Pain after getting contraceptive implant

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all

just after some advice or words of comfort please. I got the implant put in on Thursday and honestly my arm is still so sore. I had read about the procedure beforehand but I wasn’t prepared at all for how sore my arm would be after

the dr injected the arm to freeze it and then put the implant in. She said she’d put on a few paper stitches and then a bandage. I get the feeling I bled quite a lot though I didn’t look

its been 3 days and I’ve to take the bandage off soon and I’m terrified what it’ll look like. My arm still really hurts and if I move my arm in certain ways I get a really sharp pain as if somethings poking me.

is any of this normal? I really wish I hadn’t done it and now I’ve read horror stories about the removal too:eek: has anyone else had it?

I’ve included a pic of what it looks like with the bandage still on.
DC1BCEA0-A101-4ABE-AFC1-29CF377B2381.jpeg

No pain at all when I had mine and there was the smallest mark left under the plaster. The removal was painless too.

Any concerns ring your GP.

Reactions: 1
I had it but then had it removed a few months later. The only reason why was the hormones just weren't for me and I was still figuring it out.

I wouldn't say it hurt when I got it put in, but I definitely noticed it. I was like 16 though and my memory is foggy so it can't have been that bad if I don't remember.

I'd recommend calling your GP first thing to air out your concerns and don't get worked up over horror stories. Easier said than done though I know 😕

Reactions: 2
I’ve just had my third implant put in after being on a waiting list for 14 months for it to be taken out at a clinic as my GP couldn’t do it. I was really worried about the procedure as I heard a lot of horror stories but it was fine, they had to use an ultrasound to find it but luckily it was still at the top my skin. They used one needle to lift the implant out a little and used anaesthetic to numb the area, they showed me the little rod after and it was fully in tact still, I had a new one put in slightly more underneath my arm as apparently this is where they fit them now and I’m on my 6th day, I can’t lift my arm as I normally would but it’s generally ok, some tightness and bruising but no pain, the first day I couldn’t sleep on my arm but next day was fine. I have found I have massively broken out (spots wise) and felt a hormonal witch the last week haha but I’m also taking my pill for 7 days just so I’m protected. I find this is the best contraception for me and never had any problems with it over the years, I havnt had a period in 7 years ish, don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing but it works for me.

Hi all

just after some advice or words of comfort please. I got the implant put in on Thursday and honestly my arm is still so sore. I had read about the procedure beforehand but I wasn’t prepared at all for how sore my arm would be after

the dr injected the arm to freeze it and then put the implant in. She said she’d put on a few paper stitches and then a bandage. I get the feeling I bled quite a lot though I didn’t look

its been 3 days and I’ve to take the bandage off soon and I’m terrified what it’ll look like. My arm still really hurts and if I move my arm in certain ways I get a really sharp pain as if somethings poking me.

is any of this normal? I really wish I hadn’t done it and now I’ve read horror stories about the removal too:eek: has anyone else had it?

I’ve included a pic of what it looks like with the bandage still on.View attachment 481857
I had a big bruise too and it did hurt for a while, including feeling like something sharp was in my arm. I was quite surprised how brutal it was tbh. It did settle though and it has really helped me. I don't have periods at all thank god. I was on the contraceptive injection for years, but my GP said I couldn't have it any more and I was terrified I'd have periods which made my life a misery for around 3 weeks in every month.

It's early days, but if you are concerned, phone your GP and ask for reassurance. But I honestly felt just like you and thought I'd made a terrible mistake, but once it settled it was fine. You're supposed to keep an eye on it to check it hasn't disappeared which I find a bit grim. It feels really weird touching it in my arm and I'm not usually that squeamish. But it should settle. It's very early days and you're bruised still which is why it's sore, plus you undoubtedly tensed your arm and you're feeling the after affects of that. But ask your GP if you're still worried.

Hi all

I’ve included a pic of what it looks like with the bandage still on.View attachment 481857
I’ve had 3 implants in my time and they have all looked like this after they were put in. It’s normal to have bruising and it’s normal that it’s bled a little bit. Get the plaster off, get in the shower and give it a very gentle rinse & wash under warm water.
If it is your first one you might be aware if it under your skin. Give it a few days to settle in. If by the end of the week you still feel it’s not right then contact your GP and ask if they can check it.

I could never feel mine in my arm at all, I could feel it with my fingers if i pressed on it and I could always manipulate it under the skin to make either end protrude slightly under the skin but mine were never sore or “there” if that makes sense.

Thanks all for the replies, reassuring to hear some experienced the same, and found a few more forum posts elsewhere of others saying the same too.

It’s still quite sore, maybe a little bit better. I’ll just give it a week or so and see what I think. I really wanted this to help with my periods so I want to give it a chance, I just was not prepared for how sore it would be after!

Thanks all for the replies, reassuring to hear some experienced the same, and found a few more forum posts elsewhere of others saying the same too.

It’s still quite sore, maybe a little bit better. I’ll just give it a week or so and see what I think. I really wanted this to help with my periods so I want to give it a chance, I just was not prepared for how sore it would be after!
Not to scare you but when I had my first implant, my periods stopped initially for a few months and then started back up again and I literally bled every day for about 5 months.... not heavy bleeding all the time, some days it was very light but it was constant. After that it kind of tailed off and they stopped again completely for the rest of the time I had that implant but yeah, it can be up & down for a while so just be aware of that

I’m nearly at the end of my second implant and my “periods” are a bit random, but usually I get light bleeding every 2/3 months, followed by very heavy bleeding for about a week, then it tapers off to light again for agesss, until no bleeding.

I highly recommend the implant though, it’s so easy and convenient for me, and I wanted a progesterone only contraceptive.

Not to scare you but when I had my first implant, my periods stopped initially for a few months and then started back up again and I literally bled every day for about 5 months.... not heavy bleeding all the time, some days it was very light but it was constant. After that it kind of tailed off and they stopped again completely for the rest of the time I had that implant but yeah, it can be up & down for a while so just be aware of that
I've had various implants now for 10 years and this has just started happening to me. Never ever had an issue before. Glad to hear it tailed off I'm so sick of constantly being on.

I’m on my 3rd implant and my arm has looked like this every time For a good couple of weeks. It’s also been painful for a while, after all it is a massive bruise. I’d say it’s perfectly normal. Just keep it clean.

Reactions: 3
I'm on my 4th one now & I find it to be the best option out there at the mo. I'd only change if there was some sorta magic thing that made it so I'd never get a period or pregnant or any hormone ups/downs/spots 😹

It's totally normal to have a bruise and lil bit of blood and ache after. Did you take a paracetamol or anything if applicable? No harm in just doublechecking with GP for peace of mind!

Periods on it can be unpredictable but it is so awesome when you go months or years without any, at least that's what I think.

I had some pain for the first week or so and for a little while after if I knocked my arm it would take my breath too. I felt better after this but it didn't really suit me. I hope you feel better and it settles soon.