Painful cervical smear

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all - slightly embarrassing topic but here we go.
I have been called up for my cervical smear. I’ve had 2 done in the past and they were absolute agony. The 2nd time the nurse couldn’t properly do it because I was in pain and so tense. She said because I’ve had the HPV jab then there is a lower chance of cervical cancer.
I know for most women it’s uncomfortable but doable. However this isn’t the case for me.
I believe I know why I find it painful (I also find sex extremely painful) and this isn’t something I want to go into on this thread.
My question is - is there anything that the dr can prescribe to help? I take anti depressants already if that’s applicable. My drs surgery doesn’t allow you to ring in and book to speak to a GP anymore, we have to fill out a form so the receptionists can assign us. The form only allows for a short amount of information so I’m not sure what to ask for?
Sorry for such a rambling post, I am quite nervous about this because I know how important it is to have the test but I am hesitant to book due to the pain and traumatic experience of the whole procedure.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I find mine incredibly uncomfortable too. The last time they used the smallest speculum and it honestly made the biggest difference.

I got referred to my local sexual health clinic for mine as apparently having the stirrups and movable bed can really help make the procedure much more comfortable for women that struggle with it. Most GP surgery’s don’t have that kind of equipment though so that’s my GP referred me.

I honestly hated getting mines done previously but now I wouldn’t say that I’d happily get it done again but I won’t be stressing out again about them as I know now what helps me.

ETA I also find sex can be very painful as I suffer from endometriosis so I can completely sympathise with you.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
You can do an at home HPV test which uses a small swab and not the speculum. Unfortunately yes you will still need to insert it into your vagina, but doing it in the comfort of your own home and using a swab might be easier. You can get them from Superdrug (probably other high street pharmacies too). You would need to go back for a smear test if you test positive for HPV, but as you've had the jab it should be unlikely. It doesn't completely rule out a smear test but worth thinking about. There's a thread on Mumsnet about this, can't link it but it's called "I have vaginismus and I can't face the smear test"

If you have vaginismus (or think you do), I'd mention it to the nurse at the start of your appointment and ask for a smaller speculum to be used. I know some nurses can be very no-nonsense, but they need to make you feel comfortable so please don't feel embarrassed by asking. They might have you lie down in a different position (on your back with legs in stirrups is pretty full on), go a bit slower, talk you through the procedure as they're doing it, that sort of thing. In terms of something the doctor can prescribe, possibly diazepam and I know some women who have taken it before a smear test.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I empathise with you, due to past SA and horrible smear/colposcopy experiences so far I've basically opted myself out of smears for now. Like @katyazamo said, you can do an at home HPV test - I've done one of these and I found it fine, the swab is thinner than a tampon and no need for a speculum, it only needs to go into the vagina rather than the cervix so not especially high up and is really easy to do. There are also urine tests available now too. For the majority of women the HPV test would be identical to a smear as the NHS currently only sends your cells off for full testing if you do have HPV present. Given you've had the HPV vaccine, which is very close to 100% effective, it is highly unlikely you will have HPV. This vaccine is so effective that it's thought in the future we won't need smear testing at all. So, personally, if I were you, I wouldn't even bother going for a smear and at most I would do the at home HPV test.

Just to add - I actually asked a GP if she could prescribe me anything like diazepam for a smear and she refused saying they don't 'do that' anymore, so I'm not sure if this is actually available through the NHS although I believe Jo's Trust website says it's an option. This particular GP wouldn't even give it to me for a colposcopy though so I'm not sure if she was just extremely unsympathetic or whether it's actually against NICE guidelines or something.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
First of all, please don't be embarrassed about talking about your smear.

There's quite a bit your clinician can do to help if you are worried or nervous, like using a smaller speculum (device that's inserting into the vaginal canal so the cervix can be viewed clearly). Or you can listen to your favourite music on headphones if that would help relax you.
I find wearing a skirt or dress makes me feel more comfortable as I don't have to fully undress for the screening.
Have a chat with your doctor or nurse as they will want to help you feel as comfortable as possible.
As you have had the HPV vaccine, your risk will be lower but it's still adviseable to go for your screening as it's a way of identifying any abnormal cells early.

There's some advice on Jo's Cervical trust which you might find helpful.

Ask Eve also have an information line if you wamt to speak some one about your worries:
0808 802 0019

Hope it all goes ok, sending you a virtual hug ❤

• Heart
I would advise to always always go to Family Planning for smears, coils etc. Thats their speciality. They don’t do anything else. I’ve had three coils. Two at drs. Agony. One at Family Planning. No problems. They are experts

Reactions: 3
I would advise to always always go to Family Planning for smears, coils etc. Thats their speciality. They don’t do anything else. I’ve had three coils. Two at drs. Agony. One at Family Planning. No problems. They are experts
The problem is I live very rurally and I don’t drive due to health issues. The nearest one is a fair distance away.
---
First of all, please don't be embarrassed about talking about your smear.

