NHS medical secretary job!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi!

I have secured an interview for medical secretary job within the NHS! I have applied so many times and eventually I have got somewhere!
So now I have the interview I am second guessing myself if I should go for it or not?
Been with my job for 10 year now but lockdown and working from home for a year has literally made me hate it! Only thing that is holding me back is my great team and boss who have been so kind over the years!
NHS would be amazing to work for, is there any med secretary’s out there who can tell me how you find your job etc?
I know I’m being stupid and obvs just interview stage but it makes me feel nervous 😂

I think it depends on whether you’d be working in primary or secondary care NHS and lots of other factors.

What’s your current job? Will this one pay more?

I think it depends on whether you’d be working in primary or secondary care NHS and lots of other factors.

What’s your current job? Will this one pay more?
It’s for a breast clinic in a surgical department within the hospital.
it’s more money, part time though so only £80 more.
I currently work in the car insurance industry.

same commute, hours are the same, by my work are very flexible with me when it comes to childcare, appointments etc.

I don’t work for the NHS however my husband is a consultant for the NHS and wouldn’t be without his secretary, however, as he said, it’s not perfect. It can get very political and bitchy (place dependant) and he said it seems there is no middle ground - it’s either extremely busy or his secretary has nothing to do.

That being said, the job security and annual leave within the NHS is amazing.

I think the NHS is just like anywhere, you get the good, the bad and the ugly but my husband couldn’t function without his secretary (I think sometimes if he could marry again it’d Be her!)

Reactions: 3
I don’t work for the NHS however my husband is a consultant for the NHS and wouldn’t be without his secretary, however, as he said, it’s not perfect. It can get very political and bitchy (place dependant) and he said it seems there is no middle ground - it’s either extremely busy or his secretary has nothing to do.

That being said, the job security and annual leave within the NHS is amazing.

I think the NHS is just like anywhere, you get the good, the bad and the ugly but my husband couldn’t function without his secretary (I think sometimes if he could marry again it’d Be her!)
thanks for your reply!
Yea my mam said it can be bitchy and very full on!
exactly the pro’s of working for the NHS out way any job really don’t they!
I just had a total wobble about it even though it was me who applied 😂 and it’s just an interview! think the interview scared me as I haven’t had one for 10 year! 🙈
need to grow my lady balls!

I was a medical secretary for 18 months for a consultant orthopaedic surgeon - loved the actual job role side of things but the work environment made my life hell. Bitchy women who worked there since the Middle Ages not liking new blood coming in. Caused me to have a mental breakdown and go off sick! Please don’t let my experience tarnish your opinion though, every workplace is different.

Interview tips - read the job description and pick up on key buzz words e.g organisation skills, time management and use them in your interview when they ask questions. Like other posters have said, the NHS offers great job security & opportunities for progression.

Best of luck!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
Look at the trust values and try to memorise these as they often throw a question at the end asking you to show how you've demonstrated one of these in the past (they're usually individual buzz words!)
The NHS is very process driven, and outcomes are important, but the interview process is about YOU and how you can demonstrate why you're the best candidate. Like the others have said, scrutinise the person spec and come up with examples of how you meet them; eg. Ways you demonstrate effective organisational skills, or times you've used your initiative.
And come up with a question for them at the end.. Ideally not about your annual leave entitlement (😂) but ways they can support you, or the biggest challenges faced by the department currently, etc.

Good luck! ♥

Reactions: 1
I was a medical secretary for 18 months for a consultant orthopaedic surgeon - loved the actual job role side of things but the work environment made my life hell. Bitchy women who worked there since the Middle Ages not liking new blood coming in. Caused me to have a mental breakdown and go off sick! Please don’t let my experience tarnish your opinion though, every workplace is different.

Interview tips - read the job description and pick up on key buzz words e.g organisation skills, time management and use them in your interview when they ask questions. Like other posters have said, the NHS offers great job security & opportunities for progression.

Best of luck!
Thank you for reply!
I’m sorry it caused you to go off sick!
Thanks very much for the tips! Weekend of revising🙊
Exactly, I’ve decided to go for it I have nothing to loose as of now! Might not even get the job 😂

Look at the trust values and try to memorise these as they often throw a question at the end asking you to show how you've demonstrated one of these in the past (they're usually individual buzz words!)
The NHS is very process driven, and outcomes are important, but the interview process is about YOU and how you can demonstrate why you're the best candidate. Like the others have said, scrutinise the person spec and come up with examples of how you meet them; eg. Ways you demonstrate effective organisational skills, or times you've used your initiative.
And come up with a question for them at the end.. Ideally not about your annual leave entitlement (😂) but ways they can support you, or the biggest challenges faced by the department currently, etc.

Good luck! ♥
Thanks so much for your help! That’s helped loads! Will get on revising!

