Notting Hill carnival

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Over 2 million in attendance this year!

Reports coming out of 8 stabbings, 75 police officers injured, including officers being urinated on, bitten and sexually assaulted. Footage of a lad running amok with a machete.

Doorbell footage released of multiple revellers using someone's front garden as a toilet.

What are everyone's thoughts on the future of the carnival? Should it be banned / moved to another location / left alone? What are your experiences of the carnival? Would you recommend the carnival to family and friends?

I've only been once years ago, it was OK for the most part but I got caught in a massive crush, scared the life out of me feeling like I couldn't breathe and not being able to move in a sea of people. No idea what caused it, or whether it was just too many people in a bottleneck. Put me right off going again.

Reactions: 1
I've only been once years ago, it was OK for the most part but I got caught in a massive crush, scared the life out of me feeling like I couldn't breathe and not being able to move in a sea of people. No idea what caused it, or whether it was just too many people in a bottleneck. Put me right off going again
I’ve been before and my experience was the exact same as yours, absolutely packed in certain areas to the point where I just ended up feeling stressed and crushed.
Don’t think it should be banned as some say, but every single year there seem to be the same issues with overcrowding. I think more and more people are attending it each year so they need to plan it better if it’s to continue.

Reactions: 2
I think it should be moved and become ticketed to crack down on crime. There’s far too many people attending now and it’s clear the police are way out of the depth policing it. The fact businesses have to literally shore up their shops is also insane.

Reactions: 6
I despise the carnival. I've never been however I used to live on the carnival route and it was absolute hell. People don't give a damn about peoples property or houses.

Personally I think its time its moved and ticketed to get a better handle of things. If BTS in Hyde Park had as much crime/damage as the carnival, it'd be stopped in an instant.

Reactions: 4
I despise the carnival. I've never been however I used to live on the carnival route and it was absolute hell. People don't give a damn about peoples property or houses.

Personally I think its time its moved and ticketed to get a better handle of things. If BTS in Hyde Park had as much crime/damage as the carnival, it'd be stopped in an instant.
One of my friends lives on the route and had someone literally take a tit on her doorstep.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
I'm also of the opinion to move it, it's way out of control in terms of numbers. Would be a real shame if it got stopped but something does need to be done.

I was gobsmacked at the amount of people going to the toilet in that residents front garden.

Do you reckon if it got moved, it would still be free (albeit still requiring a ticket)?

I’ve been twice more than 15 years ago. The second year we decided to leave earlier after a girl got beaten up by other girls in the toilet queue. Walking out of the area someone tried to mug one of my friends- I’m still not sure what possessed me to stop them as they could have easily had a knife.

I also used to work in a B&B on the edge of the carnival area and every year the local council would pay for elderly resident who lived on the route of the carnival to stay for 2 nights in the hotels just outside of the area. In those days there were always a lot of police patrols around and they’d pop in to have a cup of tea at the hotel which made staff feel a little safer.

The first day of the festival is a lot more family friendly but the second day needs re-thinking and making safer as it doesn’t work within the area. I dread to think how much it must impact on the locals.

Reactions: 3
One of my friends lives on the route and had someone literally take a tit on her doorstep.
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Some of the damage and just disgusting behaviour I saw....I was so pleased to finally get out of the area.

Notting Hill Carnival isn't just a street party, it's a direct response to the race riots in the area in 1959.

It's also a celebration of West Indian culture. It's as much an act of resistance and resilience as anything else. That makes it relevant to the area it's held in.

For a non ticketed event thats open to all with no staff in the form of stewards or security guards, the crime rate is low. Especially when we compare to the few events of the same size which ARE ticketed and manned.

I agree that the police presence is low and think while it should remain free, there should be a ticketing system and something to prevent people bringing weapons. They should also employ stewards etc to support police presence.

It doesn't make sense from a point of safety to have 2 million people all gathered with relatively little security.

Have to say I lol at this, people were outraged a young child was gyrating and smoking a joint , his parent should be charged 😂

I went about 12 years ago in my early 20s and it was a horrible experience, similar to what others have said, just way too many people and the worst almost crush I’ve ever been in. It just felt unsafe and I also saw people treating the area poorly aswell.

The friends I went with didn’t seem to share my concerns, but interestingly they have never suggested going again.

I just think they need to find a way to limit the numbers and I’m surprised to hear they dont seem to have taken steps towards that in all these years.
---
People don’t realise how dangerous this stuff can be.

Reactions: 1