There's quite a bit your clinician can do to help if you are worried or nervous, like using a smaller speculum (device that's inserting into the vaginal canal so the cervix can be viewed clearly). Or you can listen to your favourite music on headphones if that would help relax you.
I find wearing a skirt or dress makes me feel more comfortable as I don't have to fully undress for the screening.
Have a chat with your doctor or nurse as they will want to help you feel as comfortable as possible.
As you have had the HPV vaccine, your risk will be lower but it's still adviseable to go for your screening as it's a way of identifying any abnormal cells early.

There's some advice on Jo's Cervical trust which you might find helpful.

Ask Eve also have an information line if you wamt to speak some one about your worries:
0808 802 0019

Hope it all goes ok, sending you a virtual hug ❤
Thank you so much for all this information ❤

I tried to explain my issues with my mum and she was very dismissive. She said her was uncomfortable and I said mine is agony, I was screaming out last time. And then she says ‘yes well you need to get it done’. She minimises everything, it’s rather frustrating.
---
I empathise with you, due to past SA and horrible smear/colposcopy experiences so far I've basically opted myself out of smears for now. Like @katyazamo said, you can do an at home HPV test - I've done one of these and I found it fine, the swab is thinner than a tampon and no need for a speculum, it only needs to go into the vagina rather than the cervix so not especially high up and is really easy to do. There are also urine tests available now too. For the majority of women the HPV test would be identical to a smear as the NHS currently only sends your cells off for full testing if you do have HPV present. Given you've had the HPV vaccine, which is very close to 100% effective, it is highly unlikely you will have HPV. This vaccine is so effective that it's thought in the future we won't need smear testing at all. So, personally, if I were you, I wouldn't even bother going for a smear and at most I would do the at home HPV test.

Just to add - I actually asked a GP if she could prescribe me anything like diazepam for a smear and she refused saying they don't 'do that' anymore, so I'm not sure if this is actually available through the NHS although I believe Jo's Trust website says it's an option. This particular GP wouldn't even give it to me for a colposcopy though so I'm not sure if she was just extremely unsympathetic or whether it's actually against NICE guidelines or something.
Thank you for the advice and I’m so sorry you have experienced SA ❤
I looked online and the NICE guidelines don’t say anything about GPS not prescribing sedatives anymore. It seems more than likely this GP couldn’t be bothered and was highly unprofessional.
---
There's a thread on Mumsnet about this, can't link it but it's called "I have vaginismus and I can't face the smear test"
Thank you for linking this thread! I never knew so many woman suffered with the same thing as me! It was really eye opening and it felt comforting to read about other women having the same difficulties as me. I’ve been silent about this for so long.

I messaged the Drs surgery and they booked me in for a phone call at the end of the month to discuss this with a doctor before I book a smear. Will ask them about having a smaller speculum, numbing, sedatives and the at home test.

Thank you all so much for your messages, eased my mind so much.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Hello all - slightly embarrassing topic but here we go.
I have been called up for my cervical smear. I’ve had 2 done in the past and they were absolute agony. The 2nd time the nurse couldn’t properly do it because I was in pain and so tense. She said because I’ve had the HPV jab then there is a lower chance of cervical cancer.
I know for most women it’s uncomfortable but doable. However this isn’t the case for me.
I believe I know why I find it painful (I also find sex extremely painful) and this isn’t something I want to go into on this thread.
My question is - is there anything that the dr can prescribe to help? I take anti depressants already if that’s applicable. My drs surgery doesn’t allow you to ring in and book to speak to a GP anymore, we have to fill out a form so the receptionists can assign us. The form only allows for a short amount of information so I’m not sure what to ask for?
Sorry for such a rambling post, I am quite nervous about this because I know how important it is to have the test but I am hesitant to book due to the pain and traumatic experience of the whole procedure.
I have the same problem, I have anxiety and get awfully nervous about medical procedures. Tensing up, panic, pins and needles. I had one smear and the pain was awful, I went back a couple years later and nurse wouldn't do it as I was panicking so much. I had to go back for one recently as part of a gynae check but the doctor didnt go through with it as I was on my period

• Heart
I have the same problem, I have anxiety and get awfully nervous about medical procedures. Tensing up, panic, pins and needles. I had one smear and the pain was awful, I went back a couple years later and nurse wouldn't do it as I was panicking so much. I had to go back for one recently as part of a gynae check but the doctor didnt go through with it as I was on my period
Sorry you had a such a bad experience with your screening. It may be helpful for you to talk about your concerns with your nurse or doctor to see if they can help make your next screening slightly easier for you.
Please don't feel embarrassed to ask them.

• Heart
I’m sorry to hear this — you’re not alone.

