Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Well since it’s new thread time, hoping there’s something for everyone in this suggestion and I can achieve cross community consent 🤪

God save the King and the Orange Order,
Up the Wolfe Tones and the Sea Border 👍

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

timemoveson

Chatty Member
really need a handhold right now - my wee granny has had to go back to the hospital on doctors' orders 😖💔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

BANRÍON

I think the younger generation.. like the under 25’s think it is all a bit of craic but I think from my perspective I don’t view the RA as a bunch of nice lads. I view them as murderers. And I get that people feel the same way about loyalists or. RUC etc. I actually think the way paddy Kielty explained the thing in that interview he did a couple of months ago kind of explained it better than I can.
But thats it - YOU view them as murderers. But the IRA fought for independence in Ireland long before the troubles happened, and those men and women are commemorated and celebrated. I also view the British army as murderers but have to listen to rule britannia at every football match i attend! I dont think you could happily stand at a bonfire watching flags and effigies getting burnt, and people singing violent songs about killing catholics around children and then be like "oh ah up the ra makes me uncomfortable". Different strokes for different folks. There is always going to be something that makes anyone from each side uncomfortable.

ETA - we also have to remember that without the British state and their past, there would be no IRA. And the Wolfe Tones would just be regular wee old men not making a killing on tickets at 80 years old, and we would be missing out on all the bangers hahaha.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Lovecrisps

Chatty Member
Sorry to go back to yesterday's news - I managed about 20 minutes of the shite on GB news yesterday. Like an amateur production. TV footage was crap, they'd no idea when anyone was ready to go live to, and Arlene kept saying "if I'm not mistake this is ...." only for about 20 seconds later her to go "oh, I am mistaken that's actually ..... band instead" 🙄

Aside from all that it struck me, as a Belfast prod, how divisive it is in many ways - firstly against the nationalist community which we've all acknowledged and understand, but also also worh middle class prods too. I see real snobbery among my prod peers about these people not being like them. Most middle-class prod areas empty to Donegal or the North Coast where everyone walks around proud of themselves for not being "like that" and mocking the parades. To be honest I also had a good laugh at the people out parading and watching and probably did think of myself as "better" than them.

I wonder how much this then leads to the loyalist community digging their heels in even more about the whole thing as they feel so much slipping away from them - we're heading to a UI at some point in their lifetime, their boys leave secondary schools with little prospect of good employment, their communities are overrun with drugs (the latter two I'm thinking of working class protestant estates). It's such a shame their leaders don't see the real things that would make a difference for people.

Rambling thoughts over.

VioletBear

VIP Member
What I miss about the pandemic…people having to stay 2m from you in shops, people not being able to call in unannounced, not having to go to 9 million kids parties, not having to attend any family gatherings out of duty…basically all the social stuff 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart

LurkingLuke

VIP Member
My wains are away at Teelin atm 🙈🤣 They got their berets at Gaeltacht last year, they should be at balaclava level by the end of next week.
I have fond memories of Gaeltacht. I also completed both levels Nora & at the end I was given my cupla focal fáinne & an AK47 for my achievements. Wholesome days in Donegal 😆
(Nobody tell them that really we were up to our eyes in spud dinners, ceile dancing & slaps on the wrists for speaking English 🥲)

• Haha

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Hope your Granny is on the mend soon @timemoveson ❤

I think my darling son is under the impression he has me blocked from his Instagram stories 🤔 He appears to be on some kind of booze cruise escapade and has a girl sitting on his lap 😰 sweet suffering Christ 🤦🏼‍♀️ he’s in Santa Ponsa btw just in case anyone thinks he’s on a cruise across the foyle 😩😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
Belfast Pride: Officers told not to wear police uniforms https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66201072

Someone has leaked this to BBC to stir the pot.

Have to say, I agree with wee Bobby here. Particularly as the theme of this years pride event is “stand by your trans”.

Personally, I can’t get behind a blanket support of trans issues as I believe some are an attack on women’s rights. TERF me all you want 🤣

monga

VIP Member
Desperation.....Hopefully some of them have wised up but until the OO is disbanded my views will never change, if that was a hate fest against any other people there'd be uproar, shows the British government's views haven't changed much when they support these outdated fascists.

Heidi88

VIP Member
What strikes me is that on St Patrick's day the Irish celebrate the tricolour and being Irish. You would never see a union jack being burned. It's all about Irishness. But on the 12th Unionists cant just celebrate being British they have to burn Irish flags too.

