Parents of Toddlers with Autism/Global development delays/Speech Delays

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else’s toddler non verbal but doesn’t shut up?😂 all these different sounds/words without meaning constantly! I just wish they were proper words but I’m keeping my fingers crossed as she’s only just turned 2🤞🏻
hahaha, my son is 3, can’t communicate verbally but the loudest in the room sometimes.
words will come, my son says lots of singular words, labels absolutely everything but can’t tell me what he wants. A year ago he pretty much didn’t say a thing xx

Reactions: 1
hahaha, my son is 3, can’t communicate verbally but the loudest in the room sometimes.
words will come, my son says lots of singular words, labels absolutely everything but can’t tell me what he wants. A year ago he pretty much didn’t say a thing xx
Hi can I please ask when did he turn 3? My daughter is 3 next week and starting to label things, and pointing so much more too!
I’ve read quite a lot that age 3-4 can be quite a big year for development and speech, but trying not to get my hopes up!

Hi can I please ask when did he turn 3? My daughter is 3 next week and starting to label things, and pointing so much more too!
I’ve read quite a lot that age 3-4 can be quite a big year for development and speech, but trying not to get my hopes up!
Hi yes of course. He was 3 in august. He only started responding to his name in Jan/feb time. He points randomly but I wouldn’t say he could do it consistently. But like I say he will pick up everything and say what it is, in books etc. Our HV also said by age 4 vocab should be well on their way. We are in the middle of our EHCP application and the Ed psychologist said that from what he can see of my son, he thinks he will be forming short sentences by the end of year 1. Which for us is amazing.
Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi yes of course. He was 3 in august. He only started responding to his name in Jan/feb time. He points randomly but I wouldn’t say he could do it consistently. But like I say he will pick up everything and say what it is, in books etc. Our HV also said by age 4 vocab should be well on their way. We are in the middle of our EHCP application and the Ed psychologist said that from what he can see of my son, he thinks he will be forming short sentences by the end of year 1. Which for us is amazing.
Xx
Oh really that’s good to know, you must be so pleased with his progress!

Hey guys 👋🏻 mine is 4.5 so a little ahead, we saw a HUGE leap in communication over the last year, still rely on scripts and repetition, and struggles a bit with other people’s turns of phrase, but overall we can have back and to conversations easily now and they can express verbally how they’re feeling, what they want to eat, wear, play with etc. I fully credit Hanan More Than Words for the uplift in communication, highly recommend finding a course either through NHS or private

• Heart
Hey guys 👋🏻 mine is 4.5 so a little ahead, we saw a HUGE leap in communication over the last year, still rely on scripts and repetition, and struggles a bit with other people’s turns of phrase, but overall we can have back and to conversations easily now and they can express verbally how they’re feeling, what they want to eat, wear, play with etc. I fully credit Hanan More Than Words for the uplift in communication, highly recommend finding a course either through NHS or private
This is great to hear, I bet you are so pleased! Can I please ask what child’s speech and understanding was like between 2-3?

This is great to hear, I bet you are so pleased! Can I please ask what child’s speech and understanding was like between 2-3?
Understanding was slim to none, at home we got very used to saying the exact same phrases every day for them to understand what was happening now and next, and we also have a visual board, but it was frustrating with nursery or family as they expected verbal responses or answers to questions and they just weren’t forthcoming at all. I went on a Hanan course and most of it seemed really obvious once we spoke about it, but having videos to watch of other parents trying the techniques out with their children was fantastic as it’s one thing to see the ideas written down but kids rarely do things by the book!

My daughter is turning 3 tomorrow, she doesn’t have any understanding or birthdays it will just be another day for her.
I have been on and off crying all weekend just feeling sad about things. I try and be positive but I think turning another year old just highlights her differences and delays and it just makes me feel so sad!
Doesn’t help that we were out with her cousins this weekend who are over a year younger than her and are all miles ahead of her now socially and verbally, I held back tears a good few times and I just dread any future family gatherings now.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Aww I totally feel you, I’m exactly the same. My son was 3 in august and totally oblivious about birthdays and Christmas too. I’m really hoping next year he shows some understanding.
Try and have a good day regardless. It’s hard with family and friends as many don’t really understand at all. Sending love x

