Netflix’s I Came By

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone watched this yet? I was really surprised how bad it was a considering the calibre of actors involved.

Reactions: 4
Yes I thought it was very weak. To me it felt like an extra long episode of a generic crime drama. It started off okay but just fell flat. I actually think Hugh boneville wasn’t a good choice for the role. He’s a decent actor but he just didn’t work in this.

Reactions: 3
Saw it at the weekend. Not enough time spent developing the characters or their backstories, so didn't care about Toby at all, plus George McKaye is far too old to play an embarrassing sulky teenager. Annoyed at Kelly Macdonald's character sitting outside in her glaringly obvious bright blue car all the time. Her scenes with Jay were ok though.

Bonneville was the best thing about it, but it could have been so much better. Felt like a lot had been cut.

Reactions: 6
I thgt what did i just waste part of my life on. I thght they would survive but no. Just rubbish in my opinion

Saw it at the weekend. Not enough time spent developing the characters or their backstories, so didn't care about Toby at all, plus George McKaye is far too old to play an embarrassing sulky teenager. Annoyed at Kelly Macdonald's character sitting outside in her glaringly obvious bright blue car all the time. Her scenes with Jay were ok though.

Bonneville was the best thing about it, but it could have been so much better. Felt like a lot had been cut.
That was my issue - I didn’t care for any of the characters enough. The timeline was weird too.

Reactions: 5
It was neither scary nor thrilling. It reminded me of those Harlan Coban books they are always dramatising, trailer is always the best part.
I can only imagine the big name actors they get for those and this movie had an extra mortgage payment and needed the ££££ 😂

It was neither scary nor thrilling. It reminded me of those Harlan Coban books they are always dramatising, trailer is always the best part.
I can only imagine the big name actors they get for those and this movie had an extra mortgage payment and needed the ££££ 😂
The Harlan Coban series have been quite good. The one with Richard armitage was a bit weird but 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Decidedly average. The jumps in the timeline where comical.
Yes this was my feeling.
I thought Hugh Bonneville playing against type (and doing it rather well) was the best thing about it.

The timeline jumps were so jarring. One character says oh I've got a baby now (or whatever) - thereby demonstrating we've skipped 6 months. Ugh.

Toby was totally miscast, surely there is at least 1 actual 23 year old British actor who could've played the role?! Also was he meant to be well spoken, or a bit London or what, because his accent seemed to veer wildly. The backstory was also really poorly explained, unless you were meant to have zero engagement with or sympathy for Toby...so his mate has no family, no money and has been in trouble with the police/ in prison, Toby's a middle class kid whose mum is a psychologist, lives in a nice house yet considered himself to have as terrible a life as his mate, wtf?!

Reactions: 2
The Harlan Coban series have been quite good. The one with Richard armitage was a bit weird but 🤷🏻‍♀️
I wanted to like them but found them piss poor to be honest, the one with Kush Jumbo and then there was the one with Dexter, lots of incidental loud background music to expresss suspense and wooden acting. I switched off after a few episodes.

Reactions: 4
So crap, but watched another by the same director on Netflix today called Wounds. This was even worse! Starred that creep Armie Hammer and Dakota Johnson. Didn't make any sense lol.

I wonder if it would been better as a mini series?

I did think it was strange that they made a point of saying the male characters were 23 when they clearly looked closer to 30. And I didn’t get why Toby was the way he was (duck-up, hating life) other than having an absent father who died.

The bit where Downton Abbey flushed Toby’s remains down the bog was a bit grim, and I thought sure to block the toilet.

It started off okay but the middle bit was awful. Agree with the timeline weirdness as well -one minute she's just pregnant, then the baby, then they're split up. Toby had no redeeming qualities which didn't help and the Mum didn't have much of a character to her, just changed to where the plot was at that point.

Another swing and miss from Netflix

Glad I’m not alone on feeling this way about it.

I had really high hopes, but it was dreadful. So many unanswered questions. I’m not sure if I missed a plot line, but why was the guy Toby initially found left alive? Considering how quickly HB’s character was to act on the others who entered his house, I don’t understand why that guy was still alive?

I had the assumption that he took pleasure in keeping that man as a prisoner. Others were random people he barely knew, but he had a particular hatred for that man.