Thank you for reply!
I’m sorry it caused you to go off sick!
Thanks very much for the tips! Weekend of revising🙊
Exactly, I’ve decided to go for it I have nothing to loose as of now! Might not even get the job 😂

Thanks so much for your help! That’s helped loads! Will get on revising!
PS... Just to say. If it's on Microsoft teams, you can use the sticky notes app on your desktop that will show them to you but not the interviewer. You can just add key words you won't forget and carry on as normal 😉

PS... Just to say. If it's on Microsoft teams, you can use the sticky notes app on your desktop that will show them to you but not the interviewer. You can just add key words you won't forget and carry on as normal 😉
Omg that would be unreal! It’s in the office though unfortunately! Thanks for the tip if I have interview like that in the future 🙊

Did you get the job role? I had an interview today for a trainee secretary but unfortunately wasn’t successful. Does anyone have any interview tips for secretarial roles

Did you get the job role? I had an interview today for a trainee secretary but unfortunately wasn’t successful. Does anyone have any interview tips for secretarial roles
I haven’t had my interview yet!
Sorry you didn’t get the job! Take it as a learning curve to know what to expect next time!
There’s so many people applying at the minute it’s a dog eat dog world out there for jobs!

I think for secretarial roles interview questions seem to focus on attention to detail, perhaps in drafting letters and reports, so emphasise that you have good attention to detail and an eye for proofreading and checking your work.
Confidentiality, good diary management. Good IT skills, quick to learn new in house computer systems.
If you don’t have lots of experience I would recommended getting a Microsoft qualification or typing/audio typing and any admin focused qualification.

Best of luck!
I've recently started working in an office with medical secretaries doing their admin. A similar thing has happened to one of them who has only been there eight months. Essentially driven out due to bitchiness. It took me a month or two to figure out who the poisonous one was, and unfortunately she is all matey with the lead secretary and fills her ears. Between them they just witch all the time.

The secretary who is leaving warned me to watch my back. Very telling. I definitely prefer patient facing and not being trapped in an office with people who have been there too long for their own good.

But sorry, OP, not wishing to be negative. As mentioned, not everywhere is the same. One advantageous thing about being in the nhs is lots if admin roles do come up and there can be a lot of movement around departments which gives you more opportunities.

Not a secretary job, but I also have an interview for the NHS as a Facilities Assistant (Domestic)

Probably a long shot, but was wondering if anyone knew anything about the role, the job description is super vague and I'd like to know what to say if they ask about my understanding of the role.

(Would've posted own thread but not tattled enough yet!)

Not a secretary job, but I also have an interview for the NHS as a Facilities Assistant (Domestic)

Probably a long shot, but was wondering if anyone knew anything about the role, the job description is super vague and I'd like to know what to say if they ask about my understanding of the role.

(Would've posted own thread but not tattled enough yet!)
My partner works part time in the Facilities department in a hospital and says this:

It's important that you're aware that the job requires you to be comfortable with working alone and working as part of a team. You need to convey that you have an understanding of infection control, proper hand washing techniques and NHS values. You must make clear that you are adaptable when it comes to working in different locations in the hospital.

The role would require you to be comfortable with being anywhere in a hospital, including a Covid ward, and be able to undertake repeated cleans of bed spaces. You'd need to be able to communicate with patients and other staff in a friendly manner.

Your job would basically be to ensure the location you are in adheres to the strictest infection control guidelines and is spotless. You'd do this with support of a supervisor above you and the nursing or departmental staff around you.

Your job will require close coordination with nurses and other staff, so it's best to make clear you're looking forward to being part of a multidisciplinary team with the aim of putting the patient first.

Hope this helps! Good luck x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Omg that would be unreal! It’s in the office though unfortunately! Thanks for the tip if I have interview like that in the future 🙊
You can take a note book in with you with your notes in - i have taken this to all my interviews and really helps. This was a tip given to me by JPMorgan (they made my department redundant so did interview skills workshops!).
I work for NHS in an admin type role but it definitely varies where you are located. I'm at a hospital which I prefer as more going on and lovely team. Found GP surgeries can be bitchy.
I'd try and get a feel for the place whilst you're there. Good luck!

My partner works part time in the Facilities department in a hospital and says this:

It's important that you're aware that the job requires you to be comfortable with working alone and working as part of a team. You need to convey that you have an understanding of infection control, proper hand washing techniques and NHS values. You must make clear that you are adaptable when it comes to working in different locations in the hospital.

The role would require you to be comfortable with being anywhere in a hospital, including a Covid ward, and be able to undertake repeated cleans of bed spaces. You'd need to be able to communicate with patients and other staff in a friendly manner.

Your job would basically be to ensure the location you are in adheres to the strictest infection control guidelines and is spotless. You'd do this with support of a supervisor above you and the nursing or departmental staff around you.

Your job will require close coordination with nurses and other staff, so it's best to make clear you're looking forward to being part of a multidisciplinary team with the aim of putting the patient first.

Hope this helps! Good luck x
Thank you so much! x

I spent three years working as a Medical Secretary, for a Consultant Neonatologist. Loved working for her, and the nursing staff on the ward were very friendly too.

But there are two types of medical secretary. One being efficient, very good at what they do, dedicated and easy to talk to when you need their assistance in any way. Then there are the lazy, two faced ones that hoard patient notes, won't hand them over (honestly) and just make trouble.

Good luck with your interview, and if you get the job I'm sure you'll be the efficient kind.