Outlander

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone please gossip with me about the good and bad.

Ginger gentleman wearing kilt, saving damsel and has the accent escapism wants right now. Id take him. 😂

Stated watching 3 weeks ago after a bad injury on amazon prime and the heritage and wants and loving of the series hasnt been felt since poldark tbh.

Reactions: 2
You need to read the books. So much much more than the tv show, although the series has fairly followed the followed the books, it’s missed so much. I first read the books many years ago, and they were amazing then.

Reactions: 3
It’s filmed where I live. I once got stopped by security going to pick up my daughter because they thought I was following the guy who stars in it! I keep meaning to watch it but never got around to it.

Loved this show when it started, but after a while it annoyed me having to wait so long between seasons. Got to the point I had forgotten what had happen in previous seasons when the new one started.

Bothered me when Jamie found out Claire was from the future. In the scene he never asked her what it was like. Thought that a bit strange and really thought they could have done more with that bit.

The love story between Claire and Jamie was good, but got tired of the constant naked love scenes after a while. I'm no prude, but at one point I was sure I had seen Claire's boobs more than my own.

• Haha
I started watching this series on/off during the summer and I like it so far. Jamie and Claire have such amazing chemistry and I like that the acting and writing makes me like both of them equally. I'm surprised it's gone on for so long!

Reactions: 1
Has everyone watched the trailer for Season 6? I think this is going to be a really good series 😍 with lots of action.

I loved the first season. I mean it when I say I was literally obsessed, so I read the books because I couldn’t wait for S2 to come out, and discovered that they were terrible. Meandering, nonsensical plots with more than a hint of racism and a sprinkling of ‘America! duck, yeah!’. I also hate how rape is used as a plot device. Anyway, I watched the first two 2 episodes of S6 for old times sake and was bored to tears. I think the two leads are over it and the chemistry has gone and how much more misery do we need to see heaped on them as a couple? I’d rather watch S1 six times than bother with any of the other seasons.

Reactions: 5
I loved the first season. I mean it when I say I was literally obsessed, so I read the books because I couldn’t wait for S2 to come out, and discovered that they were terrible. Meandering, nonsensical plots with more than a hint of racism and a sprinkling of ‘America! duck, yeah!’. I also hate how rape is used as a plot device. Anyway, I watched the first two 2 episodes of S6 for old times sake and was bored to tears. I think the two leads are over it and the chemistry has gone and how much more misery do we need to see heaped on them as a couple? I’d rather watch S1 six times than bother with any of the other seasons.
Same.. the first two episode of S6 are a tad boring. The addiction to ether for Claire to get over her trauma / rape is not sitting well with me. We all know Claire would never do this.

What are your thoughts on the first two episodes so far ?
So, I was super excited for it to start again because it has been a longgggg two years, so I was really disappointed when I got to the end of episode one and a) it had really felt like 90 mins (normally I get so lost in an episode that it never feels like enough time) and b) I wasn't blown away. I've since watched it a 2nd time, this time making a conscious effort to not go on my phone, and I enjoyed it more that time. Loved being 'back' in Scotland and the views in that opening scene. Loved being back on the ridge and back to family life - I think they do a great job of showing them as a tight, bonded family. Did not love Claire's use of ether! Especially the first time - as an experienced Doctor/Surgeon and knowing the risks of modern day anaesthetic, NO WAY would she trial her home brewed ether on herself AND without telling anyone, or having someone at least present. Also worried about its flammability! Ever since Bree returned to tell them about the fire, I see everything in every scene as a fire risk 😩😩 (I'm not a book reader so no idea what happens*). Do not love what they are doing with Fergus. I think from his boyhood character to now as a father, husband and as a son and friend, his character has so much potential and they don't show him off to his best. Also do not love the (return of) The Browns & Co or The Christies.

Ep 2 - I've gone on long enough, so quickly....Love having the Cherokee back (obsessed with their wardrobes) and think this story line will be really good. Adso is just ❤🤌🏻 Thought it was very sweet how Claire referred to Masali as her daughter. Really liked Masali's labour storyline and Fergus knowing the oldest tricks in the books that are now commonly used and recognised today but Claire being a bit prudish about it and not being of an era where such methods would be common. Malva is seriously giving me the creeps.

I'm so pleased you replied to me because I need people to talk to about this lol. Absolutely no one I know watches it even though I recommend it to everyone.

*At least, I wasn't when I first discovered Outlander TV series. The droughtlander made me start and I am just starting Voyager (book number three).

Reactions: 4
I didn’t get this far with the books. I gave up trying to get through The Fiery Cross, as the Gathering part at the start was interminable. Gabaldon is sorely in need of an editor but apparently one of her conditions for publishing is that no one can edit anything out. But back to my point - from what others have said, Fergus is staying pretty close to his character in the book, so you can blame the author for that one.

For me personally, I lost interest when they left Scotland. I don’t know why, but I’m not interested in Claire and Jamie as pioneers or them getting involved in the American wars. They don’t have to be involved in every major historical event and I miss the scenery of Scotland that was almost like another character (even though I know it’s still filmed there). It’s not the same for me.

Reactions: 4
I'm in the same boat no one near me watches the show. I've read all the books except the latest one. I read them awhile ago so , some they aren't fresh in my mind which I like when watching the show.

I do love Ian and Cherokee story. I want to see more of that.

I agree with @FrannyGallops , when they left Scotland it didn't appeal to me ,and I have gotten lost in the American History chapters.

I had to laugh when Fergus helped Marsali with her labour as I was a teenager when I found that out.
I didn't know that fact about Diana not having an editor for her books. She could do with one to remove heavy paragraphs that turn into chapters of description.

