Panorama - Online Abuse: Why Do You Hate Me? - BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Parliamentary investigation team said that less than 15% of abusive correspondence is done via social media, the majority was done by letter or phone calls/emails.

also heard a really valid point earlier, take away the ability to be anonymous online and whistleblowers are a thing of the past, nobody is going to out the shady dealings of a corporation if they’re going to get caught 😐
Interesting statistic.

Not sure about the whistleblowing point. I think companies/corporations/government departments tend to have whistleblowing policies and procedures (which safeguard anonymity) that don't necessitate the use of social media.

Much better idea. Would also stop vulnerable people who message these people genuinely waiting for replies being able to contact people who don’t give a tit about them. Would also stop certain influencers being able to send messages to them self, screen shotting it and claiming they get sooo much abuse if that’s stopped. Loads of them do this for engagement and clout, it’s usually very obvious as they are typed very similar to how they type it and it’s word for word feedback from them scrolling on tattle
Blimey - do some really do that?

Reactions: 2
This is the full article they want a lot of stuff added to the bill I don’t know how SM platforms would enforce this most people like the the anonymity even if only to browse the lost revenue would be too much the big guns would fight it all the way

Interesting statistic.

Not sure about the whistleblowing point. I think companies/corporations/government departments tend to have whistleblowing policies and procedures (which safeguard anonymity) that don't necessitate the use of social media.

I think you’re right about the whistleblowers I was reading in the local press earlier about a woman wanting to fight the BBCs policy on that she can’t disclose any details of bullying she suffered.

Not sure about the whistleblowing point.
I assumed they meant lower paid workers in corporations or big business who might use social media to make people aware of what’s going on behind the scenes.

another issue is the media in general, if they think they don’t fan the “hatred” flames they’re in denial.
Most of the “hate” towards politicians in particular begins in the media, they conduct the interviews and make the headlines, they choose how to present the information to the public, they turn on celebrities or politicians at the same time if not before the public does. So they fan the flames they’re now looking at in horror, like they have nothing to do with the match that was thrown towards it.

Reactions: 3
Laughable when MPs themselves are called out for sending abuse I think he was named online as the mystery politician that was arrested over coercive control last year and Priti for her bullying 🙄

Owen Jones has a nerve when he regularly starts Twitter pile-ons and sits back smugly. He and Ash Sakaar did that recently and it inevitably ended with "who, me? Don't know what you're talking about but she deserved it anyway". Hundreds of death threats were sent to that woman all because she was worried about her child transitioning.

Reactions: 5
Owen Jones has a nerve when he regularly starts Twitter pile-ons and sits back smugly. He and Ash Sakaar did that recently and it inevitably ended with "who, me? Don't know what you're talking about but she deserved it anyway". Hundreds of death threats were sent to that woman all because she was worried about her child transitioning.
I don't know who he is tbh ,my post was aimed at Mark Francois ,who himself is a very questionable person to be pushing for this type of bill .I'm sure there's many of these people have trolled others online yet have jumped on their highhorse yesterday:rolleyes:

Well that was a load of nothingness. I feel 90 second video packages in the news have covered petty much the same - rape and death threats are unacceptable and social media and gov should do more.

Everytime I see a bbc doc the quality goes down. Is the BBC and Panorama really anything to be proud of?

Was more like a video version of a quickly made tabloid article where they decide on a headline then stitch together a few things to proove the headline.

Reactions: 6
Well that was a load of nothingness. I feel 90 second video packages in the news have covered petty much the same - rape and death threats are unacceptable and social media and gov should do more.

Everytime I see a bbc doc the quality goes down. Is the BBC and Panorama really anything to be proud of?

Was more like a video version of a quickly made tabloid article where they decide on a headline then stitch together a few things to proove the headline.
Andrew Marr turned me right off the BBC for any type of news content.
I’m expecting to see him on all fours balancing a tea tray and barking like a puppy for Boris and co.
one of these days.

Interesting statistic.

100%! they love the engagement it gets them, all the messages come flooding from the ukokhun brigade

The Parliamentary investigation team said that less than 15% of abusive correspondence is done via social media, the majority was done by letter or phone calls/emails.

also heard a really valid point earlier, take away the ability to be anonymous online and whistleblowers are a thing of the past, nobody is going to out the shady dealings of a corporation if they’re going to get caught 😐
What worried me about the investigation was the fact that they invited influencers to parliament to talk about the impact , ones whose agenda was take down forums . I don’t recall seeing notes from concerned citizens about their freedom of speech attending. With MPs looking to score points off the back of the horrible murder , I can see where that could end up.

I don't think having to use your real identity will have as much of an impact on stopping these messages as people think.

I've seen people on LinkedIn posting super inappropriate comments and willingly airing sexist views etc and I think I've seen people mentioning getting inappropriate sexually graphic DMs as well. This is on accounts with people's real names and entire CVs on them. They just don't care because I guess they either think noone will read what they write or it doesn't matter because they can't see the people they're contacting online as real people.

