Office politics

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been at my job for 4 years and my colleague less than a year - we do the same job although I have a lot more experience.
I have been given a payrise very recently and said colleague hasn’t.
I have now been collared by colleague and outright asked if I’ve had a payrise. Very much on the spot and I felt cornered!!
I blagged it a bit but has anyone else had similar? I feel bad as on paper, we do the same job role. I have told my line manager and they agreed that I shouldn’t have been asked this info.
I hate confrontation so I panicked a bit lol

Reactions: 1
I’ve been at my job for 4 years and my colleague less than a year - we do the same job although I have a lot more experience.
I have been given a payrise very recently and said colleague hasn’t.
I have now been collared by colleague and outright asked if I’ve had a payrise. Very much on the spot and I felt cornered!!
I blagged it a bit but has anyone else had similar? I feel bad as on paper, we do the same job role. I have told my line manager and they agreed that I shouldn’t have been asked this info.
I hate confrontation so I panicked a bit lol
I personally wouldn't answer the question as it's none of their business. Wasn't fair on you to be asked either.
A lot of jobs will give pay rises the longer you have been there.
Whether people agree that it's fair or not. I guess they're also technically paying for experience.
My last job gave you a pay rise each year based on how long you had been there. So someone just starting was on less than me, even though they were doing the same job.
My partners job also do the same, however theirs is every 2 years. So he gets paid more than ones just starting. Even though they're doing the same job 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3