• Heart
My son has ASD and I found the year of him being 2-3 years old really hard as other kids his age seemed to be making leaps forwards with their development and my son was ‘stuck’ at about 18 months as far as his speech/language and communication was concerned. He didn’t understand his birthday or Christmas either and I was worried that we would never get to properly ‘enjoy’ those things together. Now he’s 4 and we’ve seen such a big change over the past year, he is speaking in full sentences and is so excited about Christmas coming up! I know not every child will be the same but just wanted to give some hope that they can surprise you and with support it can get better.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Our first ever Christmas tree has been a bit of a disaster, 4 year old burst into tears and said it’s scary and wants both it and Christmas to go away 😔 We’d been slowly adding decorations to the house so as to not overwhelm, but seems the tree was the tipping point. Great timing for our santas grotto trip tomorrow!

• Heart
My son has ASD and I found the year of him being 2-3 years old really hard as other kids his age seemed to be making leaps forwards with their development and my son was ‘stuck’ at about 18 months as far as his speech/language and communication was concerned. He didn’t understand his birthday or Christmas either and I was worried that we would never get to properly ‘enjoy’ those things together. Now he’s 4 and we’ve seen such a big change over the past year, he is speaking in full sentences and is so excited about Christmas coming up! I know not every child will be the same but just wanted to give some hope that they can surprise you and with support it can get better.
Thank you for sharing, this gives me hope! I do keep reading that 3-4 can be a big year in terms of speech and development for our kids, really hoping this is the case for my little girl. She has taken more notice of our Christmas tree this year which has been nice. Trying to keep all the positives in my mind, just so hard not to let negative and sad thoughts creep in especially with big events like birthdays and Christmas etc!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Is anyone at the EHCP stage yet?

My 3.5 year Old's EHCP needs assessment request was accepted, which is great, however the upcoming assessment just fill me with so much anxiety.

I haaaatteee the thought of some random stranger coming and judging her. It actually makes me feel really defensive and overprotective. If that makes sense?
(I know the "random stranger" is actually a professional and the "judging" is actually an assessment 😅)

Reactions: 2
Is anyone at the EHCP stage yet?

My 3.5 year Old's EHCP needs assessment request was accepted, which is great, however the upcoming assessment just fill me with so much anxiety.

I haaaatteee the thought of some random stranger coming and judging her. It actually makes me feel really defensive and overprotective. If that makes sense?
(I know the "random stranger" is actually a professional and the "judging" is actually an assessment 😅)
Yes we are, it’s not the nicest process but I found the long delays the worst, our local council aren’t sticking to 20 week timelines, it’s taking up to a year!

Yes we are, it’s not the nicest process but I found the long delays the worst, our local council aren’t sticking to 20 week timelines, it’s taking up to a year!
What stage are you up to?

A year is just ridiculous isn't it. So much time and money wasted taking parents to tribunal, which 95% of the time the LA loses, could be better spent sourcing more educational psychologists.

A year is just ridiculous isn't it. So much time and money wasted taking parents to tribunal, which 95% of the time the LA loses, could be better spent sourcing more educational psychologists.
We are , my son had his assessment two weeks ago, the doctor was lovely and he said he strongly believes he is autistic and would benefit from an EHCP.
Just hope his report reads well at the panel!

My five year old granddaughter had her Ed Psych assessment a few weeks ago. Now we are waiting to see if she gets an EHCP. She was diagnosed with severe speech language and communication delay over two years ago. The first request for assessment was turned down as not meeting the threshold, but since then she has received an autism diagnosis. So she was re-referred. Waiting lists in our area are horrendous, although her school have been very helpful and she gets a lot of 1:1 support. I feel for anyone going through the assessment process, it is very stressful.

Almost done and dusted for us, just waiting to hear what level of funding will be allocated. It took us 47 weeks from application to final report draft, we were accepted straightaway but most of the wait was to an EP, huge shortage in our area.

Christmas present ideas for my 2 year old? struggling so much to think of stuff when she's not actually that into toys 😂

Christmas present ideas for my 2 year old? struggling so much to think of stuff when she's not actually that into toys 😂
We got our son a vtech activity table. Didn’t actually use it properly til he was just 3 but it’s good interaction x