Pilonidal Cyst

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m looking for any advice on the healing of pilonidal cysts that anyone or partner may of experienced. My 17 year old son had surgery yesterday for one, and is in a lot of pain. He will be having the the wound dressed daily, but we are unsure of the time it’s going to take to heal.
I had an ex partner once who also had the same thing and remember it taking a long time to heal and it reoccurring.
He has been prescribed codeine, and rest.
Does anyone have any advice on how to help him heal quicker and be more comfortable?

Hi, I had one years ago when I was a bit older than your son - likewise the wound needed dressing every day. If I remember correctly within a few weeks it was much shallower and easier to deal with, I just found it took a bit longer to get back to sports etc. The nurse at the time said eating a good diet with lots of vitamins would help it heal quicker, but that's just good advice generally lol. Ten plus years later and it has never come back! 🤞 Rest and keeping the area clean are key... And sympathy for your son, they're not pleasant!

Reactions: 1
He has my sympathy. I had one when I was 15. It took 6 weeks to heal. Ever so often I'll get a pain where the scar is.

I had one at 19. The daily dressing was agony at the start but gradually got better. I would say it took me maybe 4-5 weeks to heal and feel back to ‘normal’. It never reoccurred for me (I’m 29 now), though sometimes it niggles at me and I get paranoid but so far so good ☺

Reactions: 2
I definitely recommend dosing him up about 45 mins to an hour before his dressing change cos that’s extremely painful the first few days at least

I definitely recommend dosing him up about 45 mins to an hour before his dressing change cos that’s extremely painful the first few days at least
Thank you - yes, he’s been having codeine an hour before, he was on gas and air for the first few dressing changes. Not nice seeing him in so much pain :(

Bless him, it’s an awful thing to have to go through but thankfully once they start healing and going in the right direction it gets much better.

Reactions: 1
I had it twice. First time they just lanced it, and it came back. So they cut it out. No bother since. Don't remember recovery being too long. Try to stay away from pain killers if possible. Not good for your stomach,some are ototoxic and can damage your ears.