Passport confusion.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello 👋 so I’m in a muddle and trying to Google answers isn’t always helpful.
Daughter turned 16 in June. Has a child passport which ran out a while back. Didn’t renew it as too skint to even dream of a holiday then obviously lockdown. Getting back on my feet so wanting to take kids away next year. Have lost her birth certificate. So was going to apply for it at £38 but then saw renewal passport only £49. So a few questions. Do I need a birth certificate to renew her passport? Because I’ll never use birth certificate so would rather save that money for passport. And is it just a renewal or is it a full blown need a birth certificate to apply for an adult? Nothing is ever clear. Thank you

Hello 👋 so I’m in a muddle and trying to Google answers isn’t always helpful.
Daughter turned 16 in June. Has a child passport which ran out a while back. Didn’t renew it as too skint to even dream of a holiday then obviously lockdown. Getting back on my feet so wanting to take kids away next year. Have lost her birth certificate. So was going to apply for it at £38 but then saw renewal passport only £49. So a few questions. Do I need a birth certificate to renew her passport? Because I’ll never use birth certificate so would rather save that money for passport. And is it just a renewal or is it a full blown need a birth certificate to apply for an adult? Nothing is ever clear. Thank you
Pretty sure a passport renewal is more than that. Think I paid closer to £100 for mine.

Yes, you're right. It's an adult passport for over-sixteens. I was thinking it was for over-eighteens. So they will need a birth certificate to apply.

Getting your first adult passport - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
I've just deleted the post you quoted cos I think I'm wrong. 😂
Says on that link

You can apply for a first adult passport if all of the following apply:

you’re a British national
you’re aged 16 or over (or will be in 3 weeks)
you’ve never had a UK passport before

I'm gonna stop posting cos I don't think I'm helping 😂😂

So as she’s turned 16 and will now need an adult passport she needs a birth certificate for the application? As in like a fresh new one? This is how I went around in circles because I couldn’t get my head around it all. So she’s not a child renewal. She’s now basically applying for a fresh new adult passport so will need a birth certificate not her old passport. I think that’s right? Lol

Reactions: 1
So as she’s turned 16 and will now need an adult passport she needs a birth certificate for the application? As in like a fresh new one? This is how I went around in circles because I couldn’t get my head around it all. So she’s not a child renewal. She’s now basically applying for a fresh new adult passport so will need a birth certificate not her old passport. I think that’s right? Lol
That's it!:)

You’re right that it’s not very clear whether on the distinction of ‘never had a UK passport before’ if that means child or adult.

you could try ringing the advice line, not sure if anyone will answer with the striking but maybe worth a try to get advice

I have no answers regarding the passport but even though you won't need her birth certificate for anything your daughter might need it for something in the future like opening a new bank account etc so I would get a copy of that for her for the future.