Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm Scottish, live in Glasgow and don't recognise any of this stuff that various posters had claimed has happened!!! Particularly not the Twitter posts claiming that English people will rounded up and sent back to England.

Anybody with an ounce of common sense would realise that a large number of English people living in Scotland actively support independence. For a lot of them it seems to be part of reason they've left England.

I've no doubt that there are tensions between people who want independence and people who don't. But I genuinely feel that some posters are gilding the lily here.

If anybody has suffered people shouting at them for having an English accent, that should be reported to the police.

Personally, I am a supporter of independence but not a supporter of Nicola Sturgeon. But there's no doubt the SNP have now lost their figure head and have potentially troubled times ahead.
I’m sorry but do you walk around with your eyes shut? I’m Scottish and live in Glasgow and the hatred and divide the national movement has caused is disgusting.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I’m sorry but do you walk around with your eyes shut? I’m Scottish and live in Glasgow and the hatred and divide the national movement has caused is disgusting.
Sorry but I don't think the hatred and divide is specifically caused by the independence movement.

I think it's caused by having a UK government which doesn't reflect the wishes of the Scottish people and the general toxic politicali ssues in the UK e.g. Brexit.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I was in Glasgow a couple of weeks back, there was a homeless person or beggar sat in nearly every shop doorway on Argyle St.
It was shocking and sad to see.
Rubbish everywhere
Roads that a 3rd World Country would be ashamed of
Homelessness figures at an all time high
9,000 children in temporary accommodation
1 in 5 living in poverty in Scotland
Highest drug death rate in the Western World over the best part of 2 decades
Bent Ferry contracts, secret loans, missing funds, not to mention the state of Scottish NHS under Humza Useless a failed transport minister who almost destroyed the rail network

These are just some of the SNP's legacy of being in power for so long.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Sorry but I don't think the hatred and divide is specifically caused by the independence movement.

I think it's caused by having a UK government which doesn't reflect the wishes of the Scottish people and the general toxic politicali ssues in the UK e.g. Brexit.
Erm that would be the independence movement...freedom from the oppressive English. And I am sorry but why the duck would you want to remain the EU, I lived in Scotland uk, since 1967, could move freely around the world (in fact went on a few holidays to various countries in Europe, never an issue, never a problem, then came the EU, fkn rules for banannas, jfc, and that was only the start.

Nope the recent GRC bill really was a wake up call, a man can rape a woman. get charged as a man, then get convicted as a woman and go to an all female prison...and yes whilst that particular case has been resolved, it was setting a dangerous precedent.

But what I feel is more concerning is that Nicola Sturgeon didn't actually care about trans rights, womens rights or anything else, all she has ever done is try to manipulate people into voting for her and erg independence, regardless of what the outcome for everyday people is. I honestly believe that bill was passed in Scotland, full in the knowledge that Westminster would block it and Nicola thought that would give her a powerful indyref2 lever, "omg the nasty westminster are blocking the wish of the Scottish people) when in fact, very few people wanted the full (without amendments) bill to pass and sorry but I think it was the bullying nature of SNP politics that got it through holyrood)

She gambled..she lost.
---

Sorry please lay out the wishes of the Scottish people and please do tell us why we want to be in the EU..I don't

Reactions: 10
I was in Glasgow a couple of weeks back, there was a homeless person or beggar sat in nearly every shop doorway on Argyle St.
Rubbish everywhere
Bent Ferry contracts, secret loans, missing funds, not to mention the state of Scottish NHS under Humza Useless a failed transport minister who almost destroyed the rail network

The city is an utter dump now and far too many unsavoury characters around. Will always be my home city but long term looking at leaving.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Rubbish everywhere

Totally agree!!! But the UK has spent £25b on the Elizabeth Line in London and H2 is estimated to cost £100b.

The total scottish budget is £53b

There is money in UK available for some places!!!

Reactions: 4
Thank you for correcting my oversight in not correctly blaming the UK government for everything bad that happens in Scotland and not joining the dots back to Brexit!

I’m not a Brexit supporter, but I’m not naive enough to (a) respect the outcome of a democratic vote and (b) realise that if Scotland had achieved independence we would have probably voted for our own Sexit, given Scotland at the time was not a recognised member state of the EU (it was that dastardly UK that was the member).

Anyway we are where we are, Nicola has resigned for reasons truly only known by her, she has done good and bad in her time and her successor has big shoes to fill and a lot of
tough decisions to make. Rather them than me!
---
The city is an utter dump now and far too many unsavoury characters around. Will always be my home city but long term looking at leaving.
Our council is to blame for the shambles the city has become, it’s filthy and if you ever dare venture around the streets near central station you’re a brave man/woman

Reactions: 6
Totally agree!!! But the UK has spent £25b on the Elizabeth Line in London and H2 is estimated to cost £100b.