• Haha

Wee Nora

VIP Member
I don't think attending a bonfire makes you a bitter person who isn't getting on with things. I'm a "protestant" and I use that term loosely as I'm more of a nationalist, probably the worst prod in the country. I'm married to a Catholic and have kids that play gaelic. We all went to the bonfire - watched the fireworks before it and saw it get lit, then went home to bed... (they wanted it more than me, it's not something we ever did growing up) we all went to watch a bit of the 12th parade too (again could count on one hand the amount of 12ths I've been to, my family aren't very orange, despite being protestant. My very catholic mil goes every year though)
I don’t think most people care about bonfires but that one in Moygashel had Jamie Bryson as a guest speaker so the stage had been set and everyone knew what type of event it would be. Lo and behold they went on to burn the Irish flag and posters of Leo Varadker. I make no secret of the fact I want to live in a United Ireland, I’m Irish and always have been but I don’t need to burn anyone else’s flag or stomp my way down anyone’s street to prove it. As for glorifying terrorists, it doesn’t get more blatant than Bloody Sunday soldiers being honoured with medals for bravery and MBEs from the Queen 😉 I can either acknowledge the hurt that causes to the people in my home town and move on or I can burn a few Union jacks and teach my children bitterness. I know which one I choose ☘

• Heart
  • Sick

BigMavis

VIP Member
Quote. TUV for newsletter on the hatred for the Twelfth.
"The fact that tens of thousands of protestants and unionists dare to have the actual audacity to not only exist but come out and celebrate a couple of days a year - and have the cheek to celebrate with a display of artistic and musical ability which is unmatched not only by nationalism but in the whole of Europe - is what really annoys some people."

Artistic and musical ability? Unmatched?
Europe?
The tourism figures for the twelfth must be huge, we have the best artists and musicians in Europe after all.

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Wee Nora

VIP Member
Quote. TUV for newsletter on the hatred for the Twelfth.
"The fact that tens of thousands of protestants and unionists dare to have the actual audacity to not only exist but come out and celebrate a couple of days a year - and have the cheek to celebrate with a display of artistic and musical ability which is unmatched not only by nationalism but in the whole of Europe - is what really annoys some people."

Artistic and musical ability? Unmatched?
Europe?
The tourism figures for the twelfth must be huge, we have the best artists and musicians in Europe after all.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph unmatched musical ability? They absolutely have to be taking the piss 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Never heard a worse racket in my life, would rather listen to a bunch of year 8s playing their recorders for the first time 😂 Take it they don’t get out much and have never been to a seisúin 🤣
---
They believe they can renegotiate the WF. They want a wall. Nothing else will do. Never interrupt your enemies when they're making a mistake 🤫
They turned down Theresa May’s deal which avoided a Sea Border, they were instrumental in her demise. The smugness of them going into No 10 😂 They wanted Brexit and this is it. They’re renegotiating nothing, play stupid games, win stupid prizes 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha

monga

VIP Member
Carla enjoying the parade but most likely no delicious tray bakes. I'm not making light of this its tragic and she's been validated this week.
Belly full of hate leaves no room for cake 🍰…Old Chinese proverb, so I’m told 🤓

• Haha

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
Young girl (26 I think) in my office full of chat the other day about attending the 12th and taking her 1 year old, all excited. Took all I had in me not to ask WHY? but I was afraid of a complaint. I don’t get it. Genuinely I don’t get it. It’s a hate fest. I’m in a mixed relationship and my other half has never been to an 11th night bonfire or a 12th parade, his mother would never allow it.

I can’t bear to watch the hate being bred into the younger generation. Why are we still here? They hold the country to ransom several times a year and I’ve had enough. I’m still reeling after reading all about the history of Drumcree. My mother brought us up to be accepting of others and I do think she shielded us from a lot of the troubles from not talking about it in our house but as an adult I wish I’d been more aware. Working on it now though.
---
She doesn't care about women if they're cultural Catholics or an ethnicity she doesn't like.
This is it for me. In particular the DUP and TUV don’t like anyone who’s not a heterosexual Protestant who swears allegiance to the King (still weird saying that). They are not excepting of any culture, creed or ethnicity other than their own. They are hypocrites in every single way.

Wee Nora

VIP Member
You know Derry is a smoke control zone? I’d be threatened with a £1k fine from the council for burning wood in my wood burner to heat my home as it interferes with air quality 🤔 suppliers are only meant to sell smokeless fuel yet somehow burning 200ft of painted paletts is grand though. Ok.

• Haha
  • Heart