New York! (Let’s pretend covid doesn’t exist lol)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How far in advance did you all book/do you recommend booking? I'm reluctant to book at the minute with the way things are but some of the hotels mentioned here are already booked up for the end of 2021/start of 2022!!

My dad went for his 50th and he said Times Square and defo a walk round Central Park. He also said he loved just grabbing a coffee sitting outside with it people watching and just watching the world go by watching the police the people coming back from work etc just life in NY he loved that! Xx I want to go for my 30th (I’m nearly 28) but I do get panicky abroad so not sure :( xx

Reactions: 1
How far in advance did you all book/do you recommend booking? I'm reluctant to book at the minute with the way things are but some of the hotels mentioned here are already booked up for the end of 2021/start of 2022!!
I very much doubt that with the way the situations are in America right now! If its free cancellation for any reason and money isn't the issue, I would book it if you're particular about location and where you want to stay. But honestly, they'll always be a hotel rooms available in NYC, whatever the season! I booked everything in Feb/March 2019 for an early Sept 2019 stay. Beautiful big hotel, tucked away and not right in TS but not only a few mins walk away. NYC is noisy at all times so if possible, book a room on a higher floor or ask for one. We always pop it in our comments for the hotel and they're usually accommodating.

If you want to go to the theatre/broadway, you can usually get tickets the morning of. So don't stress. Same with many of the other attractions. The only one I struggled with was not getting tickets to an NBA game but the resellers were too expensive. Obviously all this covid permitting!

We booked in May and went in July the same year! You will need a lot of time to plan what you’re going to do 🤣

Comfy shoes is my first tip! Walking from place to place is best as you can take it all in!

We stayed at the New Yorker hotel, wasn't a modern up to date hotel but it suited us fine as a base and if your lucky you can get rooms with amazing views of the empire state. (We also went for 4 days but managed to fit LOADS in)

I wouldn't recommend a city pass as you are limited in the times you can enter places, you've also got to go to the venue, book your time slot/pick tickets up etc then go back at your alloted time. Much better buying online beforehand.

A Revolut card is something to look into if you don't have a credit card. (They're a debit card that works via an app but theres no fee for spending on it)

Check hotel resort fees! Sometimes these aren't clearly mentioned on websites and you can get a shock upon check-in.
Likewise, most hotels charge an incidentals fee (you get this back, as long as theres no damage to the room) but most hotels require a credit card for this.

As someone else has said, be careful of the dressed up characters in Times Square. They can be very pushy for money, even if they catch you taking a sneeky photo of them! Likewise with guys that are "selling cds" (which are usually blank) try not to engage in conversation and just politely refuse.

A broadway show is a great thing to fit into your trip. We saw School of Rock and it was amazing. We got a good deal online a few nights before our trip and just picked our tickets up at the theatre on the night.
Theres the Times Square tkts booth too where you can get discounted tickets for shows that night.

If your not afraid of heights, I recommend the Empire State and Rockefeller building. (Rockefeller daytime, early morning is less busy and Empire State in the late evening)
Of course the Statue of Liberty is a must too, either just to get a glimpse of her on the free Staten Island ferry or on the paid ferry that takes your over to the island. (You can go up into the crown but you have to book these tickets weeks in advance and its VERY steep steps inside!)

A walk around Central Park is amazing, just soaking up the feel for the city.
A walk across Brooklyn Bridge too and down into DUMBO for the iconic photo of the bridge between the buildings photo!

I could honestly go on and on! 😂 I went in Jan 2019 and it was just amazing (my first time flying too!)

We would have loved to have gone at Christmas time but the prices were SO much cheaper in Jan (luckily the Rockefeller tree was still up as we went right at the beginning of Jan)

Sorry for the huge reply! I can't sleep and just couldn't stop typing 😂 Feel free to pm me if you need any other info/tips 🙂

Last edited:
If you want to save money look at staying in Brooklyn - Brooklyn heights/ Williamsburg. Rather than paying manhattan prices. Only minutes on the subway; and a taxi wouldn’t be very expensive

There are also certain attractions cheaper/free on certain days so look that up. I know the 9/11 memorial was free on Tuesdays - not sure if it still is haven’t been since November 2019!

I love NYC. We've visited twice, I want to go again next time at Christmas. We visited in January (so so cold) and August (super humid and warm).

