Opinions on piercing babies ears?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had my ears pierced since I was 6 months old. I just always remember having earrings and when I don’t have them in I feel bare. I wouldn’t do it to my own children though, I’d rather wait until they’re older and they tell me if they want it done or not. I didn’t have a choice, and while I like being able to wear nice earrings, I would’ve liked to have made the decision myself.

Reactions: 2
I had mine done as a baby but I don’t think I could personally bring myself to pierce my own baby’s ears 🙈

Reactions: 1
No chance
I have 2 girls and 4 boys
One daughter nagged from aged about 6 to have em done
She got them aged 11(between leaving primary/starting secondary)
2 of my boys had theirs done aged 11/12 (again in the 6 week hols) they both took them out and never bothered again
The rest just don’t want to and that’s fine
I honestly think people who think it’s cute piercing babies need their heads testing and those who do it should be done for abuse

Reactions: 4
I hate seeing babies with pierced ears, personally I think it needs to be outlawed and a minimum age for piercing ears set in law. I think 10 would be a reasonable age. Both my nieces had theirs done aged 7, both suffered multiple infections and ended up having to remove the studs and allow the holes to heal over. They have both been left with a degree of scarring which may make it more difficult for them to be re-pierced when they are older, if they decide that's what they want. I myself was made to wait until I was 16, which pissed me off at the time, but by that age I fully understood the necessity of proper after care and hygiene and because of this my pierced ears healed beautifully and I experienced no problems.

Unless done for medical reasons I’m totally against it. Not sure how anyone can condone genital mutilation
Indeed, I used to work as a medical secretary in a urology clinic and there is no benefit from circumcision unless it's done for medical reasons, one being paraphimosis. That can be extremely serious if not treated. As long as a man/boy is washing his penis properly each day there are no hygiene advantages to being circumcised either.

Last edited:
I saw the mama edits having her young daughters ears pierced on her stories this week and I thought it was dreadful! Unfollowed as a result. IMO there’s absolutely no need to pierce a child’s/baby’s ears and aside from the pain, i think it looks so chavvy.

Reactions: 2
I don’t like babies having their ears pierced but I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s child abuse.
I had to wait to have mine done at 8 so when I finally got them done, I was thrilled and thought I was the most grown up person ever. I think getting them done as babies takes away a lovely experience for the child when they’re old enough to understand and want them done.

Definitely child abuse in my eyes. If I took any adult against their will to a shop pin them down and have a blunt piece of metal rammed in their ears it would be assault at the very least. But because it’s my little fashion accessory of a child it’s ok? Nahhhh

Piercing with guns should be banned

Missmummyblog is another one who’s had her baby’s ears pierced
I wouldn’t expect anything less from that cretin. Disgusting women

Definitely child abuse in my eyes. If I took any adult against their will to a shop pin them down and have a blunt piece of metal rammed in their ears it would be assault at the very least. But because it’s my little fashion accessory of a child it’s ok? Nahhhh

Piercing with guns should be banned

I wouldn’t expect anything less from that cretin. Disgusting women
I know.

I have four daughter and never pieced their ears until they asked..... the older two were about 6...the middle one was 8 and the youngest still doesn’t have it and she’s not at all fused about having this done... I can’t stand to see baby’s ears pieced.... I think it’s cruel to Put them through pain like that.

I don’t have an issue with it but I do agree it needs to be done by a professional and be regulated.
I can’t get my head round the fact that places like Claire’s can do it. I mean what kind of training do they have

think it's horrific and it always make the poor bairn look like a right little charva - totally selfish of the parents

• Haha
Fact. Caflon recommends age 7 plus, when there is less chance of
A. Hitting and rupturing cartilage, which can run into to lobe
B. Uneven holes in growing lobes
C. Infection, or accidental disruption to the earing

I won't pierce pre 7, but I know plenty do.
And yes, obviously loads pierce their kids ears pre 7 and no ill effects. But Ive seen the bad results, and the training pics of shattered pierce sites.

I don't get worked up about it, but I won't do it!

Agreed with a lot of the comments above - looks chavvy, it’s unnecessary and should be up to the child to choose. No need for a child under 7 (ish) to have their ears pierced.