which I’m sure was deliberate, but it felt like a very paint by numbers version of the story. Apparently Johnny rotten has totally disavowed the whole thing and refused to be involved.

Reactions: 1
Really enjoying it so far. Love the guy who plays Johnny. He makes me laugh with the shite he comes out with 😂

Reactions: 3
Watched it all despite reading poor reviews. I must be in the minority because I enjoyed it. Johnny Rotten in particular was portrayed well I thought - the guy playing him really nailed the stare and his mannerisms.

I’m finding it quite entertaining, especially when they perform. I just wish that the actors looked more like the original people. Apart from the Johnny Rotten actor, who despite looking a bit different from John, captures his essence and way of speaking brilliantly, Chrissie Hynde, for example, looks more like Ana de Arnas, not rough or slim-faced enough, she needs sharper cheekbones, and Vivienne Westwood looks too bland and healthy, she’s boring. Jordan is great, though. The attention to detail is amazing though, and the interspliced archive footage. The script is a bit clunky.

I’m finding it quite entertaining, especially when they perform. I just wish that the actors looked more like the original people. Apart from the Johnny Rotten actor, who despite looking a bit different from John, captures his essence and way of speaking brilliantly, Chrissie Hynde, for example, looks more like Ana de Arnas, not rough or slim-faced enough, she needs sharper cheekbones, and Vivienne Westwood looks too bland and healthy, she’s boring. Jordan is great, though. The attention to detail is amazing though, and the interspliced archive footage. The script is a bit clunky.
I’m commenting on my own post to say that Chrissie, when younger, did look more like the actress playing her, to be fair. I looked up some old pics.

The Steve Jones’ book on which this is based is available in the Kindle version for only 99p on Amazon at the moment.

Wasn’t a fan, however, I don’t like sex pistols so not sure what I was expecting. My husband quite liked it, although he said it was cartoonish and a bit sycophantic, but he binged it. I think I was just put off as Johnny Rotten is now so right wing.
Actress playing Chrissy Hynde was great.

Wasn’t a fan, however, I don’t like sex pistols so not sure what I was expecting. My husband quite liked it, although he said it was cartoonish and a bit sycophantic, but he binged it. I think I was just put off as Johnny Rotten is now so right wing.
Actress playing Chrissy Hynde was great.
She’s going out with the guy who played sid in real life and she’s late twenties and they started when he was 17 😳

I really enjoyed this but felt like they really skimmed over the end of the band/Nancy and Sid dying? For a show about the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols, there wasn't a lot of screen time given to the "fall" element

I really enjoyed this but felt like they really skimmed over the end of the band/Nancy and Sid dying? For a show about the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols, there wasn't a lot of screen time given to the "fall" element
I suppose because it was mainly Steve’s story. I’ve read some of the book, he spends a lot of time thieving and shagging! - but he does go into the band break up in more depth.