Offer on property.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What an odd thread.

What possible bearing could someone buying in Scotland seven years ago (one of the examples here) have on your own ongoing purchase in the South East? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 2
Can't remember figures now but both times we've bought houses we've offered the asking price, no messing about. Second time round the house we wanted was highly sought after, 17th century farmhouse and we knew we had a lot of competition but the competitors didn't have buyers for their houses yet. We hadn't sold our current house either but didn't want to lose out so we offered the asking price, got it accepted straight away and we rented out our other house until it finally sold about a year later. That was 8 years ago, in Yorkshire.

Reactions: 1
Maybe! At least you’re paying into a house you own and not lining landlords pockets like me though!
Off topic but I think it’s belittling when people say we’re throwing money away on rent. It’s not the ideal solution but I cannot afford to buy and we do get something to show for our money - a roof over our heads!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
What an odd thread.

What possible bearing could someone buying in Scotland seven years ago (one of the examples here) have on your own ongoing purchase in the South East? 🤷🏻‍♀️
I initially thought that but I think it’s more to do with the process of offering under asking price, gauging people’s expectations and how it’s worked in practice. A lot of countries don’t have the same process so it’s alien to some.

My last house was on for OIEO £210k. We had a few offers under and some over so it went to last and final offer. Sold for £225k (the underbid was significantly less) so it works both ways.

Reactions: 6
I initially thought that but I think it’s more to do with the process of offering under asking price, gauging people’s expectations and how it’s worked in practice. A lot of countries don’t have the same process so it’s alien to some.

My last house was on for OIEO £210k. We had a few offers under and some over so it went to last and final offer. Sold for £225k (the underbid was significantly less) so it works both ways.
You can just watch a few episodes of Location, Location, Location and you'll soon get the gist of how to offer under the asking price. It's really not rocket science. My first house was on for £60,000. I offered £52,000. Bought it for £55,000. Bottom line is if you want the house enough, you'll pay whatever the seller wants.

And the system is completely different in Scotland - it's either fixed price (rare) or offers over - therefore adding nothing to this debate if it is about how to offer under the asking price.

So I still don't get the point of this thread 🤷🏻‍♀️

Offer: £325k
Asking: £325k
Year: 2017
Area: Surrey, SE
Chain/no chain/FTB: We were FTB and they were selling with no ongoing chain.

It took 3 months but we had complications their side as the owner had taken out an equity release policy and needed documentation to avoid fees.

We love our house and after a full renovation costing £18k we’ve added £100k to it. I work in property in the SE so happy to help if I can.

You can just watch a few episodes of Location, Location, Location and you'll soon get the gist of how to offer under the asking price. It's really not rocket science. My first house was on for £60,000. I offered £52,000. Bought it for £55,000. Bottom line is if you want the house enough, you'll pay whatever the seller wants.

And the system is completely different in Scotland - it's either fixed price (rare) or offers over - therefore adding nothing to this debate if it is about how to offer under the asking price.

So I still don't get the point of this thread 🤷🏻‍♀️
Curiosity maybe?

I think lower cost properties are probably more likely to sell for the asking price as people can probably afford them . They will negotiate with a lower offer on a more costly property to get it into budget.

We looked at a house that was offers over 150k and offered that, so did 3 other viewers. Agents say seller wants more than 165k for it . I don't understand why they didn't just ask that then ( we are in England) . I bet if there was no interest they would have took the 150k as that was likely plenty to cover the mortgage.

Offer: £155k
Asking: £155k
Year: 2017
Area: Sheffield
Chain/no chain/FTB: No chain. The houses in our area actually go for around 50k more but our house needed/still needs a lot of work doing. We got lucky as we live in a really nice area as well.

I would have no chance of buying if we lived in the South 😱

My grandparents brought my house for me as an investment when I was 18.

We offered: £4750000
Asking price: £5000000
Year: 2006
Area: Central London

We’ve recently brought a second home out of London and it was:

We offered: £2230000
Asking price: £2250000
Year: 2020
Area: Norfolk

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
What an odd thread.

Well I am asking this because I am just curious, I didn't ask how and how much should I offer and totally get that every property is different. 🥴 is pretty much an open thread

How can anyone get offended over someone asking a question on a thread? 🙈

I find it quite interesting seeing all the different prices lol.

Reactions: 5
How can anyone get offended over someone asking a question on a thread? 🙈

I find it quite interesting seeing all the different prices lol.
Not offended, I just think it's pointless if you take it in the context of the opening post. Why would what someone offered and paid for a house in Birmingham ten years ago have any bearing on your current purchase in the South East....? Means absolutely duck all.