Yeah it might stop the more severe elements of trolling you get on twitter etc where people start entire brigades but it wouldn't eradicate online hate messages.

Yel

What worried me about the investigation was the fact that they invited influencers to parliament to talk about the impact , ones whose agenda was take down forums . I don’t recall seeing notes from concerned citizens about their freedom of speech attending. With MPs looking to score points off the back of the horrible murder , I can see where that could end up.
It won't end up anywhere. It was probably just ditzy fan girls in the government press office that got influencers to give their view.

It doesn't stand up to any basic scrutiny. Especially not their ridiculous claims of abuse and harassment.

The people that need to be protected are not influencers / celebs saying that people having negative opinions about them hurts their feelings. It's members of the public. Only in a dictatorship could you ban members of the public from having an opinion on businesses which is what influencers are.

There's real a lack of critical thinking around influencers and their demands to have their cake and eat it.

Stop chasing fame if you don't want the inevitable consequences of fame.

Reactions: 4
It’s worrying how obviously narcissistic these influencers are.

someone said something to hurt your feelings and you genuinely feel the important is huge enough to take to the government?! Can we just read that again?! You, as an adult, have the capacity to read and understand and consent to being on the internet. You can make an informed decision.

worrying how many influencers are so keen to protect themselves but I’ve commented several times on the worst offenders of influencers about not featuring children till they are old enough to consent and the comment either gets deleted or ignored. Even the uokhun brigade never reply to these as none of them have an argument to defend it.

the closest I ever got to a response once was on Facebook and someone said “it’s their child they can do what they want with IT” I’m not joking. I replied and said “it? So the child is their belonging is it? Not a human with its own thoughts, feelings and Rights?” The replies swiftly disappeared so guessing the hun was hurt and blocked me

Reactions: 1
I’m sure a lot of influencers will love this
To be honest that's terrible reporting from the BBC. It's actual harrasment and stalking that person was doing;

Mrs Patterson was told "we have your address" and told she would "punch her in her f******* face".

In messages littered with highly racist language, Tracey was even told "You won't be waking up tomorrow".

Dawn, of Sheridan Court, Stapleford, would often send Tracey pictures of her home, telling the terrified victim that she knew when her husband had left for work and claiming to be at charity events they both attended.

Nothing to do with commentary and criticism that influencers get. They are dillusional to think negative opinions about the content they choose to share publicly as a job is anything even remotely to do with abuse, harassment or stalking.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
To be honest that's terrible reporting from the BBC. It's actual harrasment and stalking that person was doing;

Mrs Patterson was told "we have your address" and told she would "punch her in her f******* face".

In messages littered with highly racist language, Tracey was even told "You won't be waking up tomorrow".

Dawn, of Sheridan Court, Stapleford, would often send Tracey pictures of her home, telling the terrified victim that she knew when her husband had left for work and claiming to be at charity events they both attended.

Nothing to do with commentary and criticism that influencers get. They are dillusional to think negative opinions about the content they choose to share publicly as a job is anything even remotely to do with abuse, harassment or stalking.
They like to lump everyone together under the TROLL banner and don't actually focus on what's written . She sounded more of a stalker than a troll ,big difference. She was actully jailed for stalking do people see that in the same context as leaving a comment about someone ? I don't .

They like to lump everyone together under the TROLL banner and don't actually focus on what's written . She sounded more of a stalker than a troll ,big difference. She was actully jailed for stalking do people see that in the same context as leaving a comment about someone ? I don't .
Yep, shame on the BBC, government and influencers who do all they can to mislead.

Anything they don't like = TROLLS! regardless of it's actual harassment or people expressing an opinion on their wallpaper that they have to go out of their way to read.

Yep, shame on the BBC, government and influencers who do all they can to mislead.

Anything they don't like = TROLLS! regardless of it's actual harassment or people expressing an opinion on their wallpaper that they have to go out of their way to read.
With the whole trolling thing that was going on I had a look on certain Instas and I thought they were really disturbing ,it's shocking that influencers think what's written here is damaging ,they need to take a look at their " real fans" it's those people they don't want to piss off because they put them on such a high pedestol any wrong turn is a big letdown to them ,it's those people will be lying in wait and look for revenge because they take everything these influencers do personally not the like of here who couldn't care less what they do ,you do get your eyes opened reading what some of these fangirls write.

This is the sort of behaviour that warrants a sentence not people expressing opinions on a commentary website..(!can’t link)
E13B42EF-2DF6-4F87-96B4-A3AA05E05A3A.jpeg

How do they know this! are they going through peoples accounts anonymously 🤔 edit to add it’s just their usernames.

How do they know this! are they going through peoples accounts anonymously 🤔 edit to add it’s just their usernames.
Using the Twitter API and a language like Python you can scrape data on a user’s profile or tweets v easily, Google Twitter api developer guide and it’ll show you all the fields available.