Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Of course this raises the spectre of Salmond getting more airtime. As much as Nicola leaves me cold, I find Salmond a pretty disgusting individual.

Reactions: 8
I am very happy right now. I am not surprised she is resigning. Ironically a trans woman was probably the cherry in top of her tit show cake. I don’t believe recent events haven’t played a part in her going. She is just too arrogant to admit she was wrong!

Reactions: 7
I just hope that whoever replaces her just stops with the indyref2 for now. Scotland may have had a chance of going it alone in the 70's when the oil was first discovered, we could have had a Norwegian economy, but it's way too late for that and considering that the success of the SNP in recent times has been bolstered by the Greens, that puts fossil fuels out of the equation.

The division and hatred caused by the indyref in 2014, still simmers today and there needs to be a stop to it. We need, as united nations of the UK to work together to solve the issues and create a better future for everyone, and no, I have no clue how to do that, and I don't think any political party have the will or ability to do that, but splitting the UK up is not the answer.

The constant bleating from the SNP about wanting to be in Europe, why? Their main argument for independence is base on not being ruled by democratically elected politicians in Westminster, yet they seem quite happy to be ruled by unelected quangos in Brussels. That seems totally counterproductive to me, and we wouldn't meet the requirements to rejoin the EU anyway. I don't know if the SNP thought that by remaining in the EU they would continue to receive handouts, erm nope, those days are well gone, the EU itself is struggling and I think ultimately it will be a failed experiment.

Finally I would so like to see and end to the xenophobia and hate towards England and the English, it really boils my piss, particularly when it is claimed that the Scottish are the friendliest and least hateful people in the world..unless you live south of Birmingham (the northerners get a pass from the hate because they are apparently just as oppressed as the Scottish :eyeroll

• Heart
Reactions: 22
When a politician take divisive ideologies too far, they also divide their supporters. SNP started with the children against parents, then the Named persons scheme that was rejected by the Supreme Court and they implemented anyway, then they created loads of wee silly laws supposedly to protect DV victims, but they are totally ineffective if there’s a child involved (they created a mediation service where the victim has to accept the abuser and the children learn that abuse is ok), then they wanted to give drugs for free for addicted people and now the latest is the trans row. They split completely the lgbt community, what a mess! SNP stereotyped them, used them, just like they have been doing with every vulnerable group since they stepped in. It’s all about votes, it’s all about their names on books, it’s all they talk about. Just pay attention. It’s all about “going down in history”.

Finally I would so like to see and end to the xenophobia and hate towards England and the English, it really boils my piss, particularly when it is claimed that the Scottish are the friendliest and least hateful people in the world..unless you live south of Birmingham (the northerners get a pass from the hate because they are apparently just as oppressed as the Scottish :eyeroll
Absolutely this. I am English, have lived in Scotland since 2013, and during the first indyref I was shouted at multiple times simply for being English, including being told to go home (home was a tenement in Edinburgh so I'm not sure it would have had the desired effect). More recently I have seen people on twitter saying they can't wait until the English get kicked out when Scotland is independent and that they will help "round them up". It's actually low-key frightening to think what they would do if indy happened to people like me, who live, work, pay taxes in Scotland but have an English accent.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Absolutely this. I am English, have lived in Scotland since 2013, and during the first indyref I was shouted at multiple times simply for being English, including being told to go home (home was a tenement in Edinburgh so I'm not sure it would have had the desired effect). More recently I have seen people on twitter saying they can't wait until the English get kicked out when Scotland is independent and that they will help "round them up". It's actually low-key frightening to think what they would do if indy happened to people like me, who live, work, pay taxes in Scotland but have an English accent.
My sentiments too! their behaviour makes me ashamed to be Scottish! and often have thoughts of wanting to leave Scotland if they were to get Independence

Reactions: 12
It really is the most unfriendly and unpleasant place to live if you have a non northern English accent.
All this talk of Scotland being a welcoming, friendly country is a load of bull💩.
People like Nicola sturgeon have encouraged this hatred with lies and cheap tricks.
She's as bad as Nigel Farrage.
Scotland has a real problem with unfounded hatred and they need someone in to sort it, not someone that will further use it as a tool for their own benefit.

Reactions: 15
Sadly the independence movement have always on the fringes had people who despise the English going as far as to suggest that even people born in Scotland but to English parents who moved up here and stole the jobs should not be allowed to vote in an independence election. Reads like its from a manifesto from any ultra national party.