Scotland does very well out of the budget and gets the most per head. That's indisputable. No matter how much people say it's not invested in and all its money stolen. That just isn't true.

Reactions: 7
tbf there are approx 6 million people live in Scotland, over 60 million in the rest of the UK, I would think it would be obvious that the rest of the UK as a whole would cost more than Scotland alone.

And you might want to break down the per capita costs and benefits, that tells a different story...bowing out of this thread tonight though, because I was hoping that today's news was going to be the end of Scottish negativity, and really don't want to get into any silly arguments.

I stand by my previous statements, that I really wish that everyone could work together for the benefit of all, not just for their own agenda.

The absolute shite written in the last few pages and using some bigots blog as justification independence supporters hate the English. 🤣

I admit a few independence supporters are unsavoury and they let the side down but its not everyone. I could use the example of the rabid English commenters on The Daily Mail website as evidence the English hate the Scottish but that would be silly as those morons are a minority.

Why our counties can't just live in harmony as two independent countries in 2023 is beyond me.

• Heart
For me, it's simple.

The UK as a whole is broke!!! Worse deficit than the second world war.

So why, if Scotland does well out of UK (alluding to gets more money than it puts in), why does the UK want to hold onto Scotland???

Surely they would save money getting rid of us???

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Sorry, but the things I listed are well within the SNP Govt's remit, they have the funds but everything has been focused on "Independence or Nothing", gender projects, Lorna Slater's latest, crazy deposit your rubbish scheme, £250m squandered on non-existent vital Ferries for our Island communities.
Just think what that £250m could have done to help the most vulnerable in society.
Sturgeon was a busted flush & she realised it.
I respect her service to the country & her skills as an orator but quite glad to see her go now.

Reactions: 9
For me, it's simple.

The UK as a whole is broke!!! Worse deficit than the second world war.

So why, if Scotland does well out of UK (alluding to gets more money than it puts in), why does the UK want to hold onto Scotland???

Surely they would save money getting rid of us???
If the whole of the UK were given a vote then they probably would vote to let Scotland go it's own way.
Politicians don't because it will be way bigger mess unwinding a 300 year union than brexit.
It's not because the English are robbing blind the Scottish, despite what the SNP propaganda makes certain people believe.

Reactions: 6
Nice little suggestions list here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64648987

(Please not Joanna Cherry 😖).
What’s wrong with Joanna Cherry?
---
A lot seems to go to the South East it seems. All I want for the West Country is decent transport links. I don’t drive and in rural areas buses are non existent. The trains haven’t been updated since 400 B.C and the only other option is taxis which are expensive.
---
I stand by my previous statements, that I really wish that everyone could work together for the benefit of all, not just for their own agenda.
I totally agree. I really wish this can happen in the future.

Last edited:
Rubbish everywhere

I'm Scottish but have lived in England for over 30 years (we moved for hubby's job), still visit our relatives in Scotland and planned to retire there but sadly see how standards have fallen over the years. I'm also shocked at the state of Glasgow, what must tourists think, it used to stand a proud and beautiful city.

tbf there are approx 6 million people live in Scotland, over 60 million in the rest of the UK, I would think it would be obvious that the rest of the UK as a whole would cost more than Scotland alone.

And you might want to break down the per capita costs and benefits, that tells a different story...bowing out of this thread tonight though, because I was hoping that today's news was going to be the end of Scottish negativity, and really don't want to get into any silly arguments.

But the whole point of politics is to vote for what you think will benefit you.

I'm in my 50s, work for a voluntary organisation and care for my elderly mum.

I'm going to vote for parties who promise increased pensions and prioritise health and social care.

If you own a business that provides health services, you don't want the government putting money into the NHS cos you want the business.

I'll never vote Tory because they don't offer what I want. But I live in Scotland so I end up with a Tory government. Hence why I voted for Scottish independence.

Now, it might be that in an independent Scotland, we still end up with a Tory parliament (highly unlikey - Scotland hasnt voted a tory major for over 60yrs). But that's different to having another country making decisions for you.

Reactions: 1
its unpleasant being a Scot, who doesn't support them! and what abuse you can be subjected to!
THIS!
I had to report my manager at the time for the abuse given to me during the independence campaign for daring to say I wasn’t in support.
Anyone I have come across that are yes voters they seem to think it’s ok to talk down my own views and will refuse to even discuss it’s always talk at me.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.