Now, if they'd opened with "I'm just being bleeping nosy...." then I wouldn't have said anything at all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Hi! I am very interested to know how much you guys offer for your house (property) and how much the asking price was. And what year was it and area. Sorry if this sounds nosy, we are in the midst of buying in South East and we both moved to the UK 10 years back, sadly we don’t really have friends and family to ask this question.

Perhaps something like this?

Offer:
Asking:
Year:
Area:
Chain/no chain/FTB:
Where abouts are you looking to buy in the South East?

Are you looking on rightmove?

Offer: 360k
Asking: 370k
Year: 2015
Area: Kent
Chain/no chain/FTB: chain

The sellers were keen to sell as had an investment opportunity. We had a buyer, who had a buyer and all mortgages were pre agreed in principle. Another couple had offered more than us but weren’t in as good a position to buy as us. The house had only been on the market 3 days. We sold our old house for full asking price, we were on the market for a long time but I wasn’t that fussed on moving so was holding out.

You’re all so rich 😭
Not necessarily....I’ve been lucky, first purchase in 1998 for a whopping 55k, sold it 3 years later for 127k and bought another property for 150k, sold it ten years later for 300k and then bought for 360k. House currently valued at 500k so I have a 500k house which in reality cost me 138k

Can someone please enlighten me about property in the West Glasgow area 👏🏻
Hoping to buy in two years time (first time buyer) probably in Knightswood area or anywhere on one of the west train lines for easy access into the City for commuting. I assumed when it states online (offers over) it would be minimum a few thousand over this?
Is it best to look at property in the area you wish to buy and make note of how much it sells for in comparison to what it is advertised as online?
You can tell I’m a complete novice!!
Many thanks ☺ (Hoping to buy in Glasgow as Edinburgh is extortionate in comparison).

Can someone please enlighten me about property in the West Glasgow area 👏🏻
Hoping to buy in two years time (first time buyer) probably in Knightswood area or anywhere on one of the west train lines for easy access into the City for commuting. I assumed when it states online (offers over) it would be minimum a few thousand over this?
Is it best to look at property in the area you wish to buy and make note of how much it sells for in comparison to what it is advertised as online?
You can tell I’m a complete novice!!
Many thanks ☺ (Hoping to buy in Glasgow as Edinburgh is extortionate in comparison).
You’re right in terms of paying over - expect to pay well over asking for anywhere within a stone’s throw of Jordanhill. Knightswood is probably a little less overpriced, but Anniesland, Scotstoun etc is still just getting pricier as they gentrify it, and any further east and you’re starting to get into Studentville. Your best bet would be to see what has been sold recently and for how much over, and maybe speak to local property offices about any offers on properties you’re interested in.

Reactions: 3
You’re right in terms of paying over - expect to pay well over asking for anywhere within a stone’s throw of Jordanhill. Knightswood is probably a little less overpriced, but Anniesland, Scotstoun etc is still just getting pricier as they gentrify it, and any further east and you’re starting to get into Studentville. Your best bet would be to see what has been sold recently and for how much over, and maybe speak to local property offices about any offers on properties you’re interested in.
Thank you so much for the response. I’m actually not familiar with some areas of Glasgow but have been looking at properties for a long time and roughly guesstimating what I would need to put down, how much I would be left with after mortgage, bills etc.

My brother lived in the East and it was really nice however with where I’m hoping to eventually end up working- I don’t want to have a commute via the train/bus any longer than 40 minutes, especially since I would need to be at work for around 6.45-7am roughly. Hence the west being appealing! 😉

Thank you for the advice again. Will make some notes on several of the areas just to have a rough idea of what’s expected. All the areas you have mentioned are all areas I’ve been mainly focusing on. ☺

I work in the property industry and would advise holding out if you can. The market is expected to drop quite drastically in autumn so if you can hold out until then do it. We always offer lower than the asking price. It pays to be cheeky in property. You are best looking at the recently sold prices of the houses on the street/area you want to buy and see how much they went for. At the moment, in the North West where we buy, a lot of house prices have shot through the roof during the pandemic. So it’s ideal for us to sell but, not buy. Also, if you are lucky enough to be a cash buyer then this will make a massive difference. We recently purchased a house up at £550k for £500k as it was a cash sale.
They go through a lot quicker and it was an inheritance sale so they wanted the money quick. Also, with estate agents you are best saying what you want to offer, I wouldn’t ask them what they think the seller expects/wants. Go in confident with your figure, you might feel cheeky but, usually it pays off.

Asking price started at 140k in 2014, dropped to 120k in 2016
We bought it for 115k in 2017 (did us right over with the amount of work it's eventually needed 🤣)
Three bed detached house in Carmarthenshire
After a full reno I'd say we are close to 175k with the way the current market around here is!

South East
asking price - £500k
offered £475k

genuinely didn’t think they‘d accept and i was prepared to go higher as I loved the house.
when they accepted I did a little dance of joy!