Reactions: 4
It really is the most unfriendly and unpleasant place to live if you have a non northern English accent.
All this talk of Scotland being a welcoming, friendly country is a load of bull💩.
People like Nicola sturgeon have encouraged this hatred with lies and cheap tricks.
She's as bad as Nigel Farrage.
Scotland has a real problem with unfounded hatred and they need someone in to sort it, not someone that will further use it as a tool for their own benefit.
its unpleasant being a Scot, who doesn't support them! and what abuse you can be subjected to!

Reactions: 9
unless you live south of Birmingham (the northerners get a pass from the hate because they are apparently just as oppressed as the Scottish :eyeroll
Cornwall is the poorest county in the UK, in areas when I live in the West Country there has been no funding or help from Westminster for this level up business even though it’s desperately needed. Shouldn’t Scotland feel the same sort of empathy for us? Bloody silly behaviour of some of them.

Reactions: 1
its unpleasant being a Scot, who doesn't support them! and what abuse you can be subjected to!
I'm Scottish, live in Glasgow and don't recognise any of this stuff that various posters had claimed has happened!!! Particularly not the Twitter posts claiming that English people will rounded up and sent back to England.

Anybody with an ounce of common sense would realise that a large number of English people living in Scotland actively support independence. For a lot of them it seems to be part of reason they've left England.

I've no doubt that there are tensions between people who want independence and people who don't. But I genuinely feel that some posters are gilding the lily here.

If anybody has suffered people shouting at them for having an English accent, that should be reported to the police.

Personally, I am a supporter of independence but not a supporter of Nicola Sturgeon. But there's no doubt the SNP have now lost their figure head and have potentially troubled times ahead.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Cornwall is the poorest county in the UK, in areas when I live in the West Country there has been no funding or help from Westminster for this level up business even though it’s desperately needed. Shouldn’t Scotland feel the same sort of empathy for us? Bloody silly behaviour of some of them.
Totally agree, the Scottish have done very well over the years, ok so there is revenue from the oil, going into the UK coffers but it's companies like BP and Shell who make the profits, they drill it and sell it.

Cornwall and other areas are also disproportionately affected by ridiculous house prices due to outside buyers and little in the way revenue creation. As I said I do feel that the whole of the UK should work for the benefit of the people, no one should be unable to buy or securely rent a house at a decent price, everyone should have opportunities to thrive financially and yes I agree that the current system most certainly benefits the few, that's what needs to change, will that happen. I hope it does.
---
I'm Scottish, live in Glasgow and don't recognise any of this stuff that various posters had claimed has happened!!! Particularly not the Twitter posts claiming that English people will rounded up and sent back to England.

Anybody with an ounce of common sense would realise that a large number of English people living in Scotland actively support independence. For a lot of them it seems to be part of reason they've left England.

I've no doubt that there are tensions between people who want independence and people who don't. But I genuinely feel that some posters are gilding the lily here.

If anybody has suffered people shouting at them for having an English accent, that should be reported to the police.

Personally, I am a supporter of independence but not a supporter of Nicola Sturgeon. But there's no doubt the SNP have now lost their figure head and have potentially troubled times ahead.
Sorry I have to disagree, I have seen some very ugly behaviour from the YES brigade in the last few years and some terrible abuse directed particularly at the Southern English, and as I have just replied to the previous poster, many areas of southern England are in dire need of help as well. We do need change, but I think we need to work together to make it happen.

Eta I'm Scottish, and live in Ayrshire, though I lived in England for a while and my daughter was born there although we moved back to Scotland when she was very young, but I remember some so-called friends being horrified that my daughter was English and that was in 1994

Last edited:

Go on some of the independence blogs....Barrhead Bhoy is one and there will often be posters talking about restricting votes to non Scots - with English been mentioned and people are not shouting them down

Reactions: 4
Sadly the independence movement have always on the fringes had people who despise the English going as far as to suggest that even people born in Scotland but to English parents who moved up here and stole the jobs should not be allowed to vote in an independence election. Reads like its from a manifesto from any ultra national party.
Precisely this. Replace the word English in that statement with "immigrant" and you have something straight out of the UKIP manifesto.

Go on some of the independence blogs....Barrhead Bhoy is one and there will often be posters talking about restricting votes to non Scots - with English been mentioned and people are not shouting them down
Thanks I will look at this - which independence blog is this???

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.