I get extremely annoyed, personally, reading over and over in posts online or supposed medical advice that smear tests are painless — not for me, they’re not, and I know it’s true for others. I find this industrial-level gaslighting, to be quite honest. It is impossible for it not to hurt for me — I’ve tried to relax and so on but there’s no getting around the fact it is simply painful. I’ve accepted this on the basis it’s every three years and to just get through it, but I know some women are in excruciating pain that’s extremely hard to manage.

Hope talking it through and measures such as smaller speculum etc are helpful, hope doctor / nurse has other suggestions too.

• Heart
I had mine done a few weeks ago and they had to stop because I was in so much pain 🥲 like yourself I find sex painful.

I have to go back next week and I'm dreading it. They found hpv cells last year so it definitely needs doing otherwise I'll be referred to gynea 🥲

I hate seeing people saying oh it's over in seconds and that they either feel nothing or it'd uncomfortable 🙄

• Heart
  • Sad
ohhh I feel you so much on this, I've just been in my yearly dilemma this week too about that ( I'm in the US so I usually get one yearly). I have vaginismus/ other pain conditions that haven't yet been figured out and probably might not, but all of the above is very painful for me just like you OP. Not to be too much TMI but I had a very emotional and painful time trying to insert a tampon at 13 and it's been a long line of a lot of pain that most have just gaslit me about so I completely understand you and I'm glad you shared where people can empathize with you here as it's a very isolating problem.

Just reading your post, I was nodding my head here reading because I just empathize so much and I really feel for you, I'm sorry it's been so hard for you.

When I go I have to ask them to use the pediatric speculum and even then it's often still painful, maybe also because there's the doctor plus nurse in the room and there's all these high expectations- a social aspect of struggle if you will.

However I think if you request a pediatric speculum, that alone could be of great help.

Are you looking for medication suggestions that you'll only be taking 1 or 2 times just to get through the procedure? Because you could request a valium or something like that, as a one or two-off thing it would be of good help, although I wouldn't suggest taking them on the daily because they're habit forming. For the procedure alone, could be a great rescue though.

I also know a few people who take gabapentin for it, but not sure if that needs some time to build up in your body or if it could help right away.

Oh! Also, over all the exams I've endured, someone asked last year if it would help if I inserted it, and now I request that. It's a little easier as well.

I think maybe if you tackle it with a small speculum, you being in more control, and a xanax or valium to get through the session, you will absolutely be able to do it with relative ease and no more trauma.

I genuinely hope that helps. Hugs 💓

• Heart
So ladies I had my phone call today for a talk before my smear - the nurse was kind and said they had different size speculums and they can use different positions and she would ask the most experienced nurse to do the test. She was veering towards the thought that I was just nervous about the exam so I said to her that it’s not just nerves, I find it painful and I find sex and inserting a tampon painful. I think this threw her off a bit, I mentioned vaginismus and whilst I haven’t been diagnosed with it, I can relate to a lot of the symptoms. I don’t think she knew what that was. But she said she’ll do some research and see if the best course is to go and visit s gynaecologist. She asked me about sexual trauma and I clammed up. I haven’t really experienced it myself but I witnessed it as a child. So when I tried to explain that she didn’t seem to fully understand what I was getting at. But regardless she booked me a double appointment for a few weeks time and hopefully the test will go well enough that I can finish it this time. And hopefully she’ll get back to me about this gynaecologist appointment (but in my area the medical professionals will say one thing and then totally forget about it until you remind them!).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
So ladies I had my phone call today for a talk before my smear - the nurse was kind and said they had different size speculums and they can use different positions and she would ask the most experienced nurse to do the test. She was veering towards the thought that I was just nervous about the exam so I said to her that it’s not just nerves, I find it painful and I find sex and inserting a tampon painful. I think this threw her off a bit, I mentioned vaginismus and whilst I haven’t been diagnosed with it, I can relate to a lot of the symptoms. I don’t think she knew what that was. But she said she’ll do some research and see if the best course is to go and visit s gynaecologist. She asked me about sexual trauma and I clammed up. I haven’t really experienced it myself but I witnessed it as a child. So when I tried to explain that she didn’t seem to fully understand what I was getting at. But regardless she booked me a double appointment for a few weeks time and hopefully the test will go well enough that I can finish it this time. And hopefully she’ll get back to me about this gynaecologist appointment (but in my area the medical professionals will say one thing and then totally forget about it until you remind them!).
I'm sorry, it feels like she shouldn't have asked about that kind of trauma over the phone. Or unless you were in a counseling session or something where she had permission or license ( so to speak) to bring up those topics. They don't usually ask us that here on the phone, but they have asked face-to-face before when you go to a new GYN, and it always comes out of left field and I hate it. I wish they wouldn't ask about any types of abuse, but I know some victims might want them to ask, so that's a positive in the case of those people.

Sorry if you felt like you had to prove yourself to her. That's the worst.

