Parents of kids leaving primary school

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just wondered if any other parents are in the same boat as me. My eldest finished primary school today and starts high school in September.
I'm really emotional about it!! I've spent most of the day crying on and off. Just spent an hour in bed scrolling old photos and crying even more. Why does time have to go so bloody fast?? He's 11 now, and I feel like I have less time with him now than I've already had if that makes sense. Like I've had the majority of his childhood.

I know lots of people say the kids are ready to move on, truth be told I don't think he is. If I told him have another year at primary he would love it. He is off to high school with all of his friends and I know he will be fine, its just such a big change isn't it?!

I keep welling up picturing me taking his sister to school and he not being there. I always wave her in and then turn around and watch him for a couple of mins before I leave. So strange to think he won't be there and will be in a whole new place. Countless times I've just hovered around watching him running around like a loony or laughing away with his pals. A few occasions I've had to tie up the odd shoelace or pass over something he's forgotten. Just feels like the end of an era that I won't see his little face there now.

Parenting is bloody tough on the old emotions isn't it. I just needed a bit of a rant and vent I think, anyone else going through this - I am with you!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
This is awful, I had this last year and really struggled. All I can is that she absolutely flourished and I didn’t lose her in any way… she has still been the same child she was at primary. It’s really hard, but it will be okay. I imagined high school as this big scary monster, but actually, fast forward and I wish I’d worried less!

• Heart
Reactions: 1