Period Drama Fans

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn't see a thread, so thought I would start one.

Is anyone else a fan of Period Drama? What are you watching and why do you like it?

I have been on a period drama kick this year. So far I have watched

The Thorn Birds
90s BBC Pride and Prejudice
Desperate Romantics

I am currently making my way through Mr Selfridge.

I just like seeing all the costumes and locations from different eras, and seeing how people have to solve problems when the social conventions are very different from what we have today.

Reactions: 4
Oooh I have heard a lot of good things about that one. I would like to watch it , but currently not looking to buy another streaming subscription

Reactions: 1
Love period drama’s when telly was good, the gilded age was good looking forward to season three.
Loved the Forsythe Saga the bw one is excellent on YouTube
Lillies, Upstairs Downstairs, The House of Elliot, A place to call home excellent, any Catherine Cookson adaptation,
Try just watch uk it lets you see what is available and where
The Gilded Age is on Sky and Now tv. No doubt will remember more, glad to have met my people.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes both very good, I enjoyed both the original upstairs downstairs and the newer version with Keely Hawes.
The Thorn Birds, How Green was my Valley, Duchess of Duke St, The Pallilsters, barchester chronicles, North & South
I Claudius, The Singing Detective, Larkrise to Candleford, Cranford, Pride & Prejudice, if I think of anymore I will list then,

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I couldn't see a thread, so thought I would start one.

Is anyone else a fan of Period Drama? What are you watching and why do you like it?

I have been on a period drama kick this year. So far I have watched

The Thorn Birds
90s BBC Pride and Prejudice
Desperate Romantics

I am currently making my way through Mr Selfridge.

I just like seeing all the costumes and locations from different eras, and seeing how people have to solve problems when the social conventions are very different from what we have today.
Bloody loved Desperate Romantics when it was first on years ago!

For me I just history and learning about different time periods and seeing all the costumes.

Reactions: 3
Bloody loved Desperate Romantics when it was first on years ago!

For me I just history and learning about different time periods and seeing all the costumes.

It made quite the impression on me. At the time I had never seen a historical drama that had a ' cheeky' comedic vibe to it. I didn't know you were allowed to do that in this type of show.

I was also unemployed at thw time it was on, and feeling very down. It was one of the highlights of my week.

It has loads of great actors in as well.

It made quite the impression on me. At the time I had never seen a historical drama that had a ' cheeky' comedic vibe to it. I didn't know you were allowed to do that in this type of show.

I was also unemployed at thw time it was on, and feeling very down. It was one of the highlights of my week.

It has loads of great actors in as well.
Yeah it had a good cheeky vibe, and Aidan Turner (Poldark).

Some I've enjoyed lately:

The Great (comedy drama about Catherine the Great, not historically accurate but really funny, great costumes and vibrant characters) on Lionsgate subscription on Amazon Prime.
Marie Antoinette, the TV series (on iplayer in the UK).
Lady Macbeth (fictional, very dark film with Florence Pugh). On Netflix.
The Wonder (another one with Florence Pugh, fictional) on Netflix.
The Last Kingdom (Danes & Saxons era) on Netflix.
Shogun on Disney (set in the 1600s in Japan).
Love & Friendship (Austen adaptation, really funny) on Netflix.

I couldn't get into:
The Gallows Pole on BBC (not traditional style of direction, but interesting story.
Belgravia on ITV- found the characters quite annoying!
1899 on Netflix - mystery/sci-fi and like most mysteries the setup was better than the 'solution', but characters and costumes were good.

Last edited:
Yeah it had a good cheeky vibe, and Aidan Turner (Poldark).

Some I've enjoyed lately:

The Great (comedy drama about Catherine the Great, not historically accurate but really funny, great costumes and vibrant characters) on Lionsgate subscription on Amazon Prime.
Marie Antoinette, the TV series (on iplayer in the UK).
Lady Macbeth (fictional, very dark film with Florence Pugh). On Netflix.
The Wonder (another one with Florence Pugh, fictional) on Netflix.
The Last Kingdom (Danes & Saxons era) on Netflix.
Shogun on Disney (set in the 1600s in Japan).
Love & Friendship (Austen adaptation, really funny) on Netflix.

I couldn't get into:
The Gallows Pole on BBC (not traditional style of direction, but interesting story.
Belgravia on ITV- found the characters quite annoying!
1899 on Netflix - mystery/sci-fi and like most mysteries the setup was better than the 'solution', but characters and costumes were good.

I thought 'The Great' was excellent, so much fun !

I have been chatting to a work friend today, she mentioned that she had been watching Peaky Blinders. I suppose this counts as a period drama as well.

It reminded me, I like it when you get shows that take place in the same time period bit are very different in pace and tone. Peaky Blinders takes place at the same time as later seasons of Downton Abbey and Mr Selfridge. I don't think the characters from Downton would be able to cope if presented with the world and characters as depicted in Peaky Blinders.

• Haha
The original adaptation of The Buccaneers is really good. Apple TV+ have recently broadcast a new series which I enjoyed, although not as much as the original.

The original adaptation of The Buccaneers is really good. Apple TV+ have recently broadcast a new series which I enjoyed, although not as much as the original.
I enjoyed the Apple TV version. Didn't think I would stick with it as it seemed quite frothy. But then it explored issues about being a woman in a man's world and had a serious side.

Same I didn't know if I'd like the buccaneers but really enjoyed! Might have to check out the original adaptation.

I am heading towards the end of Mr Selfridge. This show has really helped me get through a crappy period at work. I am working a lot of late shifts and have been watching it to unwind on an evening. I am going to feel lost without it.