She could do with one to remove heavy paragraphs that turn into chapters of description
They’re so tedious. I skim read every book after the first one. Someone else complained on Twitter that they couldn’t get past the Gathering in TFC, and Gabaldon told them to just skip past it 😮 She introduces loads of characters that no one else gives a tit about and plots that don’t go anywhere. I do think the production company have done a brilliant job of whittling down what’s needed for the show, but they should have gone off piste and had them stay in Scotland. If they’re going to be pottering around for much of the plot, they could have done it at Lallybroch and I’m more interested in Jenny and Ian’s family than a host of people on the Ridge.

Just an aside I hated Bree in the books. She’s not much better in the show, but a lot less irritating than the books. I also think the books were intended to stop at no 4, but DG couldn’t let the characters go.

They’re so tedious. I skim read every book after the first one. Someone else complained on Twitter that they couldn’t get past the Gathering in TFC, and Gabaldon told them to just skip past it 😮 She introduces loads of characters that no one else gives a tit about and plots that don’t go anywhere. I do think the production company have done a brilliant job of whittling down what’s needed for the show, but they should have gone off piste and had them stay in Scotland. If they’re going to be pottering around for much of the plot, they could have done it at Lallybroch and I’m more interested in Jenny and Ian’s family than a host of people on the Ridge.

Just an aside I hated Bree in the books. She’s not much better in the show, but a lot less irritating than the books. I also think the books were intended to stop at no 4, but DG couldn’t let the characters go.
Same regarding book Bree .. when Show Bree was first introduced I realized how much I preferred book Bree , over the two versions.. i am slowing coming around to Show Bree. I keep telling myself that the Bree character is an annoying character , very full of herself..that's why she isn't my favourite.. don't get me started on her chemistry relationship with Rik R.

Shouldn't they have children now ?

Ohh see I quite like Bree. In the books I’ve read so far, she seems like a brat and although she does have bratty moments in the show, I think she comes across well. I like her and Roger when they are working together as a couple/team which they seem to be

I love Roger and Ian ❤❤

Just watched the clip from this weeks episode where Malva talks about her mother. Get anxious with the W word being thrown around 😬🧙🏻‍♀️

I like Roger. I love Rik Rankin and I liked Roger in the books, even though he’s Gabaldon’s whipping boy and regularly shown up to be not as good as Jamie in literally everything he does (although let’s see you drive a car, Jamie Fraser or set up a direct debit for the council tax, eh?). I think RR is also over Outlander though. I think it will end with S7, so I hope we find out how Jamie’s ghost appeared to Frank, coz I won’t be reading any more of the books.

• Haha
Malva is seriously giving me the creeps.
I knew I was right to be creeped out by Malva!! What a devious cow. Poisoning Claire, cutting her hair off and then trying to cause trouble between her and Jamie! I thought her Dad’s reaction to her being pregnant was kinda underwhelming considering how he’s come across so far. I also thought (from all the promo) that her brother would have a bigger part. Pretty grizzly end (was NOT expecting it at all - thought she was here to stay) but at least the baby doll got two uses in one episode🧐 Very intruiged as to who the Father actually was. Tempted to Google but I know I’ll be annoyed with myself. Still haven’t got any further with my book (Voyager).

Hey everyone. I’ve been asked over on this thread to discuss outlander! I’m a massive fan of the show and started watching it after coming out of hospital maybe in late 2018. Since then I’ve read all nine books, seen some of the filming, been around some locations, subscribed to a convention this summer and met some of the cast at the season six Glasgow premiere in March there. I probably bore people talking about it but I’m absolutely obsessed. It takes me to another world.

I’m really enjoying season six so far, it has been quite true to the books but excited with what’s to come in the final two episodes 🙂

• Heart
Hey everyone. I’ve been asked over on this thread to discuss outlander! I’m a massive fan of the show and started watching it after coming out of hospital maybe in late 2018. Since then I’ve read all nine books, seen some of the filming, been around some locations, subscribed to a convention this summer and met some of the cast at the season six Glasgow premiere in March there. I probably bore people talking about it but I’m absolutely obsessed. It takes me to another world.

I’m really enjoying season six so far, it has been quite true to the books but excited with what’s to come in the final two episodes 🙂
Oh I love this! I would really like to go on one of the tours. I found Outlander when I was in a really, really dark place and absolutely fell in love with it. Like you said, it takes me to another world.
I used to be a real book worm And thought I would storm through the books but am struggling with managing to concentrate so put Voyager down and decided not to pick it up again until I can really focus and enjoy it. I like the Outlander Cast podcast as an extra fix.

Who of the cast have you met? Were they nice or were any a let down to what you expected?

I was in a dark place when I found it too and had just spent several months in hospital under section. I was in a hospital in England and the nurse there told me she loved the highlands probably because I’m Scottish, so I took a note and watched it when I was home and discharged!

I’ve met Cait when she was filming in my home town for season five and she was really lovely, stopping to talk to us in her dressing gown before going to another location. Last month met John Bell and Lauren Lyle at the Glasgow Film Festival, Rik Rankin was there and stood in front of us but ignored us and went into a taxi. Haven’t met Sam, tried too outside the usher hall in Edinburgh but he was also quick into a taxi despite only ten people left standing. I’ve paid for a picture with him at the highlanders convention this July though so I best get my moneys worth then!

I also find it hard to concentrate on the books and although I do have hard copies on them - I tend to just listen to them on audible as it is much easier. Only problem is when you fall asleep and can’t find your place again 😂

They’ve just started filming season 7 last week and the good news is that it seems from the Midhope Castle page that they are going to be filming a lot there - back at Lallybroch. I know from the books why that is likely to be but saw someone comment above they wanted more scenes at Lallybroch so that’s something to look forward too, would be ace if Jenny can return for it!

• Heart