Hopefully when you go they will accommodate you the best possible and you find it manageable to get through <3

• Heart
I had my smear just last week. I'll be 40 next year and have suffered painful periods, smears and sex for years. I have been to the doctor so many times, crying in pain due to period cramps which seemed to centre around my lower back, trouble going to the toilet during my period etc. No one took any notice and I have been on the contraceptive injection for years to stop my periods which in turn, stops the pain. I self diagnosed with endo and have just been bearing it as best I can.

The nurse I had for my recent smear mentioned I had a tilted cervix. I told her I had never been advised of this at any other smear and she just shrugged and said that it 'normally' doesn't cause any problems.

After my appointment. I Googled tilted cervix and I cannot believe that after all these years, this is what was causing all the problems. Never once did any HCP ever suggest this may be a cause or any other nurse mention it at a smear! It is unbelievable!

Apologies, this turned into more of a brain dump but worth thinking about and absolutely push for a solution that works for you.

• Heart
  • Sad
My first thought when I thought saw the title was ‘I bet it’s a tilted cervix’ I found out I’d got one on my last smear too, I mentioned that during my last one they couldn’t find my cervix, I bled and nearly fainted 🤦🏼‍♀️ this nurse was brilliant, found it straight away, it’s just that mine tilts! I wish you could rebook a nurse like you can a hairdresser! It made such a difference, yes it’s still uncomfortable but I felt more at ease which really helped.

Hopefully you get a good one and mention any problems you’ve had before x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I had my smear just last week. I'll be 40 next year and have suffered painful periods, smears and sex for years. I have been to the doctor so many times, crying in pain due to period cramps which seemed to centre around my lower back, trouble going to the toilet during my period etc. No one took any notice and I have been on the contraceptive injection for years to stop my periods which in turn, stops the pain. I self diagnosed with endo and have just been bearing it as best I can.

The nurse I had for my recent smear mentioned I had a tilted cervix. I told her I had never been advised of this at any other smear and she just shrugged and said that it 'normally' doesn't cause any problems.

After my appointment. I Googled tilted cervix and I cannot believe that after all these years, this is what was causing all the problems. Never once did any HCP ever suggest this may be a cause or any other nurse mention it at a smear! It is unbelievable!

Apologies, this turned into more of a brain dump but worth thinking about and absolutely push for a solution that works for you.
Gosh this is horrible! Doctors very rarely take women’s pain seriously! I don’t know about tilted but last time the nurse mentioned I had a short cervix and may have mentioned tilted but to be honest I wasn’t really concentrating. Either way she didn’t seem too concerned about it.
Feel free to brain dump about your experiences! Hopefully the more women talk out the more we can support each other.
---
My first thought when I thought saw the title was ‘I bet it’s a tilted cervix’ I found out I’d got one on my last smear too, I mentioned that during my last one they couldn’t find my cervix, I bled and nearly fainted 🤦🏼‍♀️ this nurse was brilliant, found it straight away, it’s just that mine tilts! I wish you could rebook a nurse like you can a hairdresser! It made such a difference, yes it’s still uncomfortable but I felt more at ease which really helped.

Hopefully you get a good one and mention any problems you’ve had before x
I mentioned above in reply to another comment that the nurse last time mentioned a I had a short cervix and maybe mentioned something about a tilted one but being very anxious and in agony I wasn’t really paying attention haha. She never really followed it up or said it might cause an issue.
I’m getting nervous because the nurse said she’s get back to me about getting advice about if I need to see a gynaecologist for my pain but she hasn’t. As someone who has to spend a lot of time at the hospital and doctors for other medical issues I am so fed up with having to chase up doctors and nurses. It really makes you think they don’t care.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Sorry not sure it’s been mentioned but have you been tested for endometriosis?
I used to think my smear was meant to be incredibly painful and sex too turns out I have endometriosis

When I go for a smear now I tell the nurse and they are very gentle and use the smallest speculum they have

Never ever think this is an embarrassing topic
It’s your health
---
Plus I have apparently a weird cervix which is a bit hard to find whatever that means 😂

Reactions: 1
Hello ladies! Just got back from the test!
The nurse was so kind and gentle, honestly she’s one of the stars in the NHS (I’ve had to see many doctors and nurses over the years and it’s mostly been bad experiences). I was mistaken, it’s not a short cervix but a short vagina which has caused me problems she believes. I feel a bit weird like I have something wrong with me :(
She used a tiny speculum and even though it was very uncomfortable it was just about manageable. We only had to stop once and I started to cry but she reassured me and I was able to finish.
thank you so much for everyone’s advice and support. I don’t think I would have been able to do this without your help. Go tattle!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Sorry to hijack this! But I got a letter inviting me for a colposcopy and I am due to have my period at that time!! Do I tell them? Sorry for the stupid question!