Top tips;

- Free tours by foot (name of the company) are excellent and do super interesting tours of all the different neighbourhoods
- Smorgasburg is a must if you are foodie; excellent market - we visited the one in Brooklyn and it was amazing
- Chelsea Market; also a great foodie spot
- I've done Rockefeller Centre, Empire State and the new WTC observation deck
- Have chinese food in Chinatown - we went to Nom Wah Tea Parlour and it was great
- If you go in the summer, the subway will be revoltingly hot
- Beware of illegal hotels; these are rife in NYC. Usually if a price seems to good to be true, it is
- If you are only there for 4 days, don't consider doing any of the trips out of the city (like to the outlets), honestly your time is better spent in NYC

If you are looking to save money on accomodation, look into Long Island City. We stated near the river in LIC, right on the subway track and saved a bundle but it was so so handy for getting in and out of Manhattan.

Reactions: 2
We eloped to New York so its very special to us :) I would go back in a heartbeat and found the people lovely!

- Comfy shoes and clothing as walking is a must
- Plenty of Dollars
- Staten Island Ferry
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Greenwich Village
- 9/11 Memorial
- Shopping on 5th Avenue
- Times Square
- Black Tap Burgers
- Get lost in Central Park
- Pass for the Subway
- Grand Central
- Angelo's Pizza on 117 W 57th
- Empire State Building
- ENJOY!!!!!
- Get a takeaway ordered to your hotel room (we done this after a longgg day of walking)
- Be prepared to tip

We took a day to jersey mills shopping outlet and tbh I bought more on 5th avenue etc and didn't see much difference is price🤷‍♀️
Do not i repeat DO NOT eat in Ruby Tuesdays on times square, worst decision of our holiday (and on our last night too) so overpriced and overcooked!! We had been warned to stay away from big chain restaurants etc and to eat where the locals eat, so totes our fault!
You will absolutely love it
Also thanks to all the other posts, i will be using all your recommendations for our next trip over 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We eloped to New York so its very special to us :) I would go back in a heartbeat and found the people lovely!

- Comfy shoes and clothing as walking is a must
- Plenty of Dollars
- Staten Island Ferry
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Greenwich Village
- 9/11 Memorial
- Shopping on 5th Avenue
- Times Square
- Black Tap Burgers
- Get lost in Central Park
- Pass for the Subway
- Grand Central
- Angelo's Pizza on 117 W 57th
- Empire State Building
- ENJOY!!!!!
- Get a takeaway ordered to your hotel room (we done this after a longgg day of walking)
- Be prepared to tip

We took a day to jersey mills shopping outlet and tbh I bought more on 5th avenue etc and didn't see much difference is price🤷‍♀️
Do not i repeat DO NOT eat in Ruby Tuesdays on times square, worst decision of our holiday (and on our last night too) so overpriced and overcooked!! We had been warned to stay away from big chain restaurants etc and to eat where the locals eat, so totes our fault!
You will absolutely love it
Also thanks to all the other posts, i will be using all your recommendations for our next trip over 😘
Hello , very late to this thread but hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

We are looking at eloping to New York next year (with 2 children) we haven't booked anything yet. I've found a wedding company and picked the week want to go but do you have any tips please?

The wedding company have said it's memorial day of the Monday of the week we want to go so things are closed. Will that matter being a tourist? Just we picked that week due to it being half term.

Also to add I'm from the UK.

• Heart
Hello , very late to this thread but hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

We are looking at eloping to New York next year (with 2 children) we haven't booked anything yet. I've found a wedding company and picked the week want to go but do you have any tips please?

The wedding company have said it's memorial day of the Monday of the week we want to go so things are closed. Will that matter being a tourist? Just we picked that week due to it being half term.

Also to add I'm from the UK.
Hey, aww great news!
We booked everything ourselves and didn't use any wedding company. Our wedding photographer acted as our witness and he fast tracked us on our wedding day too which was great as there can be a long wait - I can give you his contact if you want. I also booked hair and makeup and she came to my hotel the morning of, she was fab again I can give you here contact. We booked the blakley Hotel which was very central and they had a suite with living room which was good when it came to getting dressed etc. Our hotel also organised a car for us to city hall and we jumped in a yellow cab to take us back again. Re memorial day just bare in mind the day you choose to get married as you need to obtain your license 24 hours before you can legally get married and government buildings will be closed that day, other than that it would just be like a public holiday here in the UK. We started the license process online here which speeds things up. Make sure you bring all your id with you both days.
I would do it all over again tomorrow, we have even talked about renewing our vows back there in 10 years lol
If there is anything else you want to know just ask 🥰

