Parenting Advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The only parenting threads I’ve seen on here are either toddler/baby/post birth, so u guess I’ll create one.
Sigh. My LO (6) is back at school after Easter holidays tomorrow (and me back to work with an important event to attend) and like clockwork she seems to be coming down with some illness already. Probably flu or a cold. However, my nerves are shot.
I get so much anxiety when she gets sick. And it’s ALWAYS before an important event. Like I’ve lost count of times I’ve had to cancel holidays, parties, events, work trips etc. I wouldn’t say she’s sick all the time, but it’s like, she will be fine for 2 weeks and without fail 3rd week some sickness.
I find I deal with it more severely than other mothers I know. Some shrug it off & get on with it, some are SAHM and it just means keeping their kids home. Some give their kids calpol & send them in regardless (don’t get me started…)
Earlier this year we cancelled our holiday to Florida cz she came down with scarlet fever & needed hospitalisation. Prior to this she had covid before a family event. When she’s sick I soldier through with her, giving her everything she needs & being that pillar she needs to gain strength. But I am mentally drained after, dreading the next bout. I don’t know what’s triggering this, maybe coz when she was born she spent time in NICU & had a fragile immune system for a while, or maybe coz my little cousin developed cancer during that time aswell, & had to isolate from everyone as he developed a life threatening infection (this was traumatic for the whole family and as a first time mum couldn’t comprehend how a child could suffer this way)
I generally handle illness well. And everything else life throws at me. But I don’t know how to speak out about this. Am I a lunatic? The anxiety is preventing me from wanting another child. I don’t think I could handle those nursery viruses again.
any advice & guidance would be appreciated. I’ve previously tried therapy via nhs & found it didn’t work for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 1