Hey, aww great news!
We booked everything ourselves and didn't use any wedding company. Our wedding photographer acted as our witness and he fast tracked us on our wedding day too which was great as there can be a long wait - I can give you his contact if you want. I also booked hair and makeup and she came to my hotel the morning of, she was fab again I can give you here contact. We booked the blakley Hotel which was very central and they had a suite with living room which was good when it came to getting dressed etc. Our hotel also organised a car for us to city hall and we jumped in a yellow cab to take us back again. Re memorial day just bare in mind the day you choose to get married as you need to obtain your license 24 hours before you can legally get married and government buildings will be closed that day, other than that it would just be like a public holiday here in the UK. We started the license process online here which speeds things up. Make sure you bring all your id with you both days.
I would do it all over again tomorrow, we have even talked about renewing our vows back there in 10 years lol
If there is anything else you want to know just ask 🥰
Aw great thank you so much, we've never been to New York so we're probably crazy getting married there first time going there but its why we're using someone to organise it through. They sort all the paper work and meet you at the clerks office , they book the location and can add extras such as photographer, hair/make up , cars etc.

I'm quite superstitious so wouldn't want to be with my partner the night before 😆 did you just stay together?

Also what did you do after the ceremony? Did you book somewhere for a meal and drinks?

• Heart
Aw great thank you so much, we've never been to New York so we're probably crazy getting married there first time going there but its why we're using someone to organise it through. They sort all the paper work and meet you at the clerks office , they book the location and can add extras such as photographer, hair/make up , cars etc.

I'm quite superstitious so wouldn't want to be with my partner the night before 😆 did you just stay together?

Also what did you do after the ceremony? Did you book somewhere for a meal and drinks?
We had never been before either so it was a wedding, honeymoon and holiday all in one 🤣
Yes we stayed together the night before lol we prob broke all the wedding rules as he even zipped me into my dress 😂 but we are still together so hopefully not jinxed🤞
We went to the view restaurant that rotates, what a view, it was lovely and the waiters made us feel special as our hotel concierge booked it and told them it was our wedding meal🥰
We asked the concierge most nights for restaurant recommendations and they were all fab! Stay away from the chain restaurants you'd get here in UK.

• Heart
We had never been before either so it was a wedding, honeymoon and holiday all in one 🤣
Yes we stayed together the night before lol we prob broke all the wedding rules as he even zipped me into my dress 😂 but we are still together so hopefully not jinxed🤞
We went to the view restaurant that rotates, what a view, it was lovely and the waiters made us feel special as our hotel concierge booked it and told them it was our wedding meal🥰
We asked the concierge most nights for restaurant recommendations and they were all fab! Stay away from the chain restaurants you'd get here in UK.
Aw how lovely sounds amazing ❤ I've always been a "big wedding" person, even when I first got engaged but the more we've looked into it and at different venues I just can't justify £20'000 + , each to their own but its made me realise I would much rather spend the money on doing something

Thanks so much again I will probably be back with more questions

• Heart
Aw how lovely sounds amazing ❤ I've always been a "big wedding" person, even when I first got engaged but the more we've looked into it and at different venues I just can't justify £20'000 + , each to their own but its made me realise I would much rather spend the money on doing something

Thanks so much again I will probably be back with more questions
The cost is crazy isn't it😱
Happy planning 🥰 I still have my wee notebook I wrote things in when booking everything, I love reading back over it.
You're welcome and yes anytime ❤

• Heart
The cost is crazy isn't it😱
Happy planning 🥰 I still have my wee notebook I wrote things in when booking everything, I love reading back over it.
You're welcome and yes anytime ❤
We've pencilled in a date for June next year (paying deposit this week)

I've got a wedding package the only thing I haven't asked for is flowers (just going to take artifical as u think they will be expensive to buy fresh) and a musician.

what location did you hold the wedding if you don't mind me asking? I'm just not sure what to do about music

Ours has also escalated slightly we may have 5 or 6 guests 😬 lol

• Heart
We've pencilled in a date for June next year (paying deposit this week)

I've got a wedding package the only thing I haven't asked for is flowers (just going to take artifical as u think they will be expensive to buy fresh) and a musician.

what location did you hold the wedding if you don't mind me asking? I'm just not sure what to do about music

Ours has also escalated slightly we may have 5 or 6 guests 😬 lol
Oh yay!!! So exciting 🥰
We just bought our flowers and button hole outside before we went in, our wedding was all in city hall with just ourselves and photographer (also our witness) we had no one else with us. I remember watching a few elopements on YouTube before we went and some had music playing on their phones during the ceremony, we choose not to and tbh ours was so quick there would have been no time lol but I suppose it just depends what sort of day you are after, ours was simple, city hall, in and out, just us two.
In June time an outdoor elopement would be fab - try this link

❤xx

• Heart
We are going to NYC this year and I'm so excited! We just booked it. Will be scouring this thread for tips.

• Heart